Albums of the Year 2015

blandy

1) Faith No More - Sol Invictus: A terrific comeback from FNM, up there with some of there best stuff in my opinion. Cone of Shame a delight!

2) Dan Mangan & The Blacksmith - Club Meds: Caught this by chance and loved it, don't know much about him/them.

3) Dungen - Allas Sak: Another great album from the Swedish psych-rock group.

4) King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Quarters: Four tracks of sublime goodness, their album Paper Mache Dream Balloon is also stunning.

5) Tame Impala - Currents: Grower of the year for me, having loved his/their earlier stuff, was knocked sideways by how synthy it sounded on first listen but definetely grew on me.

6) Matthew E. White - Fresh Blood: Rock N' Roll is cold is one of my tunes of the year, the rest of the album is brilliant too.

7) Duke Garwood - Heavy Love: It's no surprise he's collaborated with Mark Lanegan, gravelly voiced and blissful guitaring. A real treat for me.

8) Patrick Watson - Love Song For Robots: Another beautiful piano based album from Patrick Watson, the title track is gorgeous.

9) Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Multi Love: Another grower and one that I was lucky to see translated on the live stage.

10) Pond - Man It Feels Like Space Again: Up with their best, another sonic blast of psychedelic rock.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

They are basically fusion jazz. Nearest comparison would be someone like Weather Report or late Miles Davis - although Sylva is a bit different to their other albums, as they are working with a orchestra, making it a bit more classical/'soundtrack-y'.

Oh crap. I've just has a quick listen and I quite like it. I'm going to have to eat humble pie with little bro now :(

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, choffer said:

Oh crap. I've just has a quick listen and I quite like it. I'm going to have to eat humble pie with little bro now :(

Shame you missed the tour, they were fabtastic live, had a real New Orleans funk feel under the jazz-rock soloing. 

• Like 1

Although I picked Get To Heaven as my album of the year (and the best I'd heard for quite a while), I have to say that Steven Wilson's excellent "Hand Cannot Erase" ran it close, followed by Foals with "What Went Down".

I bought the Snarky Puppy album but was quite disappointed with it. Maybe it was the orchestra and the live recording, but it didn't do it for me as much as "We Like It Here" or "Ground Up"

Haven't been on here in a while but I came back for this thread...usually delivers some goodies. I'll go:

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly

2. Kelela - Hallucinogen

3. Grimes - Art Angels

4. DJ Koze - DJ Kicks

5. Floating Points - Elaenia

6. D'Angelo - Black Messiah

7. Roisin Murphy - Hairless Toys

8. DJ Richard - Grind

9. Bjork - Vulnicura

10. Beach House - Depression Cherry

Honourable mentions:

CFCF, Max Richter, Julia Holter, Glenn Astro, Darkstar, The Internet, Lakker, Special Request, Acre

• Like 2

It's definitely interesting. Doesn't necessary mean it's for everyone. It's quite different from her earlier stuff, takes a lot of the styles of 90's teen pop but repackaged into some really addictive tracks with a bit of attitude and a healthy does of weirdness. I'm a big fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv9YoYCKNoE

Edited by PatrickCousens
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Xann said:

Is this interesting?

Found her earlier gear initially fascinating but actually quite a shallow listen.

Although I personally love it, I'd say this new one is a lot more shallow and less 'interesting'. It's a straight up pop record with no bells and whistles like her earlier albums. Just straight up hooks, but I love it for that.

I can get the Jane Weidlin references, less so Royksopp.

There's less emotion on this record perhaps, but it's very self aware. It's not going for earnest depth, it's a personal take and in some ways a bit of a wry swipe at that artificial pop that we grew up with in the late 90s and early 00s. I certainly don't doubt her influence over the output. 

I doubt the next album will sound anything remotely like this, I hope it's a bit weirder and more meandering, but as a stand alone I have to applaud this one, I have enjoyed it a lot. 

On 15 December 2015 at 23:16, MrDuck said:

Played ...more than any other new releases this year...

mms2295826.jpg

I've (till now) never heard of her, but having listened on the spotify thing, I quite like that. It's a bit like the SOAK album in some ways.

I quite liked Future's mixtapes 56 nights and Beast Mode and the 'No Drake' version of 'What a Time to be Alive. Also Peewee Longway's Blue M&M2, Miley Cyrus and her Dead Petz (well some of it) Aphex Twin's soundcloud (or what I've heard of it), I thought the Jessica Pratt album was alright as well. There's quite a few things that I haven't listened to yet, I'll probably find my favourite release of this year, a few years down the line. I still haven't heard Daphne Oram's 'Pop Tryouts'. I thought Fossils' music on their split with Bill Shute was really interesting but that only amounted to about ten minutes.

14 hours ago, Xann said:

Bought reruns of crazy expensive older stuff like Morricone/Italian soundtrack, Library gear -  Stringtronics/Peter Thomas and some previously unreleased older tunes.

Might get around to the Oddisee, apart from that it was the Reso album 'Ricochet'.

I'll give that Reso album a listen Dave. In general I find Hospital Records output pretty vomit inducing but that sounds like it might be OK. 

On the DnB front I did pick up this Sully EP recently, which definitely deserves a mention for some expertly delivered old school Bukem vibes.