Andy Gray Commentary

Denaldinho

Don't miss him as I don't watch football unless it's Villa.

But...on the occasions I have heard him he seemed to be very anti-Villa. Strange considering he was pretty much a goalscoring legend here.

Don't miss him as I don't watch football unless it's Villa.

But...on the occasions I have heard him he seemed to be very anti-Villa. Strange considering he was pretty much a goalscoring legend here.

Both he and Richard Keys front the shows for BeIn Sports in the Middle East now. Whenever the Villa are on he is critical, but in no way different to us on here. He still talks about the stature of the club and always seems to want us to win, even if his analysis isn't as informed as you'd expect from someone that has ties with the club.

You can tell he's very fond of both Villa and Everton, and Keys always refers to him as a Villa fan. I remember watching a game on Sky years ago when he was in the gantry with two of his kids and they were decked out in full Villa kits.

The Sky product has definitely taken a hit since Gray and Keys were bombed out of the organisation. Both are total clearings in the woods in their own right, but they've not yet found as capable a presenter as Keys, and Gray brought a lot of personality (and relative skill) to his role as co-commentator and 'analyst'. They certainly haven't replaced Gray from the co-commentator stand-point, but probably have with his 'analyst' role (G Neville). Neville just doesn't carry over as a co-commentator IMO.

• Like 1

I've not had Sky since I moved out of my parents house 15 years ago, but we had Sky all the way through the 1990s (dad got it for Bruno vs Tyson in '89) so I watched a lot of Andy Gray back in the day and he always struck me as being pro Villa. When hosted that tactics show, Andy Gray's boot room, in the middle of the week where they would break down the weekend action there was a Villa shirt with "GRAY 9" prominently on display. 

He's always lived in Brum (well, just outside of Knowle) as far as I'm aware.  I know he works for beIN sports these days, is he based in their London office or has he moved out to Qatar?

• Like 1

The Sky product has definitely taken a hit since Gray and Keys were bombed out of the organisation. Both are total clearings in the woods in their own right, but they've not yet found as capable a presenter as Keys, and Gray brought a lot of personality (and relative skill) to his role as co-commentator and 'analyst'. They certainly haven't replaced Gray from the co-commentator stand-point, but probably have with his 'analyst' role (G Neville). Neville just doesn't carry over as a co-commentator IMO.

Agree with the last bit. As an analyst Neville is excellent.

I really don't like him as a co-commentator though.

i like him as both. i like that he actually has tactical knowledge which you can hear in game. Most recent one i can remember talking about schwienstiger pressing cazorla etc (although apparently it wasnt his fault but more rooney/depay fault)

could argue you want to see that in the studio instead of the commentators though

I've not had Sky since I moved out of my parents house 15 years ago, but we had Sky all the way through the 1990s (dad got it for Bruno vs Tyson in '89) so I watched a lot of Andy Gray back in the day and he always struck me as being pro Villa. When hosted that tactics show, Andy Gray's boot room, in the middle of the week where they would break down the weekend action there was a Villa shirt with "GRAY 9" prominently on display. 

He's always lived in Brum (well, just outside of Knowle) as far as I'm aware.  I know he works for beIN sports these days, is he based in their London office or has he moved out to Qatar?

Both he and Richard Keys are both Qatar based for the entire season Rev.

Agree with the last bit. As an analyst Neville is excellent.

I really don't like him as a co-commentator though.

I prefer a solo commentator myself, but that doesn't happen anymore...but as far as co-commentators go, Neville is among the best, IMO. Some of the mouth breathers you find elsewhere are just brutal to suffer through. Neville makes sense, good observations, and just seems comfortable doing it. You listen to Lee Dixon and you might as well just lie down and go to sleep.

• Like 1

Â