The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

2 minutes ago, DK82 said:

I like how cup games have to be included to improve Sherwoods win ratio. Second to none? More like second to nan.

Why wouldn't I mention them? They were games played. 

I did alsot add the premier league points record separately

10 hours ago, Neil said:

Sometimes I wonder if us fans expect too much, and maybe we don't see the bigger picture.

But we were all calling this team in the pre-match thread, I even used the words "tasty"...low and behold a good selection went on to play better and won.

Neil, we don't know the half of it..... we only see what happens on match day.

sure some have snippets from the inside, but even then, it is only snippets.

Great building block last night....credible performance with all players buying in.....great result and importantly at Home.

lets see if we can apply a tad of consistency to it, by putting in a performance on Saturday......baby steps.

our record at home has been turgid, so this was great.

29 minutes ago, DK82 said:

I like how cup games have to be included to improve Sherwoods win ratio. Second to none? More like second to nan.

Looking at league another way

Sherwood: 8 defeats in 10 league games

Garde: 5 defeats in 10 league games.

(Spurs game excluded)

As DCJ says, it's not much. But we're clearly becoming harder to beat, even if it's still far from good enough.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Let Sherwood go, he inherited a team shackled with negativity but with all the elements of a team in place then he rode a wave of near euphoria over the summer, changed a lot of peoples minds back end of last season and then totally **** us up royally.

Garde on the other hand walked into the most horribly poisonous situation and has been tasked with creating a football team from the various shattered pieces left behind. It was an already hopeless situation, the fact he has managed to get a performance from this group like last night is a minor miracle IMHO. 

Someone asked how it compared. 

Great that Remi got his first win last night but it will mean nothing if we don't build on it. Too many times this season it has been 1 step forward followed by 2 steps back. For example we got a good point against Citeh and then followed it up with a heavy loss at Everton. Played well at home to West Ham and then put out two gutless displays at Norwich and Sunderland. I think we're down but please Villa build on this win and try to get at least 4 points from the next two games

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Garde - 1 win and 5 draws in 11 games. 7 pts from 10 league games.

Sherwood - 3 wins and 1 draw in 12 games. 4 points from 10 league games. 

Not much in it. But a big improvement last night and hopefully leads to more wins and more points. 

Or presented in a less Sherwood-centric manner

Sherwood's last 10 PL Games  = 1 points

Garde's first 10 PL Games = 7 points

• Like 1

10 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Final point. Really nice comments from Pardew tonight regarding the performance and towards the club in his post match interviews. Hats off to the bloke.  

Agreed - thought Pardew was brilliant in his interview.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Let me clear I like him he comes across as a decent honourable intelligent man.  My beef with him is the performances and results. He improves them then fair play

Same.

4 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Or presented in a less Sherwood-centric manner

Sherwood's last 10 PL Games  = 1 points

Garde's first 10 PL Games = 7 points

Sherwood only managed 10 Prem league games this season and we took four points. Regardless though his time is in the past and I think as a club we spend too long looking back and wallowing in what we think so and so did wrong and focusing on those that have f all to do with us going forward.

For the first time in a very long time we have a positive result to build on. Lets focus on that and look forward.

Just now, bobzy said:

Agreed - thought Pardew was brilliant in his interview.

Not to derail the thread too much, but Pardew has almost resembled a decent human being since being at Palace. Completely different character to his Newcastle days, and always seems to speak well of our club.

Back on topic, I think that lacklustre nature of the performance against Wycombe could have worked in our favour. I think Garde wanted to use the game to see which players wanted the fight, hence his team selection against Palace.

Hopefully we can get something against Leicester to build some momentum. Plus, we owe them one! 

Â