The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

On 02/01/2016 at 00:41, Blasterpocket68 said:

No I don't want him sacked that would now be pointless (no pun intended)

Everyone has the right to change there mind I guess? Lol

Blasterpocket68     19

• Blasterpocket68
  • Full Members
  • 81 posts

We prepare for the championship. 

Nigel Pearson should be appointed now.

Edited by Barney_avfc

Honestly? Very poor performance so far. If the season was not over you'd be tempted to say we've got to try again.

However, it is. I don't think we've anything to lose by keeping him on, seeing if he can wrestle it back and look to build. There is nobody available to my mind that it's worth ripping it up again mid season.

I wouldn't spend big in the January window. We will go down, we will need football men in at the club from there. We will need to tear the squad apart and start again. Again. We are lucky because every single player in that league will want to play for us.

Good luck Remi. I think you need it.

I'd agree with this and I think you sum up the mood music amongst most of us. There is no point getting rid now or, unless this run without a win was to get to ridiculous extremes, before the end of the season. Lets see how he goes and judge his overall performance then and decide if it warrants him continuing beyond the end of this season.

However that shouldn't mean we can't pass judgement on how he has done so far and along the way between now and the end of the season.

I totally agree and the lack of fight would be terrifying if we weren't already ****. I am in the camp that expects that to be naturally within most footballers, so why can't he find it?

Luck has played it's part, like in their first yesterday. But there are a ton of issues that are undoubtedly coachable, such as their complete inability to defend as a unit when under pressure. That I can't abide. They've gotten worse.

They were shocking yesterday. I traveled 270 miles to watch that and I was as angry as anyone. He takes the brunt of the blame for that, absolutely. Though I was more of a "we want Lerner out" man than a boo the players man.

One thing I am glad of is that he appears to have FINALLY instigated a bit of a siege mentality. Too late, but welcome none the less.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I don't care about the "many ways of looking at it" - Garde walked into a tougher situation.

I wouldn't necessarily argue with that and it seems it would be pointless anyway. Really my main issue with Garde is that he has done no better than his predecessor which given how crap we were under Sherwood has taken some doing. I mean the least you expect is a slight upturn in results. Maybe look more solid defensively, score more goals, create more chances, show a bit more passion. But nothing. I know he inherited someone else's squad. That is what happens though when you come in part way through a season. It happened to Sherwood with us last year, it happened to one of our relegation rivals with Allardyce at Sunderland. What you have to do is get the best out of that squad and I don't think, like Sherwood this season, Garde has.

Having made the change so early Remi had a chance for me to keep us up. Just do enough to keep us in touch until January and then bring in a handful of players to hopefully push us to safety. If he could have maintained the 4 point gap he inherited that would have been great but even a 7 point gap would have done. He hasn't even been capable of doing that despite over the last month some decent fixtures.

I hope things do improve under him I really do but it is such a waste that he has been incapable of having a positive impact in time to give us the chance of improving the squad in January to help see us safe.

Really though in all of this the bottom line is that like McLeish, Lambert and Sherwood he inherited a crap situation, not one of his making, and the fault for that lies with those above him.

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm sorry Mantis, you just can't dismiss the Benteke comment as irrelevant ....its absolutely crucial.....Scoring goals to secure league points was central to the point.

Adele may be a great singer, but with larangitis, she is not going to fill the auditorium

" The many way of looking at it"  I explained mine.............They are opinions, you have clearly got yours.

So you think having a top quality striker with a proven goal scoring record out of form is comparable to having no top quality striker at all?

31 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Honestly? Very poor performance so far. If the season was not over you'd be tempted to say we've got to try again.

However, it is. I don't think we've anything to lose by keeping him on, seeing if he can wrestle it back and look to build. There is nobody available to my mind that it's worth ripping it up again mid season.

I wouldn't spend big in the January window. We will go down, we will need football men in at the club from there. We will need to tear the squad apart and start again. Again. We are lucky because every single player in that league will want to play for us.

Good luck Remi. I think you need it.

Where I'm at pretty much, if the rest of the season goes like he is now - massive failure.

As it is there isn't much to salvage now, and like you said there is no one worth getting to risk making a 3rd start all over again.

I'm not anti garde, and was never hugely pro the likes of allardyce either...I was sold by others optimism that this guy was the option who could make us more than the also runners.

I'm still not turning on garde, but I'm hugely underwhelmed which is part fault to my blind optimism.

Like you, I see no point I'm changing now but I am kicking myself that we didn't go for allardyce back then.  I suppose at the time I didn't know how badly we were condemned to relegation.  Caught in the excitement of our "best summer ever" when the reality is we need a steady pair of hands to stop the rot.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm sorry Mantis, you just can't dismiss the Benteke comment as irrelevant ....its absolutely crucial.....Scoring goals to secure league points was central to the point.

Adele may be a great singer, but with laryngitis, she is not going to fill the auditorium

" The many way of looking at it"  I explained mine.............They are opinions, you have clearly got yours.

The biggest issue with Benteke last season is that we stopped playing to his strengths as we had lost the ability to create chances having become far too negative. Sherwood came in and changed that. In fact he gave a number of players the confidence to go out and just play most notably Benteke, Delph, Cleverley and Grealish. It was very short lived but enough to see us safe.

Edited by markavfc40

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

Do you stick or twist

Do we sign Players with one eye on the championship? getting " PREPARED"or

do we sign players to have one last blast at staying up.

We are in the championship next year, there is no point whatsoever in signing players to stay up. Garde if he is to stay probably needs to replace in total about 14 players, he may as well try and do as much has he can in January  so the bulk of the players will be here next season so in the summer there will be a minimal squad rebuild. 

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

That's hardly a fair comparison. When Sherwood came in last season we weren't several points adrift with no confidence and we had one of the best strikers in the league.

Very true.

It's the hate Sherwood gets compared to Paul Lambert that I don't get.

Paul Lambert presided over some of the most embarrassing results in our history. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Very true.

Paul Lambert presided over some of the most embarrassing results in our history. 

His transfer policy and management kept us in the league. It's really not surprising we have become a car crash after he left. Benteke's health basically coincided with Sherwood's run as has been stated ad nauseam. Everyone involved in the club over the last few years harbors some blame for where we are but for goodness sake don't start beating this dead horse again.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Very true.

Lambert is easily the worst manager in Villa recent history. Clubs like Stoke and Everton are signing creative players and playing them as they built a defence and he never really put much effort into it

plus some of results and performances were dreadful. losing 8-0 and having 2 barren runs of about 7 games in he same season

54 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Lambert is easily the worst manager in Villa recent history. Clubs like Stoke and Everton are signing creative players and playing them as they built a defence and he never really put much effort into it

plus some of results and performances were dreadful. losing 8-0 and having 2 barren runs of about 7 games in he same season

Nope dont agree two seasons lambert was decent. sherwood had he been here three seasons i think we would quite comfortably be a midtable championship team by now. lambert bought arguably our best striker in last 5-10 years.

2 hours ago, Barney_avfc said:

Everyone has the right to change there mind I guess? Lol

Blasterpocket68     19

• Blasterpocket68
  • Full Members
  • 81 posts

We prepare for the championship. 

Nigel Pearson should be appointed now.

Barney yes ! Lol we do . We can sit and watch teams continue to dismantle us or give the job to someone with some Balls who understands the championship and what it takes to get out of it. 

WHY  continue to experiment !!!!! I don't get it.

of course In my opinion !

Lambert was far from decent

Season 1: embarrassing 8-0 defeat along with other shockers like vs Spurs and WIgan and only saved by a top striker and b Wigan collapsing

Season 2: slight improvement, played well against big teams but choked against smaller teams then a late season collapse nearly relegated us

Season 3: diabolical, couldnt score in a brothel and managed a criminal performance vs Hull

we conceded 130 goals in his 2 full seasons in charge

4 goalless games now for Blackburn

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Ok sit on the fence and continue to watch the decline

What a ridiculous comment. So because I don't want some backwards manager who will only be a good short-term option at best that means I'm just content to "watch the decline"?

I'm not even sitting on the fence either - I've already said I think we should stick with Garde.

Â