The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

said it before I dont mind getting relegated but its the manner in which we go down. This is gutless, clueless and hopeless and in fairness to Tim and Remi that transfer committee should be sacked first

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he were out of the door by next weekend.

Unless he resigns there is no chance this will happen. He is the long term plan even if that includes relegation, I'm sure of it. 

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

If anything a higher priority should be clearing out certain players. Things have been rotten for years with multiple managers at the helm. I suspect there's some really bad influences in the dressing room.

players to clear out; guzan, hutton, richards, lescott, clark, richardson, gueye, gardner, nzogbia, agbonlahor, sanchez, sinclair, grealish, gestede

• Like 4

Just now, KHV said:

players to clear out; guzan, hutton, richards, lescott, clark, richardson, gueye, gardner, nzogbia, agbonlahor, sanchez, sinclair, grealish, gestede

you be quicker doing a players to keep list ;)

He will get the chance now to do something in the transfer market, he knows he needs a striker and it will hopefully spell the end of Gestede as there's no denying that he is terrible. We also need a good defensive midfielder and a goalkeeper. He deserves the chance to build his own team as the damage was done when he got here and it would of been a massive job for any manager to turn it around. Things are bad now and while I see plenty of faults atm, I want to see if he can improve things after the transfer window.

...and drop richards or play him at right back!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thevillanofoz said:

The problem with Garde is that if we continue like this, he ll be ruined by the end of

the season, in the same way Lambert fell apart at the end it will happen to Remi and then he really won't be the right person for the rebuild.

You cannot ruin something that is already bad

• Like 2

Just now, mikeyjavfc said:

Unless he resigns there is no chance this will happen. He is the long term plan even if that includes relegation, I'm sure of it. 

I just don't agree that anyone at this club has any sort of 'plan', let alone a long term one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Am I the only one who does not see a single difference between this team and Sherwood's Villa? Its hard to tell what, if anything, he does.

I don't see much difference, either.

Garde's saving grace is that he isn't Sherwood.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thevillanofoz said:

The problem with Garde is that if we continue like this, he ll be ruined by the end of

the season, in the same way Lambert fell apart at the end it will happen to Remi and then he really won't be the right person for the rebuild.

keeping an eye out for the Lambert style transition from 'Ex-footballer' to 'fat homeless person'.

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

Am I the only one who does not see a single difference between this team and Sherwood's Villa? Its hard to tell what, if anything, he does.

There are loads of differences, imo.

Unfortunately, the things that really count, defending and scoring goals, are the same, and that's what will see us down.

I think we control games more now than we did under Sherwood. We often look like the "better" team in games far more than we did under Sherwood.

Unfortunately, when you're about as effective at keeping goals out as a wet tissue and haven't figured out how to put the ball in the net, it doesn't really matter.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

There is no improvement is there. To suggest there is would be beyond clutching at straws. I know some hated Sherwood. I get that but making out his replacement has done better doesn't make Sherwood a worse manager. For me Sherwood did a poor job and so far Garde has been equally has bad. Sherwood had the advantage of a pre season with some of the players (some didn't sign until late in the window), and Garde has had the advantage that the lads new to this country have had longer to settle under him.

Is nine games too early to judge? possibly but then equally so you could argue ten games under Sherwood with this squad was also. You know what I honestly don't know. What I would say is though that I would put my house on had Sherwood have stayed we'd be no worse points wise than we are now which really begs the question what was the point in changing manager. Not one of us would have envisaged or accepted his replacement having seen us get 4 points from 9 games, concede a 18 goals, score 7 and go from 4 points from safety to 11 and one point above 20th place to sitting 20th seven points behind the 19th placed side.

Remis time here has so far been nothing short of a disaster.

Spot on. I think the suggestion that we have improved at all is utterly delusional thinking. 

I think Zatman made the comparison with Alain Perrin and it's a pretty good one.  

• Like 1

The best I can feel towards Garde is that I don't think there is a manager out there who could do significantly better with this lot. 

The question for me now is will he be the right man to bring us back up. 

I honestly don't know, but my gut feeling is no but I'm happy for him to be given the chance. I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I just don't agree that anyone at this club has any sort of 'plan', let alone a long term one.

If you think about the club has tended to flip flop under Lerner from resolutely following a long term plan as it increasingly damages the club (MoN's free reign, Lamberts slide into the abyss) followed by a period of mindless reactive decisions which inflict their own brand of damage (McLeash, Sherwood). 

I have a feeling Garde is the long-term variety.

Â