Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

5 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

seems Arsenal's Mathieu Debuchy might be heading to Germany, after it appeared Aston Villa are not keen on paying his loan fee.

In the past couple of weeks, Debuchy has been heavily linked with a loan move to Aston Villa, and he also admitted talking to Aston Villa manager Remi Garde over the phone about a possible loan move.

Debuchy: "Aston Villa are in great difficulty, and that's why I'm taking time before making a decision. They're a big English club, and I'm not ruling out the possibility. I have also talked to Remi Garde over the phone."

According to Calciomercato, Aston Villa are not prepared to pay Debuchy's 'buyout clause', and he could now accept the offer from Bayer Leverkusen. We'd like to believe by 'buyout clause' they mean loan fee, as The Telegraph also confirmed the same yesterday.

Reports suggest Aston Villa are reluctant to pay huge amounts in the transfer window this month, as they're already preparing for relegation. Arsenal are demanding a loan fee of £1.25 million, which is proving to be a stumbling block for Aston Villa, as they've also pulled out of a loan deal to sign Bordeaux defender Lamine Sané.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/arsenal-star-ready-to-accept-transfer-to-bundesliga

So it seems £1.25m may now represent a "huge amount" to the bean counters at our football club :rolleyes:. I guess the next flags they give to fans will be white ones for us to wave as we go down and our "big club" status is further eroded before our very eyes. Sad days indeed!  

10 minutes ago, av1 said:

Welcome to VillaTalk. Mr Chairmam :)

Joking aside I can't agree with either of the points I have highlighted. 

On the first point, I think it's essential that we strengthen the squad because what we have is bottom of the league for a reason. And that means spending. 

Which brings me to the 2nd point. I'm not sure I would use the term "rolled the dice"  in signing the players you mention, to quote an old phrase, Lambert was given peanuts so ended up with monkeys.Those players were signed primarily because they were cheap, yes it was a gamble, and one that didn't pay off. And spending a bit of money is (imo) exactly the way to avoid those errors in the future.  The amount of money we spent on left backs is still a running joke, Lambert wanted to buy Creswell, and may have done with a little more backing. Instead he has to go shopping around the back waters of Europe, 4 lefts backs later we still haven't solved the problem, its a false economy. 

Money doesn't guarantee success, but the type of aggresive cost cutting we have seen over the last 5yrs was always going to guarantee failure. 

You don't think we've solved the problem of left back?

3 minutes ago, John said:

So it seems £1.25m may now represent a "huge amount" to the bean counters at our football club :rolleyes:. I guess the next flags they give to fans will be white ones for us to wave as we go down and our "big club" status is further eroded before our very eyes. Sad days indeed!  

1.25 million could sort out the stationary for the backroom staff, an employ a stationary manager, they keep running out of rubbers you know. An also refurb the bogs in the staff areas, including soft toilet tissue, give the maintenance guy a pay rise.  We have gotta start thinking of the structure of the business, make it nice and smart for our staff an customer base.

• Like 1

I admit i had kind of forgotten about Amavi due to his injury, but given that one injury has meant swapping between Bacuna and Richardson (before recalling Ally) I'd say we still have a problem there. 

Amavi kind of proves the false economy point though, spend more than a bag of peanuts and hey presto, you get an actual football player ;)

I've not got the time or inclination to do the maths, but I'd wager that Amavi cost less in total (ie price tag & salary) than the figure wasted on Luna, Bennett, and Richardson. I dare say he will have a much higher resale value as well. 

I think it just shows just how difficult buying in January is, especially when you're bottom and have little money to spend.  Full back seems pretty much settled now so I think spending £1.2m on a loan for Debuchy is a bit of a waste of money and a loan place.  Striker however it is worth paying a decent loan fee, I'd love it if Remy came in.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John said:

Not that I'm one to defend our board, far from it, however in this circumstance it makes sense. 

Although Debuchy probably improves us, he won't improve us by a sufficient amount to justify £1.25m plus his substantial wages, for four months, with no chance of signing him next season. Right backs really aren't all that important. Plus with Richards now slotting into his rightful position, we will be more solid down that flank. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

So QPR got 64 mill for finishing bottom last year - if we get that this year then £40 mill parachute payment the following year, we're not talking about a huge loss in income compared to what we were earning (not compared to how much better off prem teams will be next season) - with wage reductions as per what Fox said, money in from player sales - then surely we're looking pretty healthy for some new additions to the squad, according to Remi's vision and a promotion push. Got to be what is keeping Remi in the job.

Don't forget the £23m of Lerner's own money that will also be invested, just like last summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeneralJazzman said:

Discussion is good, I like discussion. That's why I am here, plus the different views are important. Not complaining just noticed that people have turned on Grealish and Gabby, I am putting a case forward that maybe spending isn't necessary and won't be done if we have options already if their attitude changes.

I hope we do sign a striker, and agree maybe our academy isn't producing the goods. But we have rolled the dice with players like Tonev, Sylla, Helenius, Luna let alone Bowery that has cost us. I don't want us to make another error like that.

We have made progress under Garde, a player who doesn't fit may disrupt or even halt progress. 

Gabby will never change. Grealish is just out of form at the minute and hasn't got a proven PL record to point to to show he can do it. I think he'll come good but we need an out and out goalscorer with mobility. 

Edited by dn1982
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, John said:

Well seeing as we'd agreed the £1.2m fee by most accounts a few weeks ago and Debuchy wasn't sure on the move its a case of who you want to believe as no one knows for sure but most go with which ever article suits their feelings of the club at the minute. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, av1 said:

Welcome to VillaTalk. Mr Chairmam :)

Joking aside I can't agree with either of the points I have highlighted. 

On the first point, I think it's essential that we strengthen the squad because what we have is bottom of the league for a reason. And that means spending. 

Which brings me to the 2nd point. I'm not sure I would use the term "rolled the dice"  in signing the players you mention, to quote an old phrase, Lambert was given peanuts so ended up with monkeys.Those players were signed primarily because they were cheap, yes it was a gamble, and one that didn't pay off. And spending a bit of money is (imo) exactly the way to avoid those errors in the future.  The amount of money we spent on left backs is still a running joke, Lambert wanted to buy Creswell, and may have done with a little more backing. Instead he has to go shopping around the back waters of Europe, 4 lefts backs later we still haven't solved the problem, its a false economy. 

Money doesn't guarantee success, but the type of aggresive cost cutting we have seen over the last 5yrs was always going to guarantee failure. 

True you get what you pay for but our scouting and academy is an issue, as with previous points I have made I agree our squad needs additions. But should be aware of needless spending. Signing a player just for the sake of it, as targets aren't available isn't good business or football sense. We needed players under Lambert and we gambled on them paying off, that's a roll of the dice to me, a gamble. 

How much did Mahrez, Vardy cost Leicester? How much did Scholes, Beckham, the Nevilles cost United? There other examples such as the academy at Southampton that have been productive in recent years. 

I think the infrastructure that needs improving is our scouting network and our academy. There will be gems out there it can be difficult to get them and bed them.

4 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

All I could see was,"Get them and bed them". No in or down was used.

Stop trying to get yourself off the hook. lmao!

I thought down would sound worse! Lol. If you take a lot of words out of context they can appear bad.

As for employee / board member, not guilty. 

seems Arsenal's Mathieu Debuchy might be heading to Germany, after it appeared Aston Villa are not keen on paying his loan fee.

In the past couple of weeks, Debuchy has been heavily linked with a loan move to Aston Villa, and he also admitted talking to Aston Villa manager Remi Garde over the phone about a possible loan move.

Debuchy: "Aston Villa are in great difficulty, and that's why I'm taking time before making a decision. They're a big English club, and I'm not ruling out the possibility. I have also talked to Remi Garde over the phone."

According to Calciomercato, Aston Villa are not prepared to pay Debuchy's 'buyout clause', and he could now accept the offer from Bayer Leverkusen. We'd like to believe by 'buyout clause' they mean loan fee, as The Telegraph also confirmed the same yesterday.

Reports suggest Aston Villa are reluctant to pay huge amounts in the transfer window this month, as they're already preparing for relegation. Arsenal are demanding a loan fee of £1.25 million, which is proving to be a stumbling block for Aston Villa, as they've also pulled out of a loan deal to sign Bordeaux defender Lamine Sané.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/arsenal-star-ready-to-accept-transfer-to-bundesliga

£1.25m represents over 1% of our turnover. People may not *think* that's a "huge" amount, though that isn't the clubs wording either to be fair. It represents a significant amount from a business perspective when he's unlikely to give us anywhere near the improvement we need. Look how many people moaned at the Ilori deal.

An £8m striker, by an ambitious owner, might be a different story.