Rules in rugby that should be in football

villanwesty88

I think you're banking on the certainty that a decision will be right

The rules of football are different from the ones that they are using the TMO for, did he step out, did he ground the ball, was it knocked on etc the only really uncertain decisions that are still grey areas on the grounding of the ball in the middle of a ruck

The problem with football is look at the offside decision vs Leeds today, very harsh but maybe right, on a different day that's a goal, on different days with two different TMOs you'll get two different decisions, the best example in my head is Suarez vs us, you'd still get a "wrong" decision because it's still some blokes opinion, how many fouls now are from contact around the shoulders that for some reason makes the players knees give way? How many video refs would still call it a foul simply because there's contact?

I've got no confidence in video refs actually making football better, it'll have too much of an impact without making decision making 100% guaranteed right

I think sin bins for cynical fouls designed to break up play and diving is a good idea.  Football could do without that shit and a yellow card just isn't adequate imo.  Also I like the refs having cameras as it gives a better insight as to what they can and can't see when they are making their decisions, but that's not really going to have an impact on the game as such, it's just a tool.  I don't think TV replays would work in general.

• Like 1

I think you're banking on the certainty that a decision will be right

The rules of football are different from the ones that they are using the TMO for, did he step out, did he ground the ball, was it knocked on etc the only really uncertain decisions that are still grey areas on the grounding of the ball in the middle of a ruck

The problem with football is look at the offside decision vs Leeds today, very harsh but maybe right, on a different day that's a goal, on different days with two different TMOs you'll get two different decisions, the best example in my head is Suarez vs us, you'd still get a "wrong" decision because it's still some blokes opinion, how many fouls now are from contact around the shoulders that for some reason makes the players knees give way? How many video refs would still call it a foul simply because there's contact?

I've got no confidence in video refs actually making football better, it'll have too much of an impact without making decision making 100% guaranteed right

I hear what you're saying but feel that some aspects of the game are black and white. You are either offside or not, be it by 1mm or 2m it's still offside, just like if a ball has crossed the line or not. Some decisions are subjective but given the officials a chance to review what has happened would surely give them an increased chance of getting it right? They could admittedly still get a decision wrong but at least absolutely obvious ones or stupid behaviour (e.g Costa) doesn't get missed. Costa was punished after but what good was that to Arsenal during the match, had he been correctly sent off then the game takes a different path.

I can't recall what happened with Suarez vs us? 

I also get what people are saying that it could slow the game down. Perhaps if teams had a certain amount of challenges like in tennis that would be worthwhile? I just think decisions could be tightened up and overall it would improve player behaviour and we could spend our time talking about ability/tactics etc instead of "what if Vidic was sent off" etc. 

As a football referee myself, referees at the top of football being stronger on dissent. I have 3-4 cautions every week for dissent and usually one off for foul and abusive language. It's sad really and yet on the pitch next to mine which was rugby there was nothing to speak of, only the captains spoke to the ref and anyone who stepped out of line was pulled off the pitch instantly by their coach..

• Like 4

There's two things I'd like to see, and none of them are specific rules.

Physios allowed on the pitch when the match is still going on.
This, for me, would stop the feigning of injuries. It would no longer give players an advantage if they roll around pretending they're injured. If there's an injury, you play on. The physio can come on and treat the player and they become a natural hazard. The referee still has the power to stop the game if the injury is bad or if the player is in an obviously obstructive position (6 yard box for example) but in general the game goes on.

The second thing is just having rules actually enforced. The problem with football is they seem too bothered about upsetting players. Rules just aren't enforced. Shout or swear at the ref? Book them. Goalkeeper holds onto it for too long? Free kick. Time wasted? Add it on and book the player. Players get away with too much and it would be a much more disciplined game if they actually enforced rules.

• Like 3

Suarez vs us was where he dived to win a penalty, Guzan came rushing out stupidly, from what I can remember guzans knee might have the slightest of brushes with Suarezs right foot but that was dubious and in any case before any potential contact with the right foot Suarez rolls his left foot and starts the motion of going down, twists his body in the fall, no matter much contact there was with Guzan it was a completely unnatural fall

The strikers Union on MOTD said it was stupid by Guzan and clever by Suarez and accepted that it was a penalty, the media overall was about 50/50

You could watch it over and over at different speeds and angles and never be able to conclusively prove either way if it was a dive or not

Technology is a good thing, but not for everything.

Goalline is a start. I think offsides would be a relatively easy one to implement technology on.

General fouls and that wouldn't be able to have technology unless you limited it to challenges or something. You'd be stopping the game every 10 seconds if you did.

Technology is a good thing, but not for everything.

Goalline is a start. I think offsides would be a relatively easy one to implement technology on.

General fouls and that wouldn't be able to have technology unless you limited it to challenges or something. You'd be stopping the game every 10 seconds if you did.

Agreed

the TMO is making the refs lazier, every try is going upstairs in this tournament from what I have seen and if happened in Premier League games would last a week

I agree, I hate the constnt referal of everthing. 

Agreed with the video ref being shite.  It adds too much time and you still have no guarantee the decision will be 100% correct.  Referees will refer everything too, the last thing they want is Jose Mourinho coming out on his Monday morning press conference after his backroom staff have spent the weekend watching a DVD of the latest game his expensively assembled team have failed to win, and turning it into a debate about how they wouldn't have lost if that throw in which was given incorrectly against them a minute and twelve seconds before they conceded a goal. Referees go to the video every time both teams appeal for a throw in, broadcasters are cool with it because they get to sell the sponsorship rights to EA Sports or Coca Cola or somebody and yes, we might get one decision go in our favour every six months or so. Is that a price worth paying for killing every game you watch as a neutral? Is it ****. 

On the original post in this thread in regards to point 1.

It just wouldn't work in football. The challenge system wouldn't work unless the ball goes out of play,  but so many suspect decisions happen whilst the ball is in play.  What happens if a decision goes your way,  and you're on the counter attack to try and score but the opposition team challenge the original decision to deliberately stop play.  It would be used for the wrong reasons imo.  Decisions like "was the foul in or out the box"  or "was that a corner or a goal kick"  should be aided by technology because it would add no time at all to the game.  But generally,  there's not all that much they can use it for.  

I think maybe a challenge system would work only if you could use it in the event of a goal.  Ie,  if you think there's been a foul or offside in the build up.  

As a football referee myself, referees at the top of football being stronger on dissent. I have 3-4 cautions every week for dissent and usually one off for foul and abusive language. It's sad really and yet on the pitch next to mine which was rugby there was nothing to speak of, only the captains spoke to the ref and anyone who stepped out of line was pulled off the pitch instantly by their coach..

This is an absolutely fantastic one, and one that's easy to implement without affecting football as a game too much. It's staggering how much footballers get away with toward referees.

The solution is so simple as well. Unless you're the captain, you don't speak to the ref unless spoken to. If you do, or you show any sort of verbal dissent, you're in the book.

It would stamp out the issue in about 5 seconds.

But it would upset people for a week or two. This was my point about them not enforcing rules properly for fear of upsetting things a bit.

You're right, it would take a few yellow cards for dissent and it would stop. But because you'd have a couple of weeks of loads of yellow cards, they don't want to do it.

This is an absolutely fantastic one, and one that's easy to implement without affecting football as a game too much. It's staggering how much footballers get away with toward referees.

The solution is so simple as well. Unless you're the captain, you don't speak to the ref unless spoken to. If you do, or you show any sort of verbal dissent, you're in the book.

It would stamp out the issue in about 5 seconds.

There is an element of natural justice in Rugby which simply doesn't exist in football.  The dark arts of the scrum, the fact that you can stick one on someone who kinda deserves it and nobody really minds unless it's a blatant act of assault.  Footballers don't have as much recourse, yeah you'll get the occasional overly strong challenge on a guy who's been acting like an arsehole all game but it really is down to the referees to hand out punishments and that is why guys like Diego Costa can play on the edge of the rules so easily. His antics wouldn't last five minutes on a Rugby field. 

• Like 1

Â