Rules in rugby that should be in football

villanwesty88

I have to say rugby is breath of fresh air compared to football. I'm fed up of diving players, all the nagging from players and managers at officials, officials making incorrect decisions and much more. 

I'd personally like to see the following;

1. Referees to have access to video technology throughout the game so EVERY decision is correct. Some argue it could slow the game down but so what if we have the right decision? We could even employ "challenges" like they do in tennis perhaps?
  2. Time to be paused when the ball is out of play and there are injuries. This then avoids any injury time and ensures game time is 100% accurate. No more "Fergie time".
  3. Referees to have on board video cameras and microphones so we can hear what is being said. 
  4. Sin bins. Sometimes I think players can get a yellow card on purpose to break up an attack and it's worth doing to protect their lead. The yellow can often feel like an inadequate punishment whereas if the player went off for 10 minutes they might think twice about being unsporting. It could make for some interesting scenarios with teams having fewer players for short periods of the game.
  5. Not a rule, but sheer passion is something that has gone missing in football too often. Look at the players fighting for everything in rugby and then how gutted they are at losing. Also when they sing the anthems the passion is immense in rugby. The footballers for England are often half-hearted with the anthem but not that long ago there was a lot more passion. 1996 England football side is a good example of this. How do you get passion back or increased? I think the above rule changes would help and also if the rules on home grown players was tighter so more players play for the clubs they've progressed at. The club is more in their heart then. 

Is there anything you'd take from rugby to bring into football? Mixed fan areas? Reduced amounts of prize and TV money? Salary caps?

• Like 1

this world cup if anything IMO has shown why tv replays are bollocks, the first weekend in the games i watched the ref gave a decision didnt refer it to the tv ref only to eventually catch something on the big screen replay and change his mind, was utter bullshit, also dispelled the myth that it will be quick, it added about 10 minutes to the first half of englands game

sin bins is something platini is apparently keen on, in my head its a case of its not broke dont fix it, not needed, also not sure if itll make it more cynical, if you know your facing ten minutes off would you hack a player down? maradona best goal ever, facing ten minutes off would you just boot him? i can see it resulting in more cheating 

boozing in seats in part of a bigger issue, we're treated like second class citizens, its a **** joke how football fans get treated

injuries is a yes from me but i understand how football can switch the play far quicker than rugby can, but "injuries" has become a tactic in football as chelsea have recently shown, needs addressing 

• Like 4

this world cup if anything IMO has shown why tv replays are bollocks, the first weekend in the games i watched the ref gave a decision didnt refer it to the tv ref only to eventually catch something on the big screen replay and change his mind, was utter bullshit, also dispelled the myth that it will be quick, it added about 10 minutes to the first half of englands game

sin bins is something platini is apparently keen on, in my head its a case of its not broke dont fix it, not needed, also not sure if itll make it more cynical, if you know your facing ten minutes off would you hack a player down? maradona best goal ever, facing ten minutes off would you just boot him? i can see it resulting in more cheating 

boozing in seats in part of a bigger issue, we're treated like second class citizens, its a **** joke how football fans get treated

injuries is a yes from me but i understand how football can switch the play far quicker than rugby can, but "injuries" has become a tactic in football as chelsea have recently shown, needs addressing 

Yes but was the correct decision eventually given? Yes. 99% of the time the game isn't brought back like that, but I'd rather that than an offside goal be given against us for example.

With the sin bins I was saying the yellow card could be a sin bin, but it wouldn't affect a red card. Still 2 yellows would = off and of course you could still get a straight red. I think it would deter some unsporting behaviour. 

Edited by villanwesty88

By blind luck the ref referred it and got the decision right, in my head it'll lead to poorer refs on the field because they'll become complacent, and it's still some blokes opinion rather than fact, I'll always go back to the Suarez dive vs us 2 season a go and how everyone on here thought it was dive and MOTD described it as clever play, I'm really against it

None. Rugby is shite.

So you're happy with the current rules in football then? You never have a moan about players feigning injury, or begrudge decisions going against us that shouldn't have? If we had a video ref then in 2010 CC Final Vidic would've been sent off. But no, lets keep it all the same because football is great how it is. 

By blind luck the ref referred it and got the decision right, in my head it'll lead to poorer refs on the field because they'll become complacent, and it's still some blokes opinion rather than fact, I'll always go back to the Suarez dive vs us 2 season a go and how everyone on here thought it was dive and MOTD described it as clever play, I'm really against it

Still that was very rare and you have to admit that most decisions in rugby are correct. Definitely more so than football. Some decisions are subjective yes, but if there were a panel to decide it would surely give an increased chance of the correct decision being made. Some aspects are black and white though, like offside and they could be given correctly 100% of the time. Look at today city v spurs, I think 3 of the goals were offside and spurs equaliser was absolutely miles offside. These decisions can completely swing the outcome of a game.

I enjoyed it and I also meant it. 

Every four years, like clockwork, football fans have to deal with this horse shit.

I'm tired of the horse shit decisions and attitudes of players etc as previously mentioned. Quite often results are not what they should be and a lot of footballers are little gobshites. I'm surprised people are happy with the current state of football. 

Edited by villanwesty88

Â