The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

OK, folks, strap yourselves in. I'm going to - partially - defend the Doctor Who Tory bloke. I do think his words were twisted/taken out of context, to make him sound ridiculous. And furthermore, there was actually a germ of truth in his argument. 

I think there is a current - perfectly well-intentioned - trend to cast strong women characters as the hero(in)es in film and TV drama. The old John Wayne type hero who beat the bad guys, got the girl and rode away is, quite understandably, very much out of fashion. Unfortunately, there also seems to be a tendency to make drama aimed at young men that has 'gangsters' as the most appealing characters. It's not a new thing - I can remember the disquiet in the 1960s and 70s, when amoral anti-heroes (usually played by Clint Eastwood) started appearing. And it shouldn't be overstated - I don't think watching Peaky Blinders turns every teenage boy into a criminal thug, and there are plenty of Marvel superhero good guys - but, I dunno, I sort of see what he was getting at. It was just too easy to present as fogeyish nonsense, and it's not entirely that. 

• Like 1

Well, I’ve already made my views clear elsewhere. 

You’ve mentioned Marvel, what’s the male / female super hero ratio?

Sport, what’s the male / female ratio on sporting headline news?

What’s the ratio for male / female politicians?

Are we going to ignore the films of Tom Hanks, Depp, Damon, Freeman, Pitt, Reynolds, Clooney, DiCaprio……

I’m embarrassed for the guy and his tiny inadequate penis.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rolta said:

I see comments like this every now and again and I don't get it. She's nothing but a horror. She can barely keep her head held together. She actually comes across at times as if she's a monster wearing a human face mask. 

And she's a terrible human. She's about as monstrous as it gets. 

I get it in the most perfect of photos she looks OK, but in movement and from a step back it is a facade that disappears quickly!

Agreed. 

I wouldn't usually body shame someone, but I'll make an exception for this piece of shit.

She's a fat squatty sack of potatoes. Add that to the fact she's a complete word removed then I wouldn't touch her with yours.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed. 

I wouldn't usually body shame someone, but I'll make an exception for this piece of shit.

She's a fat squatty sack of potatoes. Add that to the fact she's a complete word removed then I wouldn't touch her with yours.

I completely agree, she heaps so much misery on so many people I think I’d raise a smile if someone slapped her round the face one day. 

On 25/11/2021 at 15:59, bickster said:

You want some real actual Tory thinking? This isn't spur of the moment stuff, he’s reading from prepared notes. He’s actually sat down and thought about this bollocks, actually considers it as a valid argument

Maybe he should have just keep quietly coining it in, rather than asking for the spotlight to shine on him a little brighter...

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Maybe he should have just keep quietly coining it in, rather than asking for the spotlight to shine on him a little brighter...

So this is the same illegal lobbying that got the other fella sacked then? 

Extract from a Mail article, an interview with Nadine Dorries:

'In a similar no-nonsense fashion, she scoffs at the claims made by fellow Tory MP Caroline Nokes that she was groped by Stanley Johnson, father of Boris.

'I don't believe it happened,' she says, sharply. ‘I have known Stanley for 15 years. He is a gentleman. It never happened to me. Maybe there is something wrong with me.’'

(from: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10247503/The-Left-loves-demonise-Nadine-Dorries-new-Culture-Secretary-human-side.html)

Now the climbdown:

'A source close to the culture secretary tried to defuse her comments. “Nadine knows she should have been clearer in her answer. Having known Stanley for so long she found it hard to believe he had been inappropriate,” they said.

“But she is crystal clear that those who experience sexual harassment should always be able to speak up and always be heard. She was not looking to denounce Caroline and regrets if that is how her comment has been received.”'

(from: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/28/fury-as-nadine-dorries-rejects-fellow-torys-groping-claim-against-pms-father)

Say something revolting, issue an apology later. Standard. Frustrating that the Guardian chose to allow 'a source close to the culture secretary' to deliver these half-assed apology, what interest is being served by granting anonymity to this person?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Extract from a Mail article, an interview with Nadine Dorries:

'In a similar no-nonsense fashion, she scoffs at the claims made by fellow Tory MP Caroline Nokes that she was groped by Stanley Johnson, father of Boris.

'I don't believe it happened,' she says, sharply. ‘I have known Stanley for 15 years. He is a gentleman. It never happened to me. Maybe there is something wrong with me.’'

(from: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10247503/The-Left-loves-demonise-Nadine-Dorries-new-Culture-Secretary-human-side.html)

Now the climbdown:

'A source close to the culture secretary tried to defuse her comments. “Nadine knows she should have been clearer in her answer. Having known Stanley for so long she found it hard to believe he had been inappropriate,” they said.

“But she is crystal clear that those who experience sexual harassment should always be able to speak up and always be heard. She was not looking to denounce Caroline and regrets if that is how her comment has been received.”'

(from: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/28/fury-as-nadine-dorries-rejects-fellow-torys-groping-claim-against-pms-father)

Say something revolting, issue an apology later. Standard. Frustrating that the Guardian chose to allow 'a source close to the culture secretary' to deliver these half-assed apology, what interest is being served by granting anonymity to this person?

Did you know there is a quote button for inserting quotes? 😉 

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

according to The Heil, Red Wall Tories have set up a Whatsapp group called Liz for Leader

On 22/11/2021 at 22:02, ml1dch said:

I just think the new crop is going to be enough (as things stand) to fall in behind Truss and give her that army of followers that you talk about

Didn't think that prediction would come true quite *that* quickly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

The funny leader experiment with Boris didn’t turn out to be as funny as most hoped. 

Johnson is an intellectual collosus when compared with Truss. Johnson has actually managed to pull the Tories together for a few years, they've prety much been speaking with one voice or keeping very quiet. I don't see Truss keeping that going for very long, it'll very quickly return to open warfare

It really is a sign of the lack of real talent in the Tory Party that Truss is even being considered as a realistic option. All the supposed heavyweights are very tainted electorally. Truss is scraping the bottom of a very large barrel

Â