The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

Which would be significant at a time when the government was making an attempt to actually govern through seeking to pass legislation...

It's instant VONC territory. Boris could actually beat George Canning's 119 days in office

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's instant VONC territory. Boris could actually beat George Canning's 119 days in office

I don't think instant (though of course it's very helpful). Presumably Elphicke and Hermon (who are not counted in figures of 'the Tory majority') will vote Confidence. It's also unclear which of Field, Austin, Woodcock, O'Mara, Lloyd etc would vote No Confidence, and which would attend. I think the Tories may need to be at about -5 or -6 before you can be confident of them losing a VONC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

This speech, both in content and delivery, makes me want to self harm...

When she said "We've never had" I found myself thinking "Please don't let it be ""we've never had it so good".  But my fears were realised.

• Sad 1

Here's the Independent MPs, all 16 of them, Which way would they vote?

Heidi Allen

Ian Austin

Luciana Berger

Nick Boles

Charlie Elphicke

Frank Field

Lady Hermon

Kelvin Hopkins

Ivan Lewis

Steven Lloyd

Jared O'Mara

Gavin Shuker

Angela Smith

Gavin Williamson

Sarah Woolaston

John Woodcock

Government plans to buy up hundreds of thousands of tonnes of unsold lamb in the event of a no-deal Brexit could be unworkable because there is nowhere to store it, BBC Newsnight has learned.

The reported plan suggested excess meat would be bought at the point of slaughter.

But figures from the industry body which represents businesses that store frozen and chilled food show they are at capacity and "full to bursting".

BBC

34 minutes ago, Xann said:

BBC

Surely they can't buy it at the point of slaughter anyway, they need to be buying it at the point of butchery, there's part of the lamb that we eat (Chops, roasting joint etc) and there's the bits we export like the less palatable bits that go to the likes of Spain and France

God forbid, the government didn't understand the issue, how did they... ah f**k it we all know

It was an offal plan

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bickster said:

Here's the Independent MPs, all 16 of them, Which way would they vote?

Heidi Allen - appears to be joining the Lib Dems, so will likely vote No Confidence

Ian Austin - voted No Confidence in Jan when still affiliated with Labour; probably the more committed to a 2nd ref Labour become, the less likely he is to vote No Confidence

Luciana Berger - currently on maternity leave; apparently not joining Lib Dems, but probably a No Confidence vote

Nick Boles - No Confidence

Charlie Elphicke - Confidence

Frank Field - see Ian Austin; voted No Confidence as an independent in Jan so might do so again

Lady Hermon - 'independent' but almost always votes with Tories; will vote Confidence

Kelvin Hopkins - see Field and Austin

Ivan Lewis - didn't record a vote in Jan

Steven Lloyd - see Field, Austin, Hopkins

Jared O'Mara - is standing down, but not sure of the timetable; cannot be relied on to attend Parliament

Gavin Shuker - unclear, but more likely No Confidence at a guess

Angela Smith - see Shuker

Gavin Williamson - not independent, is he? Anyway, definitely Confidence

Sarah Woolaston - see Allen

John Woodcock - see Lewis

These are all largely guesses, obviously, but for what it's worth I make that two definite Confidence votes (Elphicke and Hermon), one definite No Confidence (Boles), two very likely No Confidence (Allen, Woolaston), seven on-the-balance-of-probabilities No Confidence (Austin, Berger, Field, Hopkins, Lloyd, Shuker, Smith) and three more likely not to cast a vote (Lewis, O'Mara, Woodcock). 

If that's right, which it probably isn't, and assuming the Lib Dems win Brecon, then that would mean a Tory minority of 5 votes would be just enough to squeak a No Confidence through. Pretty risky though, even then; as soon as some more Tories are prepared to vote No Confidence, it becomes much easier. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Gavin Williamson - not independent, is he? Anyway, definitely Confidence

He isn't currently a member of any party, he was back in the Labour Party for about three days before they suspended him again due to them realising for once what massive idiots they were.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

He isn't currently a member of any party, he was back in the Labour Party for about three days before they suspended him again due to them realising for once what massive idiots they were.

Ah, I understand the confusion - you're thinking of Chris Williamson of anti-semitism fame, not Gavin Williamson of giant spiders and leaking national secrets fame. Anyway, Chris Williamson would be a definite No Confidence vote. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I was a kid growing up it was synonymous with being a bit mental. Being 'sent to Talgarth' meant men in white coats and a straight-jacket. Due to the hospital at Bronllys.

Anyway all I've really heard on the grapevine is that Chris Davies has been popping round to people's houses who have been supportive of him on the twitters 'n' that. So that's a thing in local politics now it seems.

And look, it's a beautiful bit of the world and I love some of it dearly, but I had to chuckle at the stock archive picture the BBC have dragged out today

Brecon and Radnorshire by-election: Voters go to the polls

Voters in Brecon and Radnorshire go to the polls on Thursday to elect a new member of Parliament.

The seat in mid Wales became vacant as a result of the sitting MP being recalled by a petition.

A total of six candidates are standing in the by-election and polling started at 07:00 BST.

Voting closes at 22:00, with the result expected to be announced in the early hours of Friday morning.

_108128924_gettyimages-486598238.jpg

" The constituency, the largest by area in England and Wales, includes the Brecon Beacons National Park "

I wonder how the waterfall will vote? :D 

Here's a couple of twunts in lovely Crickhowell the other day from a local rag.

2510_to-JRMogg-Main.jpg

Does anyone else think it looks photoshopped? or is he just stood in the middle of a Zebra crossing like he doesn't know how they work?

Anyway, most people I know will be voting for the new Liberal lady candidate to keep the tories out, whatever their political leanings, but then they did that last time and it didn't work. Might be a case of actually wanting the Brexit vote to rise from the UKIP one a few years ago as it's only the Tories they'll damage round there. Corbyn kind of caused a resurgence in the always inconsequential Labour vote round there last time out which was allied to the anti-liberal sentiment post Clegg, the UKIP vote fell off a cliff as the Farmers went back to the Tory fold after the referendum.

I think BJ turning up in Brecon for a bit and Moggy doing the rounds in Crickhowell says a lot. Rarely will you see the 'big guns' out up there and I think the Tories are worried. They need to be able to rely on their core vote or they'll lose it and the recent Euro elections saw a lot of votes swing back the way of the Brexit types.

Edited by VILLAMARV
Linky

43 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Ah, I understand the confusion - you're thinking of Chris Williamson of anti-semitism fame, not Gavin Williamson of giant spiders and leaking national secrets fame. Anyway, Chris Williamson would be a definite No Confidence vote. 

Yes apologies my brian got its Williamson idiots confused

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I think BJ turning up in Brecon for a bit and Moggy doing the rounds in Crickhowell says a lot. Rarely will you see the 'big guns' out up there and I think the Tories are worried. 

The bits I've read over the last few days suggest that they're not worried - they're resigned to it being lost. 

Lib Dems are 1/12 to win it. I do wonder though whether it might be another Peterborough though, when the NF Party were expected to take the seat fairly easily and then er...didn't.

30 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

When I was a kid growing up it was synonymous with being a bit mental. Being 'sent to Talgarth' meant men in white coats and a straight-jacket. Due to the hospital at Bronllys.

Anyway all I've really heard on the grapevine is that Chris Davies has been popping round to people's houses who have been supportive of him on the twitters 'n' that. So that's a thing in local politics now it seems.

And look, it's a beautiful bit of the world and I love some of it dearly, but I had to chuckle at the stock archive picture the BBC have dragged out today

I wonder how the waterfall will vote? :D 

Here's a couple of twunts in lovely Crickhowell the other day from a local rag.

2510_to-JRMogg-Main.jpg

Does anyone else think it looks photoshopped? or is he just stood in the middle of a Zebra crossing like he doesn't know how they work?

Anyway, most people I know will be voting for the new Liberal lady candidate to keep the tories out, whatever their political leanings, but then they did that last time and it didn't work. Might be a case of actually wanting the Brexit vote to rise from the UKIP one a few years ago as it's only the Tories they'll damage round there. Corbyn kind of caused a resurgence in the always inconsequential Labour vote round there last time out which was allied to the anti-liberal sentiment post Clegg, the UKIP vote fell off a cliff as the Farmers went back to the Tory fold after the referendum.

I think BJ turning up in Brecon for a bit and Moggy doing the rounds in Crickhowell says a lot. Rarely will you see the 'big guns' out up there and I think the Tories are worried. They need to be able to rely on their core vote or they'll lose it and the recent Euro elections saw a lot of votes swing back the way of the Brexit types.

When I was a kid your Talgarth was my Bridgend for exactly the same reason

Ah sod it I drove over that crossing only a couple of days ago, bad timing or what. Nice cafe about 50 yards further on (and yes it looks shopped - the lighting is all wrong, if it was flash his servant dwarf would have copped some of the light too)

The waterfall looks like one of the one's at Ystradfellte that I used to swim in as a kid, so technically it is in the constituency

I'm really not sure that sending Lord Snooty and BJ the Clown is the right idea, they seem to be exactly the wrong sort of Tories to send to Wales

Â