The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

16 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Is that the first time a serving minister has been forced to pay damages to avoid a libel case? I imagine that would be a resigning matter under any other administration. 

Edit - apparently she didn't have to pay damages for her libel. The taxpayer did, on her behalf. 

This gets worse...

A cabinet minister has paid damages funded by taxpayer money to an academic after wrongly suggesting she had expressed sympathy for Hamas.

Michelle Donelan, the science secretary, apologised for her comments about Professor Kate Sang and agreed to pay her an undisclosed sum on Tuesday, saying there was “no evidence” that the academic was a Hamas supporter.

It is understood taxpayers covered the sum paid to Prof Sang and that it was handed over in an effort to reduce the costs that could result from protracted legal action.

Microsoft (via the Indie I think)

• Shocked 1

38 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

That's helpful. Shall we not bother with the actual speech now as it is all relayed to the press 48 to 24 hours beforehand?

They claim they are working to net zero and freeze fuel duty again while every other western European country are miles ahead of us in EV charging points.

Public services are on their knees and they are planning yet another effective cut yet again. It's a total joke of a morally bankrupt government.  In the name of god go.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

That's helpful. Shall we not bother with the actual speech now as it is all relayed to the press 48 to 24 hours beforehand?

They claim they are working to net zero and freeze fuel duty again while every other western European country are miles ahead of us in EV charging points.

Public services are on their knees and they are planning yet another effective cut yet again. It's a total joke of a morally bankrupt government.  In the name of god go.

Yep the phrase Pre-Budget Purdah appears to be irrelevant these days

Budgets have been leaked for 15-20 years now, the budget Purdah hasn't been a thing since, to borrow a phrase from the last 4 PMs, "the last Labour government"

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Budgets have been leaked for 15-20 years now, the budget Purdah hasn't been a thing since, to borrow a phrase from the last 4 PMs, "the last Labour government"

Just makes the whole thing a further utter irrelevance and the supposed sanctity of parliament is a myth. The reduction on nonprotected departments is insane. Local government will now have had a 20% reduction in spending this parliament alone and just yesterday the biggest council in the land has had to hack £300 million out of its budget. But its a labour council so it's all their fault.  The usual screw you approach.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Absolutely chuffed for the Canary Wharf financial district managing to get £242 million of levelling up funding.

Finally some investment for the North of the river powerhouse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Absolutely chuffed for the Canary Wharf financial district managing to get £242 million of levelling up funding.

Amazing news. This and the bonus cap removal makes it’s an amazing time to be alive. I’m sure the entire country will be feeling the benefit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Amazing news. This and the bonus cap removal makes it’s an amazing time to be alive. I’m sure the entire country will be feeling the benefit.

Trickle down economics. I'm expecting a big pay rise off the back of this. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I can feel something trickling down already. 

Just now, sidcow said:

Trickle down economics. I'm expecting a big pay rise off the back of this. 

Damn you 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Always struck me as a right shithole. Deffo needs tarting up.

5 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Always struck me as a right shithole. Deffo needs tarting up.

When I stayed there for a work event last year I noticed from my hotel room there was an apartment block opposite and on these massive high rise balconies were artificial grass, kids bikes and slides etc. I just thought - Who'd want their kids playing on a balcony 50 stories up? Who'd want to raise a family in a high rise apartment? It just seemed like an utterly mental way to live unless you're a single person or maybe a young couple without a family.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I think it fits the definition of rehypothecation; which is to say, the Government is using collateral they do not own (public money) to finance future assets, that is to say, party donations.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I think it fits the definition of rehypothecation; which is to say, the Government is using collateral they do not own (public money) to finance future assets, that is to say, party donations.

All my usual sarcasm to the side.

I’d be quite sure that within sight of the big shiny silver windowed financial towers of Canary Wharf there are still pockets of deprivation hanging on trying not to be pushed out by the aggressive ‘gentrifcation’ of everything and anything touched by lots of money. There will be people that obviously don’t want to be poor, but also can’t engage with the financial jobs on offer and the creep of the £5 takeaway coffee shop and the artisan baker. 

But to put it in to context, from my own personal point of interest, the money for Canary Wharf is £242 million. The money for all Wales, three and a half million people, is £170 million.

We really do need these awful tories and tory copyists out of office for a very very long time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’d be quite sure that within sight of the big shiny silver windowed financial towers of Canary Wharf there are still pockets of deprivation hanging on trying not to be pushed out by the aggressive ‘gentrifcation’ of everything and anything touched by lots of money. There will be people that obviously don’t want to be poor, but also can’t engage with the financial jobs on offer and the creep of the £5 takeaway coffee shop and the artisan baker. 

But to put it in to context, from my own personal point of interest, the money for Canary Wharf is £242 million. The money for all Wales, three and a half million people, is £170 million.

We really do need these awful tories and tory copyists out of office for a very very long time.

Why is London getting any money is my question. Levelling up was for the UK outside of the south east to get investment to “level it up” to the facilities and infrastructure of the London region.

Not only is London getting money, it’s getting more than the entirety of Wales. It’s madness. They couldn’t even be arsed to disguise the Canary Wharf investment by saying it’s from another fund, they are calling it levelling up. What is it levelling up with? 

It would be like the PL giving out money to PL clubs to level up with the big 4 of 5, but then giving Man City more money than the entire bottom half of the table combined.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Looking at the Isle of Dogs on Google Maps, it looks to be pretty well gentrified, as compared with countless places around the UK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why is London getting any money is my question. Levelling up was for the UK outside of the south east to get investment to “level it up” to the facilities and infrastructure of the London region.

Not only is London getting money, it’s getting more than the entirety of Wales. It’s madness. They couldn’t even be arsed to disguise the Canary Wharf investment by saying it’s from another fund, they are calling it levelling up. What is it levelling up with? 

It would be like the PL giving out money to PL clubs to level up with the big 4 of 5, but then giving Man City more money than the entire bottom half of the table combined.

It’s fascinating, HSBC have announced they are not renewing their lease in 2027. So in advance of that there is development money to attract science projects to the area and new housing to the area to make the transition as seamless as possible. Years in advance of a building being vacated.

Imagine a similar level of forward planning and investment for steel workers or car makers or ship builders.

• Like 1

Just now, chrisp65 said:

It’s fascinating, HSBC have announced they are not renewing their lease in 2027. So in advance of that there is development money to attract science projects to the area and new housing to the area to make the transition as seamless as possible. Years in advance of a building being vacated.

I thought the 8,000 houses were specifically for Barking Riverside? Genuine question btw I've probably just assumed this

I ask the question because they've already built the station at the end of the DLR but haven't yet built the homes and I wouldn't put it past this govt to announce something that was already announced

Also there is currently a new consultation underway to extend the DLR via a tunnel under the Thames to Thamesmead, yes Thamesmead doesn't have a rail connection currently but it is literally down the road from Abbey Wood which is already on the shiny new Elizabeth line and the distance from Thamesmead to Abbey Wood is much less than an awful lot of people in the UK have to travel to a 2 trains a day station. Abbey Wood to Canary Wharf, -> minutes. Why build a tunnel at the cost of over a Billion quid

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

I thought the 8,000 houses were specifically for Barking Riverside? Genuine question btw I've probably just assumed this

I ask the question because they've already built the station at the end of the DLR but haven't yet built the homes and I wouldn't put it past this govt to announce something that was already announced

Also there is currently a new consultation underway to extend the DLR via a tunnel under the Thames to Thamesmead, yes Thamesmead doesn't have a rail connection currently but it is literally down the road from Abbey Wood which is already on the shiny new Elizabeth line and the distance from Thamesmead to Abbey Wood is much less than an awful lot of people in the UK have to travel to a 2 trains a day station. Abbey Wood to Canary Wharf, -> minutes. Why build a tunnel at the cost of over a Billion quid

Yep, there’s 8,000 residences in Barking as part of it. All part of an overall package with lots of national strategic infrastructure size works such as a new tunnel to extend the rail system, new housing estates, science parks. It’s every sector is being mobilised, every pool of funding being used. A new 23 storey building for Canary Wharf itself, alongside the one that will be without a tenant in 2027. A Canary Wharf life sciences park. All to coincide with the change in the planning laws where conversion of office to residential will be classed as permitted development and not require planning.

Hunt has shown he wants to redirect levelling up funding to London, Cambridge, Surrey, and Buckinghamshire. 

Â