The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

58 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Anyhoo, this new British education system looks promising.

It’s almost a shame education is devolved in all four nations.

I agree for the most part but most schools will still find it hard to recruit good teachers due to crappy pay

50 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yep, great way to absolutely sabotage any chance of a future administration re-starting it as well.  Will add hugely to any re-start as they'll have to buy the land all over again.

Yep never going to happen.

One decision by a soon-to-be ex-prime minister who didn't even with the popular vote of his own party members.

Democracy great isn't it.

This entirely political decision will have impact for decades to come. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Chat GPT and AI tools are banned in my workplace. 

Should be in more tbh. There's definitely a place for AI to be introduced in to businesses, and plenty of low-risk ways to utilise it, but I'm alarmed at how many employees happily chuck IP into it.

• Like 1

I was thinking to myself "Would be a shame if Andy street resigned. He'd really be doing a disservice to the region, think of all the changes he could fail to make if he sticks around"

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Simple. Each carriage is counted as a train. They are going to link up all 20 'trains' and that will make its way down the track once every hour.

Even better is that it only costs 20% of the current cost.

This government job thing is easy!

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

Interesting:

...crucially, everyone’s interests seemed to be broadly aligned. Manchester needed lots of money to fix its embarrassing infrastructure, and the prospect of public investment reassured and enriched the city’s biggest private investors. Conservative governments needed to show they had a plan for the country that didn’t involve capitulating to a depressing narrative of post-imperial economic decline. And a phalanx of think-tankers loved the idea of an economic plan that might spread prosperity outside of London. The Tory-Manchester consensus was firmly in place, so firmly that holding the party’s annual conferences in deep-red Manchester actually seemed to make sense.

And then, this week, the consensus was shattered. Why?

Touring my local Manchester pubs on Sunday night — chatting to Conservative pollsters and lobbyists and gossip mongers, all astonished to be buying pints of Spanish lager for less than £4 — I gradually gleaned the answer: Dominic Cummings.

My understanding is that, after studying the Prime Minister’s dreadful polling numbers in recent months, Sunak’s close advisers called the exiled Cummings in from the cold. According to a source who works inside No. 10, the advice from Cummings was bracing: shifting the public’s perceptions of Sunak would be incredibly difficult. He made clear that only very big, very noisy moves would have any chance of persuading people that Sunak is an agent of change. No. 10 needed to pick some big public fights; the more blowback from former prime ministers and big business figures the better. Or, as one insider characterised Cummings’s advice: “Do mental stuff that proves you’re not the Establishment.”

I thought of that when I read in The Times this week that the PM’s HS2 move “has been opposed by a succession of senior Tories, including three former prime ministers — Boris Johnson, Theresa May and David Cameron”. That feels like a feature of Sunak’s strategy, not a bug.

3 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Possibly a dumb question from across the pond.

What if Starmer and Labour came out and committed to the Birmingham to Manchester part of HS2? Would that been seen as a positive?

I'm not familiar with the polling on hs2 popularity, but I suspect this would be absolutely toxic to Labour, and exactly the "how are you going to pay for it" question that Starmer is doing everything possible to avoid.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

What if Starmer and Labour came out and committed to the Birmingham to Manchester part of HS2? Would that been seen as a positive?

It would definitely be a dividing line, and I would expect it to be more electorally popular rather than unpopular. Not because I think there's any great love for HS2, but on the whole people like to be told that things are being built rather than being cancelled.

As above though, the Government is scorching the earth to stop it from happening by selling off all the land already purchased for the build. So if Labour commit to following through with it, they'll be buying back the land again, and they're not going to do that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

It was always the case that a better project was to improve east / west transport links and to link up places north of Watford.

• Like 1

Â