The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, Mozzavfc said:

Looks like Andy Street is going to leave the Tory party this afternoon over the HS2 decision, but stay on as mayor

He has bottled it and is not resigning. I am sure he'll at the very least get a seat in the house of Lords out of his decision. 

• Shocked 1

Can't believe we need the cancellation of a major national infrastructure project to get potholes fixed.  Aren't they supposed to fix potholes anyway?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Can't believe we need the cancellation of a major national infrastructure project to get potholes fixed.  Aren't they supposed to fix potholes anyway?

Devolved to council responsibility apart from Motorways and a select few A roads. Nailed on that the councils won't see much

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This is exactly my understanding.  The HS2 High Speed trains will run to Manchester via the HS2 tracks then crossover to West Coast Mainline just North of Brum.

That would be insane, not only does it have the ill designed rolling stock issue but its also adding distance to the route. There's a reason Birmingham is only on a branch of the WCML and not the WCML proper

If they are doing that, what happens to the current Cross Country service between Manc and Brum? One of those routes becomes utterly pointless

Just now, Chindie said:

Phase 2 property they bought is being resold.

To their mates at knock down rates you'd guess.

Probably. But more importantly, to salt the earth so a future Government has no possibility of resurrecting it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Devolved to council responsibility apart from Motorways and a select few A roads. Nailed on that the councils won't see much

County councils too. Borough councils like Tamworth have to constantly go cap in hand to Staffordshire to get money (and get told there is none).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Yep, great way to absolutely sabotage any chance of a future administration re-starting it as well.  Will add hugely to any re-start as they'll have to buy the land all over again.

Edited by sidcow

Just now, Genie said:

County councils too. Borough councils like Tamworth have to constantly go cap in hand to Staffordshire to get money (and get told there is none).

True, forgot about County Councils as we now have a Metro mayor to replace them

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

That would be insane, not only does it have the ill designed rolling stock issue but its also adding distance to the route. There's a reason Birmingham is only on a branch of the WCML and not the WCML proper

If they are doing that, what happens to the current Cross Country service between Manc and Brum? One of those routes becomes utterly pointless

I believe it joins WCML at Handsacre which was always the temporary plan anyway till the phase to Crewe was built.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chindie said:

IIRC much of the land for the M4 relief road that never happened got bought up by ministers privately before the cancellation.

I think the govt spent a million a few weeks before they cancelled it.

I'm not suggesting they're related

We are a nation of motorists.

Accurate. But a bit depressing. We’re a nation of motorists to a large extent because the public transport offer is so poor. Now we’re going to hive off some money that could have been to improve public transport, to make car journeys a bit less shit. I live walking distance from a train station, that station is connected to a main line station that runs trains to London, Penzance, Edinburgh.

But getting the train from here to the main station costs us £12.20. We can drive and pay for parking to the same destination for under £8. The way to make things better is not to fix the pot holes in that road. It’s to make that train £7.90 and make sure it actually turns up.

The absolute cheapest two of us can get to London, travelling at the most off peak inconvenient times, is over £200. That same journey in a car costs £50 including parking in central London. For work, commuter times and weekdays, that car journey is still £50, a train just for me alone, is £240.

Making car journeys less shit isn’t the answer.  

• Like 4

Â