The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

As an NHS worker I don't know what to make of this pay offer from the government.

The money is welcome but if it's coming from cuts to NHS services or ring-fencing departmental budgets I can't see it as anything other than a massive own goal and i would be massively opposed.

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

As an NHS worker I don't know what to make of this pay offer from the government.

The money is welcome but if it's coming from cuts to NHS services or ring-fencing departmental budgets I can't see it as anything other than a massive own goal and i would be massively opposed.

What’s the offer?

£1k bonus and 5%? 

If so I’m surprised it’s considered acceptable. 

Edit: Answer my own question 

SkyNews

NHS unions have reached a pay deal with the government in a major breakthrough that could herald the end of strikes by frontline staff in England.

The offer consists of a one-off payment of 2% of their salary plus a COVID recovery bonus of 4% for the current financial year 2022/23, and a 5% pay increase for 2023/24.

Edited by Genie

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

So I guess as an example of a £35k salary it’s a £700 bonus, plus £1,400 bonus, plus 5% pay rise going forwards.

The bonus is between £1,655 and £3,789 based on your banding.

When the Taxman, NI, Student loan, Pension have had their share we will probably be left with about 50p.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Thanks 1

I'm surprised he's not slunk off quietly to rake it in on the speaking circuit. He must still believe he can actually come back as leader and win again, there's absolutely no way he's sitting on the backbenches to serve his constituents.

3 hours ago, AshVilla said:

It's being pushed by unions as the best offer we are going to get given the current financial climate.

Staff are not just striking because of the money it's the piss poor working conditions due to lack of staff because people are burnt out and gone off sick or have quit in their droves, there is something like a 150k staffing deficit.

It is not just the pay there are also non pay elements including staffing levels. This is part of what the RCN have said:

The offer made by the UK government today (16 March) is in addition to the pay rise NHS staff have already received for 2022/23. It consists of a one-off payment for the current financial year 2022/23 worth between £1,655 and £3,789 for Agenda for Change staff in England and a 5% consolidated (permanent) pay increase for 2023/24 for all those at point 2 of Band 2 and above. 

The government has also set out a series of commitments and plans to improve pay, terms and conditions over time. These include a specific commitment to the RCN to consider a new pay spine exclusively for all nursing staff, as part of work to tackle challenges faced by nurses and nursing with the intention that resulting changes can be delivered within the 2024/25 pay year.

In addition, it has committed for the first time to a national evidence-based policy framework on safe staffing, focusing on registered nurses, that will draw on legislation in the rest of the UK and internationally. Alongside this, it will produce an implementation plan for the forthcoming NHS long-term workforce plan, including an intention to reduce reliance on agency staff. 

Other commitments include permanently suspending NHS pension abatement rules, which ensure those returning to work can save more in their pensions and are incentivised to stay in the workforce. As well as this the government has committed to ensuring the pay-setting process operates effectively, tackling violence and aggression towards staff in the NHS and improving support for newly qualified nurses. 

RCN Pay Offer

Edited by markavfc40

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

any dissent is treason 

The only thing that pisses me off about this is that she is taking these journalists at our expense. Why bother as all those media outlets are only going to be preaching their biased findings to the the already converted. 

9 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

includes women and children, trafficking victims and victims and modern slavery

we truly are a shameful country

I agree, it’s disgusting, but doubt anyone will ever be sent there. It’ll be a multimillion pound money pit and nobody will ever go.

Â