The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

7 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Isn’t that what A&E is supposed to be for? Critical life threatening stuff? I know that’s the direction you are given in Australia as well. 

I think if you were sitting on the ground with a broken leg, or maybe had lost an eye or something, you might like to attend A&E rather than wait to see if you could get a doctors appointment in the morning. 

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

When ours works and is funded correctly, it is the correct approach

But what you describe isn't our approach. We have hundreds of urgent treatment centres for urgent (but not life-threatening) conditions. They're just very poorly advertised, explained, and utilised. This is intended to change as part of the NHS Long Term Plan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Plus, if you ever dial 111 then the advice is always "go to A&E".

I've absolutely no idea what the purpose of 111 is. 

Literally every time I've ever phoned it I've been advised to go to A&E. It's their standard response to everything. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You been on the Stella lately? 

You joke, but I'd expect they'd be asking the question, either with some subtlety or just outright 

My ex was training for a marathon in winter, slipped on ice, fell over in a public street and went to a&e with a busted lip, bleeding nose, cuts, a fractured wrist, and absolutely covered in pigeon shit. I got to A&E with a change of clothes, wet wipes, helped to clean her up and get her changed, and the triage nurse asked me to go and fetch her a chair. The second I was out of there she was asking if it was domestic violence, as if I'd not only kicked the shit out of her, but I'd then dressed her up in exercise gear and smeared her in pigeon shit.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You joke, but I'd expect they'd be asking the question, either with some subtlety or just outright 

My ex was training for a marathon in winter, slipped on ice, fell over in a public street and went to a&e with a busted lip, bleeding nose, cuts, a fractured wrist, and absolutely covered in pigeon shit. I got to A&E with a change of clothes, wet wipes, helped to clean her up and get her changed, and the triage nurse asked me to go and fetch her a chair. The second I was out of there she was asking if it was domestic violence, as if I'd not only kicked the shit out of her, but I'd then dressed her up in exercise gear and smeared her in pigeon shit.

Tea not on the table pal? bet it was next time

harsh but fair 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

But what you describe isn't our approach. We have hundreds of urgent treatment centres for urgent (but not life-threatening) conditions. They're just very poorly advertised, explained, and utilised. This is intended to change as part of the NHS Long Term Plan

We had one of those, they called it the Urgent Care and Trauma Centre

It confused people so they changed the sign to Emergency Department

Everyone still calls it the A&E because that is what it is and what it always was, except now it has a nice new front, an ambulances only entrance and a helipad

Nothing changed except the signs and some new features, same place, same staff

And that is the only NHS facility I've known be called Urgent Care.

The brand new Royal Liverpool Hospital opened a couple of months back (only 5 years late... cos government / Carrilion). It's called A& E

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

One of our local 'small' hospitals has a 'minor injuries clinic', but insists it has 'NO A&E'. Which requires some fine judgement on the part of the prospective patient. 

After taking a bump to the head playing rugby and having a suspected concussion, I went there (guessing you mean Otley) to get checked out as didn't want to burden A&E on a Saturday night. They wouldn't see me and sent me to St Jimmy's which was chaos. They took one look at me and said "Yup, it's a concussion. Go home."

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

We had one of those, they called it the Urgent Care and Trauma Centre

It confused people so they changed the sign to Emergency Department

Everyone still calls it the A&E because that is what it is and what it always was, except now it has a nice new front, an ambulances only entrance and a helipad

Nothing changed except the signs and some new features, same place, same staff

And that is the only NHS facility I've known be called Urgent Care.

The brand new Royal Liverpool Hospital opened a couple of months back (only 5 years late... cos government / Carrilion). It's called A& E

From some googling, Liverpool appears to be one of the few exceptions of a major urban area without an urgent treatment centre. Birmingham has one, Nottingham does, Manchester does.

They all suffer from the problems you describe - what's going to be happening on a national level though is attempting to address these educational and communication issues about what and where they are, and when to go to one instead of A&E (technically, urgent care is also A&E, they're just level 3/4 instead of a level 1 A&E)

If the "Long Term Plan" comes to fruition, we'll see more urgent treatment centres, not fewer, because they lessen the load on level 1 A&E, and are cheaper to run (they may have a lot of the same staff, but A&E requires consultant supervision whereas UTC usually just have GPs).

17 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

After taking a bump to the head playing rugby and having a suspected concussion, I went there (guessing you mean Otley) to get checked out as didn't want to burden A&E on a Saturday night. They wouldn't see me and sent me to St Jimmy's which was chaos. They took one look at me and said "Yup, it's a concussion. Go home."

Just shows how things have changed over time. As a teenager I got a concussion playing rugby. Went into A&E, was examined quickly by a Dr and admitted to hospital overnight for observation. I had puked a couple of time as well so I don't know if this made a massive difference (I suspect not). I was examined again in the morning and sent home .  This will have been 30 or so years ago. Can you imagine anyone getting a hospital bed now for a concussion?

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people still think the NHS is the thing I experienced all that time ago. The crisis it is in is still not really being covered, certainly not in proportion to the scale.

One last point. I worked selling tech into the NHS for a large part of my professional career. It was a big part of my job to understand the strategic direction of the organisation, how it was funded, what the priorities were and the political pressures.  As such I have been calling out for years that the position we are in now is the deliberate end game of consecutive conservative governments. 

Labour are not without blame here too, the Blair years, whilst good for facilities and waiting lists etc still encouraged the growth of private interest and happily sucked on that lobbying teat.

But labour wanted the NHS to work. The Tory position has, for my entire life been to break it. To stop it working so they can sell it off. This is what it looks like when it breaks. It is why they won't raise a finger to fix it. 

It makes me so angry to watch this happen over decades. It took generations to build the NHS, it is one of the few things that actually does make Britain great and the Tories have and are very deliberately stealing that legacy away from our children.

Utter **** scum.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Just shows how things have changed over time. As a teenager I got a concussion playing rugby. Went into A&E, was examined quickly by a Dr and admitted to hospital overnight for observation. I had puked a couple of time as well so I don't know if this made a massive difference (I suspect not). I was examined again in the morning and sent home .  This will have been 30 or so years ago. Can you imagine anyone getting a hospital bed now for a concussion?

To be honest the only reason I bothered going in was I'd started vomiting (wasted the post match player meal). I'd taken a knee to the temple from a prop and my face had swelled up so much my boss said I looked like the elephant man. I felt like I was an inconvenience to the hospital as they were busy dealing with drunken idiots. 

I hope that when we finally see the back of the scum that is the Conservative government there’s a shift in making a career in healthcare a more accessible and affordable option. Just to become a nurse you need to have thousands of pounds available in tuition fees, to become a doctor / surgeon the costs are much higher again - this has to change if we are to fill the open vacancies, people should be encouraged as much as possible to go into healthcare not put off it by elitism.

With the right volume of trained resources in place you can then work on bringing down waiting times and waiting lists as well as eventually being able to focus more on the ‘value-add stuff’ like mental and psychological support etc.

21 hours ago, ml1dch said:

To show my commitment and dedication to this topic, I'm currently sitting in the Southampton UTC with my eldest child who yesterday decided to do a handstand into a hanging mirror, knocking it off the wall and onto her hand. Possibly, but probably not breaking it (the hand, the mirror is fine).

I can report back that Southampton definitely does have a UTC and it does indeed seem quicker and more appropriate for this sort of issue than a full-blown A&E.

Hope he gets better soon. And yes, I was at the RSH one last week with my partners son. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

Hope he gets better soon. And yes, I was at the RSH one last week with my partners son. 

She's fine. Just bruising as expected. Pretty sure we're both in for a fun dose of Covid in the next few days after four hours in that waiting room.

19 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

She's fine. Just bruising as expected. Pretty sure we're both in for a fun dose of Covid in the next few days after four hours in that waiting room.

Sorry to hear that mate, thinking of you and her. Not nice at all.

Â