The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Time to change the rules chaps. 

A rule change and succesful VONC will not help one bit here. The timeframe is way too long to be of any use. Unless a large majority of the party can unite behind one single candidate and even then you suspect that someone like Kwarteng would stand as a candidate and refuse to step down in despite commanding only minimal support just to force it out to the membership to buy time.

I can't see how disgruntled Tories can affect this unless there are enough of them that decide to band togather to form a new Party and remove Truss' majority. Maybe there is another way but I can't think of it

I'm hopeful that what disgruntled Tory's can do is prevent Truss being effective, to try to stop her putting some of her ideas into action. 

If they can manage that, it'd be a very good thing, on the one hand Truss saying and trying to do dumb stuff and alienating voters, bankers, donors and anyone else who can walk and chew gum at the same time, and on the other hand a reluctant party stopping her being able to get her ideas into legislation or active policy and do too much harm.

51 minutes ago, bickster said:

I can't see how disgruntled Tories can affect this unless there are enough of them that decide to band togather to form a new Party and remove Truss' majority. Maybe there is another way but I can't think of it

Indeed. It's hard to see how this continues, but it's hard to see a mechanism by which it stops.

Tory members are already grumpy with MPs for removing their heroic scarecrow from office, I imagine if they were told "you got this wrong, we want you to vote again*" then their mood will go from grumpy to apoplectic with their chosen representatives. 

*I'm led to believe that sort of thing goes down badly with voters. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Putting aside that it's absolutely hilarious, why would the palace think that releasing a video where he says that is in any way a good idea?

Revenge disguised as an historic moment?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Wasn't sure which thread to put it in but Shaun Ryder has added his 2 pennies worth about the home secretary.

There was an even better one on Ch4 news tonight.

Some American economist was responding to the JRM comment about the economic problems in the UK being to do with global interest rates.

When asked directly about her thoughts on that

She just outright said, “that’s bollocks” :D 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Elaborate, pls. I don't get to see papers and I want in on the carnage!!

Have a look at the BBC paper roundup

Newspaper headlines: 'Tories in open revolt' and 'row looms over crown'

The headlines

The Times: Truss faces mounting Tory pressure to rewrite unfunded tax-cut plans

I: Tories in open revolt against Prime Minister

The Guardian: Truss faces new peril as Tories go on the attack over economy

The Mirror: U-TURN OR YOU GO

The Times: Rip up your tax plans, top officials urge Truss

Metro: BLUE WALL FALLS

Daily Express: ANGRY TORIES ATTACK BANK CHIEF'S ‘STUPID MOVE' ( :lol: )

Edited by Genie

Â