The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 minute ago, Deano & Dalian's Umbrella said:

Did anyone else just see Sophie Ridge call Jeremy Hunt, Jeremy C**** on Sky News?

I thought it was just me and I was hearing things…love it when a posh girl talks dirty 👌

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

He should have resigned weeks ago. We could be up and running with a new PM by now - can't believe how selfish he has been and how long its taken to get to this stage

A Tory leadership campaign takes almost forever, if he'd gone a few weeks ago, you absiolutely would not have a new party leader yet

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

More right wing policies happens whether Johnson stays or goes, because Tories are Tories and they are in power

If Johnson stays, however, The Tories are very likely at this stage to lose the next election

No chance imo.

Who last overturned an 80 seat majority ?

1 hour ago, bickster said:

John Lamont, PPS to Liz Truss resigns to vote against Johnson

I don't understand this.  It's a secret ballot AFAIK.  You can vote how you like with impunity surely? 

I'm guessing it's not all that secret and there's a lot of pressure to reveal which way you've gone. 

1 minute ago, Jon said:

I don't understand this.  It's a secret ballot AFAIK.  You can vote how you like with impunity surely? 

I'm guessing it's not all that secret and there's a lot of pressure to reveal which way you've gone. 

Or you could just lie and say you backed him. Surely they don’t expect honesty from their MPs. They’re only following the lead of big dog.

11 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

For those that didn’t quite catch it. Twitter has got your back.

Amazing how often it happens. I dopubt she meant it, but I bet she was thinking "don't say word removed, don't say word removed...."

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Who last overturned an 80 seat majority ?

Edward Heath went from -98 to +30 in 1970

Haeold Wilson went from -100 to +4 in 1964

But closer to now Tony Blair went from -21 to +179 1997

Cameron went from -66 to +78

So it has happened but more importantly much bigger swings in numbers of seats have happenned and quite recently

Plus the electoral is a lot more volatile now with people far more likely to switch parties between each election or even between local and national elections.  We have a multi polar voting behaviour shoe-horned into a two party system- but that is a different story for another day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

He is an also ran at best Dem. He is as serious a contender as Dwight Yorke. 

Agree no chance he is next tory leader. I think it will be between rishi, gove and truss. 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jon said:

It's quite telling that there are fairly large number of MPs who aren't declaring their intentions

Also there may be some who publically state one thing for their constituents though actually voted the other way (on both sides of the debate)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it will be between rishi, gove and truss.

I think you can rule out Sunak at this stage, he got fined in Partygate. You can't have Johnson forced out and then vote in someone else who was fined. Well they could but they'd be mad

• Like 1

Â