The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not really that bothered about foreign people that have worked for us and could end up in danger. 

I just hope we get the stray dogs and cats out.

I personally think that Boris and Patel are giving the people what they think they want by making it very difficult to come here.

Going for such a hard Brexit he repeated many times that it’s what the “people” wanted.

It’s a government propped up with racist policies. 

Edited by Genie

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I personally think that Boris and Patel are giving the people what they think they want by making it very difficult to come here.

Going for such a hard Brexit he repeated many times that it’s what the “people” wanted.

It’s a government propped up with racist policies. 

Agreed.

If there was an election tomorrow (and I’m fully aware of the Britain Elects polls), they’d get back in. For all the lies and corruption and pictures of children fleeing war, plenty of people quite like what they are doing and have convinced themselves that there are no alternatives, not even just plain not voting.

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Agreed.

If there was an election tomorrow (and I’m fully aware of the Britain Elects polls), they’d get back in. For all the lies and corruption and pictures of children fleeing war, plenty of people quite like what they are doing and have convinced themselves that there are no alternatives, not even just plain not voting.

Agreed. For every Twitter Politics expert there are a thousand, "well Labour would do a worse job". My parents haven't voted Labour and wouldn't consider voting labour due to a government that were in power nearly 50 years ago. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Agreed.

I don’t think they would. The, or two of the advantages they had last time have swapped. Johnson was popular in 2019 and is deeply unpopular now. Corbyn, the electoral liability, is gone.  Then there’s the cost of living, covid deaths, lack of stuff on the shelves, food banks, NHS mess, and all the covid eff ups. Farmers, fishermen let down by Brexit…

Labour might not outright beat the tories to be guvmint on their own, but in this hypothetical, I don’t see the baby eaters getting back in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I also don't think the "No Foriners Ere" types are quite as big on the issue of Ukrainians fleeing the Russians as they have been on say Syrian refugees

Can't think why. 

Screenshot_20220309-085850_Facebook.jpg

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, blandy said:

Corbyn, the electoral liability, is gone.  

Can't help but laugh at this. 😆

Like a statement of fact.  

Have a look at the 2017 GE Labour result, and compare to a few of those Blair GE victories. 

Despite all the machinations of the establishment, the media, and the PLP , he performed exceptionally well.  To badge it any other was is disingenuous 

22 minutes ago, blandy said:

I don’t think they would. The, or two of the advantages they had last time have swapped. Johnson was popular in 2019 and is deeply unpopular now. Corbyn, the electoral liability, is gone.  Then there’s the cost of living, covid deaths, lack of stuff on the shelves, food banks, NHS mess, and all the covid eff ups. Farmers, fishermen let down by Brexit…

Labour might not outright beat the tories to be guvmint on their own, but in this hypothetical, I don’t see the baby eaters getting back in.

But I agree with the rest of it  👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jon said:

Have a look at the 2017 GE Labour result, and compare to a few of those Blair GE victories. 

Despite all the machinations of the establishment, the media, and the PLP , he performed exceptionally well.  To badge it any other was is disingenuous 

What about the one after?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Agreed. For every Twitter Politics expert there are a thousand, "well Labour would do a worse job". My parents haven't voted Labour and wouldn't consider voting labour due to a government that were in power nearly 50 years ago. 

Those people really piss me off. I get it a lot whenever I criticise the government. It’s the most childish response, it’s like you can’t point out the disgraceful behaviours of the tories unless you’ve got a viable government ready to replace them. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jon said:

He lost, it is a statement of fact....against a woeful Theresa May. Then in 2019 he got thrashed with the worst election result for decades and decades.

In 2017, I'll admit he was popular with a fair chunk of people - "Oh, Jeremy Corbyn" and so on. What he represented (in part) was something the Country needed and still needs - a change from the typical inward looking, Tory kind of governing mindset, of the establishment looking after itself and all that. And policy wise, Labour's manifesto in 2017 was (IMO) not too bad at all, there was plenty to like in it, as well as some stuff that was daft. But...But the problem was that (as was proven in the outcome) the Country didn't want Corbyn as Prime Minister. The country preferred the cold, home counties, immigration obsessed, characterless, Tory Maybot. But Corbyn was and is as flawed a politician to have led any party for a long time. Very different to Bunter, but just as unsuitable.

Anyway, water under the bridge.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

What about the one after?

That's the one where I made the direct comparison, you're right. And it's unarguable that Johnson had a "public perception" advantage over Corbyn, which he certainly doesn't have over Starmer at the moment (although that might change again, who knows).

• Like 1

Â