Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

58 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

It's just possible that Garde would have gone for the draw against Bournemouth (the "balanced approach" of which he speaks) so we'd be on 6 points, not 8.

It's also possible, if we're drawing conclusions based on absolutely nothing, that he'd have won every game and we'd be safe by now.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, YLN said:

Our best chance, as far as I see it, is if four teams get cut off from the rest of the league, and we somehow manage to be the fourth worst of them and end up staying up on 31 points.

Pretty improbable, but I really can't see us getting to around the 40 points mark. 

Yep it would need a record low points tally to stay up for yes to survive imo, what's the lowest a 17th place team has stayed up with.

Our best chance is if someone like Norwich or Bournemouth barely win a game second half of the season, it has happened before even if both are in good form, remember Hull in 2008/09 season.

The big problem I have though is imaging us stringing a few wins together...we have a poor team, squad etc, can't score more than 1 a game, can't keep clean sheets. It's not going to happen.

It's just possible that Garde would have gone for the draw against Bournemouth (the "balanced approach" of which he speaks) so we'd be on 6 points, not 8.

It's also possible, if we're drawing conclusions based on absolutely nothing, that he'd have won every game and we'd be safe by now.

Trouble is, my conclusion isn't based on "absolutely nothing". It is based on what Garde had said about how Villa need to approach games and on how they actually have played. That's maybe why, nearly 2 months after appointing Garde to deal with the crisis of us being bottom and four points away from 17th place, we are now...bottom and 11 points away.

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Trouble is, my conclusion isn't based on "absolutely nothing". It is based on what Garde had said about how Villa need to approach games and on how they actually have played. That's maybe why, nearly 2 months after appointing Garde to deal with the crisis of us being bottom and four points away from 17th place, we are now...bottom and 11 points away.

It is based on nothing because the situation, the squad, the confidence levels, the philosophy would all be totally different if Garde had been here since the summer instead of taking over a sinking ship.

I'm not necessarily saying things would even be better, just that your statement is based on nothing because you can't compare the situations

• Like 2

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 22:18, Richard said:

Sorry but blaming this summer basically ignores the last five years and make it sound like this season just happened in isolation

we spent money but not on prem quality players, if we had the right guy in charge of that spending and that guy starting the season with us our position would look a lot better.

I do agree with you though in terms of the bigger picture, 5 seasons of under spending and bad appointments ultimately lead to where we are now.

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I think your assertion that the squad would be totally different if Garde had been here since the summer is simply wrong.

Could you expand on that a little? On face value I don't agree at all with that statement. If I'm missing something obvious, then my bad, but I find it highly unlikely that 2 managers from different countries and differing playing styles would want to sign exactly the same players.  

2 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

"They've won one all season, they aren't going to win 10 or even 5 more by the end of the season. They aren't Leicester City"

Sam Matterface, TalkSport.

:(

Thank god!!!

I think your assertion that the squad would be totally different if Garde had been here since the summer is simply wrong.

Could you expand on that a little? On face value I don't agree at all with that statement. If I'm missing something obvious, then my bad, but I find it highly unlikely that 2 managers from different countries and differing playing styles would want to sign exactly the same players.  

You're maybe assuming the manager has a free hand in who he recruits. Tom Fox has already explained this isn't the case. I think Garde in the summer would have been offered basically the same recruitment options as Sherwood was. He may have chosen slightly differently but it was the assertion the squad would have been TOTALLY different I was challenging.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

You're maybe assuming the manager has a free hand in who he recruits. Tom Fox has already explained this isn't the case. I think Garde in the summer would have been offered basically the same recruitment options as Sherwood was. He may have chosen slightly differently but it was the assertion the squad would have been TOTALLY different I was challenging.

Fair enough.

1 hour ago, sexbelowsound said:

"They've won one all season, they aren't going to win 10 or even 5 more by the end of the season. They aren't Leicester City"

Sam Matterface, TalkSport.

:(

Is he the SHA word removed? or is that another word removed?

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Tom Fox hasn't explained that.

Sherwood was part of the transfer committee. He identified the weaknesses in the squad and they recruited based on that. He had a say in all the transfers.

Given the amount of money we spent in the summer, I think it's fair to say the squad could have been significantly different with Garde as part of the decision making.

But fox also said input from Sherwood was disagreed with. I think that would be the same with anyone we had. The transfer committee had a plan and I don't think one personal change would have made much difference to that plan.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

But fox also said input from Sherwood was disagreed with. I think that would be the same with anyone we had. The transfer committee had a plan and I don't think one personal change would have made much difference to that plan.

The plan was simple, what's the least we can pay on wages and who is willing to accept a 50% wage cut next year when this inevitably goes tits up.

• Like 1

The tragedy with this season is, every team is beatable, there is no consistency from the top teams either....no fixtures should be written off.....West Ham are now 5th ?

The burning question is.....Is the fight there to execute that.

sadly no.

• Like 1

Â