Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

There's no point in reading too much into the signing captains as leaders approach we seem to have readopted. 

We tried that to an extent with MON, with the likes of Knight, Davies, NRC, Shorey and Friedel et.c. Being a big fish in a small pond is quite different to coming to a club like Villa (even if we are on our uppers at the moment) and being the big cheese. 

But you generally look for leadership in defence and midfield, and we finally seem to have that now with Elphick and Jedinak. McCormack seems quite a ballsy player too.  Whether that three have the legs to actually be a big influence for us this season, only time will tell. That is my concern for all three. 

Most sides will make a bit more allowances for your flair player being a bit more of a mercurial type, but if you have a wide forward/ attacking midfielder cut from a similar cloth to the above with similar leadership instincts and pride in his performance (ie Ayew) you will usually be in good shape. 

He will probably be the first to say he hasn't been at his best so far this season, but he doesn't hide even if things aren't going for him. 

In an unfamiliar role against Derby, I thought he was our best player. He was still getting back to make blocks and last ditch tackles even in the last 10 minutes. 

When a bunch of new players come in it has more than one issue....one is gelling which is crucial.....the other is they can actually spark existing players in to better performance.

I hope i am not  getting ahead of myself but i think Adomah and Kodjia will have a positive affect on Ayew and vice versa....The burden will be lifted somewhat.

I think the problem for Ayew is really he doesnt have a fixed position a bit similar to modern day Wayne Rooney. He has natural ability but doesnt have tactical discipline, poor finishing, non existent passing

He isnt a striker, playmaker or a winger and in a good team you could probably fit him in as a luxury attacker but a. we arent that good and b. he isnt good enough for us to build around him

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think the problem for Ayew is really he doesnt have a fixed position a bit similar to modern day Wayne Rooney. He has natural ability but doesnt have tactical discipline, poor finishing, non existent passing

He isnt a striker, playmaker or a winger and in a good team you could probably fit him in as a luxury attacker but a. we arent that good and b. he isnt good enough for us to build around him

Yeah, it is a concern.

However players do need to channel their ability to maximum effect for the team.....that is the challenge for them.

as we all know the best individuals don't always make the best TEAM Players.

thats a job for the coaches.

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Seven goals in a wank team with zero supply illustrates he has some quality. 

I don't recall many of those goals being tap-in's either, so his finishing is alright. 

He wasn't -when we signed him- a forward who was expected to come in to the topflight and score 20 and create nearly as half as many again. 

Because if he was, he would have been costing a lot more than the £10 million + we paid for him. He was Weimann's replacement, and on that score, he was an upgrade. 

Based on the Derby game, I'd be interested at looking at him more centrally over a period of games. He is direct, can take people on and beat them with ease, so that even if he isn't scoring, he will open up space for others. 

Has won corners, freekicks in good positions, has created our two best chances (mccormack tap in and kodjia header) and has made some good tackles covering de laet. 

But he chose to have a shot when he could have passed to mccormack and blazed a shot over (after he had created the opening from nothing), so that means hes shit.

• Like 2

Â