Mobile Phone Contracts (Ver 2.0)

Genie

If you're buying a flagship, you will struggle to get a bad one (unless you buy an iPhone).

:crylaugh:

It's strange that the big selling point of the new iPhones is force touch (from the advertising I've seen). They've now invented something that's been in the Android API since 2.0 (2009) and that I used on a phone in 2010. Google own the patent from the purchase of Motorola Mobile. I can picture lawyers with dollar signs for eyes.

PS. Here's an app for demonstrating this pointless feature on your Android device. It'll almost certainly work to some degree on all but the very oldest devices.

• 3 months later...

So Three are screwing over the customer who they got onboard by offering cheap unlimited data & minute contracts to.

If you are one of the people who were on one of the unlimited "One Plans" you will be receiving a text and a letter telling you the contract is ending and you new monthly tariff will be £30.00 a month (nearly double) what you are on now.

As one of the people on the £11.99 a month unlimited data plans I am guessing the clock is ticking till we get bumped on to their new equivalent

On 8 November 2015 at 14:12, limpid said:

It's strange that the big selling point of the new iPhones is force touch (from the advertising I've seen). They've now invented something that's been in the Android API since 2.0 (2009) and that I used on a phone in 2010. Google own the patent from the purchase of Motorola Mobile. I can picture lawyers with dollar signs for eyes.

PS. Here's an app for demonstrating this pointless feature on your Android device. It'll almost certainly work to some degree on all but the very oldest devices.

That's a great app, there. So useful. I'll run out and get an Android immediately.

seriously though, even allowing for various opinion on whether force touch is a good or pointless feature, it seems odd that there are multiple implementations of use of force touch in apps on iPhones - to preview an e mail, or document or be like a right click type function and offer extra choices without having to do anything other than press slightly more firmly, nothing similar on Android phones yet -  just a "demonstration" version that identifies a unused capability. Apple haven't invented it, they've implemented it in a way that users like. Most phone developments are done this way - whether by Googles or Apples - they kind of both invent and both, er, borrow, from each other's progress and the overall phone useability matures and improves. Same as with Cars, tellies, Computers, most consumer goods.

my phone doesn't have it and I can live without. I'm not defending anything, just making a point about progress and technology.

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

So Three are screwing over the customer who they got onboard by offering cheap unlimited data & minute contracts to.

If you are one of the people who were on one of the unlimited "One Plans" you will be receiving a text and a letter telling you the contract is ending and you new monthly tariff will be £30.00 a month (nearly double) what you are on now.

As one of the people on the £11.99 a month unlimited data plans I am guessing the clock is ticking till we get bumped on to their new equivalent

Request PUK. Move number to GiffGaff. Not worth stressing about.

I don't see how this is screwing anyone over. It was very obviously about attracting customers before they launched 4G. That's done now and HW have got to pay for O2 somehow.

I'll be sticking with Three through the price rise. Giffgaff is alright for low to medium data users, but they cap your speed down to 256kbps when you use more than 6gb, on their "unlimited" tier.

That's not unlimited.

No tethering on their unlimited plan either.

It says it all about just how good Three's previous deal was that even with the new prices, they're the best value for heavy users. It was too good to last forever. :(

Edited by Davkaus

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

I'm on a £15 all you can eat unlimited deal from three. Will I receive a latter?

I'm on the same, I don't think we're getting one in this batch. It'll almost certainly be coming within the next few months though, they want everyone off the legacy tariffs.

That only has 200 minutes. The old £15 plan had unlimited data, and something like 2000 minutes and 4,000 texts.

Anyone that has to use more than 600 minutes and wants unlimited data needs the £30 a month tariff now.

If I get bumped off my plan I'll go for the £20 plan, because I love the internet, but hate people. :P

• Like 1

I'm on the £15 all you can eat data deal too. They've not offered that to new customers in several years.    I'll certainly look at what's on offer if they change my tariff but it will feel odd to be on another network as i've been with Three for 12 years. 

I'm considering going back on contract.

I know I know...

But I can get an Xperia Z5 on Vodafone for £31 a month with 4GB of data (more than I use now every month) and unlimited texts, plus I get a discount with Vodafone so it'll work out about £27 a month.

So that's only £12 a month more than I pay on giff gaff, plus I get a £450 phone.

Financially it makes sense, just got to decidewhether I can bear being tied in for 24 months...

Edit: I think they do free roaming in Europe as well which is a plus

Edited by Stevo985

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm considering going back on contract.

I know I know...

But I can get an Xperia Z5 on Vodafone for £31 a month with 4GB of data (more than I use now every month) and unlimited texts, plus I get a discount with Vodafone so it'll work out about £27 a month.

So that's only £12 a month more than I pay on giff gaff, plus I get a £450 phone.

Financially it makes sense, just got to decidewhether I can bear being tied in for 24 months...

Edit: I think they do free roaming in Europe as well which is a plus

--vodafone

--24 months

Otherwise, great deal.

Vodafone isn't a negative for me. Company I work for uses Vodafone for the company mobiles, so the signal at our offices is perfect for Vodafone as they had signal boosters or something installed.

I get coverage at my house and would use Wifi more than signal regardless.

So that's not really a con for me. The only downside is the 24 months thing really.

Probably alright then. The 24 months is only bad if you're on the wrong tariff or wrong network. If you're not on either, then it's fine.

In fact, my Nexus 5 is struggling these days so I might consider it. But the 5P is apparently £250 now.. decisions..

Yeah I'm Nexus 5 too. It's getting a bit slow, so going to do a factory reset and give it my mom as her Nexus 4 is going crazy!

Shame, best phone I've ever owned.

Back OT, would love to stay on Giff Gaff as never had a problem with them, but apart from the One Plus Two, there aren't many phones around at the kind of price that would justify that financially.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Vodafone isn't a negative for me. Company I work for uses Vodafone for the company mobiles, so the signal at our offices is perfect for Vodafone as they had signal boosters or something installed.

I get coverage at my house and would use Wifi more than signal regardless.

So that's not really a con for me. The only downside is the 24 months thing really.

Are you currently with Vodaphone? I signed up to them via discount with work and I kid you not they are the WORST company I have ever dealt with in my life. They sent me a blocked phone that didnt work, I was promised a new phone next day took day off never came. after many hours on phone again they promised next day would be delivered to my work between 8-6 (i work to 4) so stayed extra two hours phone again never came!! went to store (as idiot on phone told me to) to change phone. "sorry sir as phone was ordered online we cannot change it here"

(bear in mind you only get two weeks to cancel) after many more hours on the phone I just cancelled the whole thing (they tried to make me pay my first months line rental which I plain out refused) it was a absolute nightmare. Spoke with so many liars for that shitty company. Never ever purchase anything from that turd company again.

When my contract runs out I am getting a sim only from giffgaff and if I want to change my Z3 (terrific phone) I will just buy off ebay or offline better this way than getting tied in a poxy 24month contract. they really need to start bringing back 12 month contracts people are starting to clock on to these sim only deals

Â