Rugby World Cup 2015

Don_Simon

Disappointed by the noises coming out of the Scotland camp in the last few days. It would seem that the target was to reach the quarters and that's good enough for them now. No talk about winning the match tomorrow, just talk of hoping to be able to compete. I know they're the underdogs by some way but the attitude does seem very defeatist.

In other news, Italy have just become my favourite team of the tournament. Only because they were at the London Scottish game last night, having their end of tour night out. The whole squad and entourage were there, joined in supporting Scottish, they sang, they handed out drinks to those near them in the stands and were generally great fun to have around, even if half of them were blind drunk. The highlight though was at half time when the resident bagpiper started to play their national anthem. They stood as one and belted out the entire thing, much to the enjoyment of everyone there.

• Like 3

Intensity was on a different level. Don't think Argentina played amazing rugby, but they were so much more physical and intense than the Irish. 

The Irish looked scared. 

Gutted. 

Two good games, but bad results for NH rugby. I think the days of power rugby are coming to an end, it's all about running and off-loading. The skill sets of SH teams are streets ahead at the moment. England interestingly seem to be heading in that direction, but just don't have the players to pull it off. Ireland have always struggled against teams that play wide and it showed again, although I do think the team was shattered thanks to the French.

Unlucky for Scotland but for the tournament I think it was a good result. I want an NZ v Aus final.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Scotland were very good, typical heart breaking defeat for them.

Six Nations should be interesting, been quite a while since the Jocks did anything in that but given the world cup efforts you've got to think they're ready to compete in that again if they can push Australia that close.

reminds me of English teams in Champions League, was a complete different level for Ireland today. Looks badly on 6 nations

Too small a sample size to draw any massive conclusions from, Argentina were excellent today but I don't think they are head and shoulders above Ireland (or Wales, France & England) and Scotland were literally seconds away from changing the narrative all the newspapers will run with tomorrow.  New Zealand remain imperious though, I can't see past them for the title but then with the exception of 2003 when England were clearly the best team in the world ahead of the tournament I've felt like that since I was old enough to have a valid opinion on the World Cup (1995) and I've been wrong more often than I've been right as the All Blacks do tend to choke more than they should. I think the team who beat New Zealand win the World Cup though. 

the thing with Argentina is they will only get better continually playing with the Big 3 down in Rugby Championship (same with Japan if they ever join it) Think this is 1st World Cup since they joined and for me they were a lot more fitter. organised than Ireland regardless of injuries and except for their idiotic No.3 they could have won by a lot more

I think its time for 6 nations teams to adapt physically and tactically

Scotland were very good, typical heart breaking defeat for them.

Six Nations should be interesting, been quite a while since the Jocks did anything in that but given the world cup efforts you've got to think they're ready to compete in that again if they can push Australia that close.

I'll wait and see how it turns out. The Scots rugby side have had more false dawns than Villa.

It's the physical difference for me.

As I said above, Argentina didn't play much amazing technical rugby. But they just had a physicality and intensity that was a level above Ireland, and that seems to be a theme for all the big southern hemisphere teams (obviously teams like New Zealand have the technical skills too).

Pretty much everything about Southern Hemisphere rugby seems to be on another level. The kiwi approach to rugby in childhood seems to be the model to follow. 

At risk of sounding like a bitter Englishman, I'm bit confused by the media love-in for Wales. Front page of the press round here calls them heroes and say they've done the country proud... To me, they've been bang-average at best in pretty much every game and, Biggar apart, seem a pretty limited side. They had the game handed to them by England (who would've been out of sight if Ford had played at 10) and I thought Fiji were massively unlucky against them. Again, apart from Biggar, they seem to be massively lacking in any sort of creativity and it could be argued that he dragged them into the quarter finals single-handedly.

• Like 2

Â