Rugby World Cup 2015

Don_Simon

Didn't see a thread for this, (I did search, promise!) so thought I'd start one up.

Is anyone going to any games? I'm going to a couple, one at VP, Australia v Uruguay and one at the Millennium Stadium for New Zealand v Georgia. Both games should be hammerings, but I'm really looking forward to seeing The Haka, (and take part in general debauchery in Cardiff after!)

I much prefer watching England rugby matches than I do England football matches, so hopefully the whole country will get involved in the World Cup atmosphere!

I have tickets to the Quarter Finals in Cardiif on the 17th/18th of October. Hopefully New Zealand V France and Ireland V Argentina. It should be good but the price of the tickets is a disgrace. Ripping off fans seems to be norm in every sport these days. Although IIRC the only revenue you get when you host a world cup is the ticket sales, the IRB keep all TV and Sponsorship money. 

• 3 months later...

Got screwed on the tickets. Although my mate has literally just offered me a spare to the Fiji game on Saturday but I can't make it now! Gutted.

Can't wait for it to get started. It's going to be a cracking few weeks. Already got an all dayer in London planned for the Wales game...

Scotland vs Japan next week in Gloucester for me. That'll be my one positive experience of the event, I fear. Living within half a mile of Twickenham Stadium, I'm expecting the next month to be a whole world of hurt.

Scotland vs Japan next week in Gloucester for me. That'll be my one positive experience of the event, I fear. Living within half a mile of Twickenham Stadium, I'm expecting the next month to be a whole world of hurt.

Do you know what's happening with the Twickers pubs on match days? I was at the 7s in May and they all shut at about 8pm! Heard something similar happened at the warm up games. My mate lives just down the road in Teddington and reckons it's something to do with the council and noise restrictions but doesn't know if they're going to lighten up a bit during the WC. 

From what I could gather during the warm-up matches, pubs were "encouraged" by old bill to close by 10pm. I've no idea how forcefully they were encouraged but I know publicans were not happy. 

I would imagine that organisers will be doing everything within their powers to shepherd punters to the fan zone on Old Deer Park (which, for uninitiated, is not a field full of geriatrics) where they can fleece you further with overpriced beers and novelties. 

• Like 1

Further investigations (you piqued my interest) would indicate that the early closing of Twickenham pubs was a test that failed. No early closures planned from what I can see but I am sure the police will be keen to enforce occupancy limits on pubs in the area.

Not sure why you'd want to be in Twickenham though - surrounded by ruggerbuggers in red jeans, singing swing low every three minutes and generally being rather yobbish (whilst maintaining the superior view that they're not football hooligans). 

• Like 1

Although you live there so will know better than me, I've never found it to be like that whenever I've been out there after a game. Obviously one or two clearings in the woods around but that's to be expected almost literally anywhere. It's a good atmosphere IMO. I don't want to start a whole rugby vs football thing but I'd much rather be in a pub with rugby fans than the a crowd of "average" football fans. Apart from in Wales.... :) 

It was quite surreal at the 7s when all the pubs suddenly started closing at 8. Trains weren't running either so taxis were all taken. Ended up having to walk to Richmond!

Aye, you're probably right. Even as I was writing it, I did suspect my anti-English bias might be coming into play ;)

I think in general, most rugby supporters are a decent bunch but I know I would steer clear of Twickenham High St on the evening of a match.

well i saw the canada bus in cardiff today so I assume they are in it. 8 games in Cardiff over the next month. Pubs are going to be swarming. Can't wait for it to end. Do Wales at least have any chance? Happy roudy neigbhbours rather than morose pissheads would be preferable

apparently there are still a good number of tickets in the £175 tier at the Millenium

Some bloke in an England 2015 neon blue coat tried to tell me today I couldn't park in my usual place because I didn't have an access pass for a road they've cordoned off. We had a brief exchange of words and it was agreed he'd **** off and bother someone else.

Â