The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

19 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I'm not sure it's that generous.

It's been quite apparent that a lot of politicians haven't fully understood the consequences of their actions and the legislation that they have looked at, proposed and passed.

I'm not saying you haven't!

I'm saying that stating Corbyn throwing verbal crap all over the place was 'mistakenly talking' is generous. I think he is very conscious of what he was doing, but he now needs to change the tone as the political wind blew the other way.

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

"take No Deal off the Table"

IMO He (Corbyn) has been diluted down to where he comes across as a very s*** Noel Edmond's and/or an totally underwhelming 19th Century antique table enthusiast.

Either way,  it's a hard sell.

11 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I'm saying that stating Corbyn throwing verbal crap all over the place was 'mistakenly talking' is generous. I think he is very conscious of what he was doing, but he now needs to change the tone as the political wind blew the other way.

The posts to which you responded were not about 'Corbyn throwing verbal crap all over the place' - they were about the 'no deal being taken off the table' line and his use of it in the context of others using it similarly. Please don't try and change what I wrote.

Corbyn was most certainly not the only one talking in those terms. Vast swathes of politcians from Johnson to Blackford via Benn, Cooper, Swinson, &c. have spoken of things (often different things, admittedly) in those same kinds of terms.

Edited by snowychap

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Kind of weird to see @Dr_Pangloss liking the latter post after posting the former; in more than 80% of seats, voting for the best chance to beat the Tories *is* voting Labour (sorry). 

It's possible to like something that puts a different perspective on things or something you may not 100% agree with but still find it an interesting view no? Not that weird.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

The posts to which you responded were not about 'Corbyn throwing verbal crap all over the place' - they were about the 'no deal being taken off the table' line. Please don't try and change what I wrote.

Corbyn was most certainly not the only one talking in those terms. Vast swathes of politcians from Johnson to Blackford via Benn, Cooper, Swinson, &c. have spoken of things (often different things, admittedly) in those same kinds of terms.

Apologies if we misunderstood each other. What I meant is 'Corbyn throwing verbal crap all over the place' = 'no deal off the table'.

No deal is not off the table, it has only been postponed and is still the default position, yet the rhetoric has changed. As you previously suggested, it could be to factors such as 'Formal confirmation of the decision to extend the A50 process.' 

I think you could be right. But it doesn't change the fact that Corbyn has gone against his most recent catchphrase.  

Much like Boris, he likes to throw absolutes around which he then needs to backtrack on. 

27 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Apologies if we misunderstood each other. What I meant is 'Corbyn throwing verbal crap all over the place' = 'no deal off the table'.

No deal is not off the table, it has only been postponed and is still the default position, yet the rhetoric has changed. As you previously suggested, it could be to factors such as 'Formal confirmation of the decision to extend the A50 process.' 

I think you could be right. But it doesn't change the fact that Corbyn has gone against his most recent catchphrase.  

Much like Boris, he likes to throw absolutes around which he then needs to backtrack on. 

No Deal will always be the default position until it is actually done.

Didn't Labour say at Boris' first VoNC that they wanted to block us leaving the EU on 31 October with no deal then have an election? I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they did and what they are doing seems to follow that.

The difference being that the EU have now agreed to extend and (I don't think, but please correct me if wrong) the government will be in the position to play the same games with timing that they could have done previously.

34 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Corbyn has gone against his most recent catchphrase. 

It's not his 'catchphrase'.

As I have said above and said in the original post to which you replied, he is not the only person to have used this phrase to talk about a situation that hasn't occurred yet, i.e. no deal being 'off the table'.

34 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

What I meant is 'Corbyn throwing verbal crap all over the place' = 'no deal off the table'.

And that's precisely what I meant by asking you not to try and change what I wrote.

I was specifically replying to something Bicks posted.

You have weighed in, having seen an opportunity to widen the criticism on the back of something else being talked about.

If you want to make a point about 'Corbyn throwing verbal crap about the place' then make your own point, please. Don't try and paint my criticism of something as the same as your wider beef.

Edited by snowychap

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I'm going to avoid putting the news on for fear of seeing Barry Sheerman and Mark Francois simultaneously (though for different reasons) self-combusting in Central Lobby. :D

In fairness you'd get low odds of Mark Francois self-combusting at any moment. They'll come to his office one day and just find a pile of ash with a telltale ham-like calf and foot untouched.

• Haha 4

Will be interesting to see what happens in my constituency - Ken Clarke has been our MP since the 60's and apparently won't be standing (as an independent?).  Real mix between a lot of wealth and a lot of left-leaning views.  The "best" chance Labour has had here for a long, long time.

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Will be interesting to see what happens in my constituency - Ken Clarke has been our MP since the 60's and apparently won't be standing (as an independent?). 

He's said he isn't standing again - and that was before he had the whip withdrawn.

Edited by ml1dch

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

in more than 80% of seats, voting for the best chance to beat the Tories *is* voting Labour (sorry). 

That may have used to be the case. It isn't so now. 

Â