The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

I see Ian Byrne , MP for West Derby is being challenged for his seat by his local constituency voting to allow the challenge

He was only voted in in 2019 and it the current "MP of the Year". It is the third safest seat in the country

As much as there is a 5 person long list, it'll boil down to a straight left right fight between Byrne and Anthony Lavelle a 26 year old local councillor in the constituency

You'd imagine that as the fight has been triggered that the challenger will win

Not really a fan of either of them tbh

6 hours ago, bickster said:

I see Ian Byrne , MP for West Derby is being challenged for his seat by his local constituency voting to allow the challenge

He was only voted in in 2019 and it the current "MP of the Year". It is the third safest seat in the country

As much as there is a 5 person long list, it'll boil down to a straight left right fight between Byrne and Anthony Lavelle a 26 year old local councillor in the constituency

You'd imagine that as the fight has been triggered that the challenger will win

Not really a fan of either of them tbh

I’m sure the papers and the BBC will be talking about the Labour purge of left candidates, nope? Wonder why, they seemed to talk up the ‘purge’ of centrists quite well a few years back. 

Edited by Dodgyknees
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

I’m sure the papers and the BBC will be talking about the Labour purge of left candidates, nope? Wonder why, they seemed to talk up the ‘purge’ of centrists quite well a few years back. 

This is his local party deciding they don't want him. The deselection of siting MPs by local parties is something that bloke with the beard used to campaign for and is in favour of

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is his local party deciding they don't want him. The deselection of siting MPs by local parties is something that bloke with the beard used to campaign for and is in favour of

Was the same 3/4 years ago, but that was blamed on the leader. 

7 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

My point is the media aren’t saying the things they were saying then. 

Because they aren't interested I guess, there are much bigger stories than a local party trying to unseat their MP because , he rarely does constituency work, tries to associate himself with work he hasn't done and is surrounded by bullies. (those are the claims anyway)

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Because they aren't interested I guess, there are much bigger stories than a local party trying to unseat their MP because , he rarely does constituency work, tries to associate himself with work he hasn't done and is surrounded by bullies. (those are the claims anyway)

It was also "news" then, as it was a change. "Labour changes party rules to make it easier to deselect MPs" in 2018 is something worthy of wider reporting. "Local Labour members do stuff to change MP that nobody outside of Liverpool has heard of" is definitely important for people in that area (and is being reported as such), but worthy of much more? Not really.

Obviously this "purge" isn't really about much more than changing party numbers. Novara and their ilk seemed pretty triumphant over the summer about 90,000 members leaving under Starmer, seemingly unhappy with the direction of the party. Well, one consequence of that is fewer members to support and vote for candidates that share your* views. 

*impersonal your, obviously.

• Like 1

I mean, well done for getting that massive polling lead and making it likely that the worst governments in the history of the country will be consigned to the bin, but does he have to be such a c*** about pretty much everything?

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I mean, well done for getting that massive polling lead and making it likely that the worst governments in the history of the country will be consigned to the bin, but does he have to be such a c*** about pretty much everything?

Whats he said thats wrong? Think your being abit OTT. He is saying that we should be recruiting more from home as well. My missus works in nhs recruitment for royal free and there is very minimal doctors being recruited from here most from over seas.

We have to fill these gaps and encourage people here to study medicine as well as having doctors nurses from abroad to sort this crisis out

Are you angry about the points based system he is referring to?

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Taking doctors and nurses from other nations leaves them short, and often those other nations really need to maintain or increase their own staff numbers. Ideally the UK would be able to meet its needs from people already here, whether originally from the UK or immigrants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, blandy said:

Taking doctors and nurses from other nations leaves them short, and often those other nations really need to maintain or increase their own staff numbers. Ideally the UK would be able to meet its needs from people already here, whether originally from the UK or immigrants.

Agreed. I don't have a problem with the line of reasoning, per se. And if he'd made this point, or even just talked about it being a way to put more British people into skilled jobs, I don't think it's even a discussion.

But when he specifically frames the argument not as "we want to train up more British people", but as " we're recruiting too many people from overseas", I think he knows exactly what kind of attitudes he's pandering to. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

A 2 year old dies from inhaling mould cos dodgy landlord and it's put to a Labour MP on Peston and the answer is increasing the living wage - and absolutely no challenge from Peston. Like the death of the 2 year old does not fooking matter. OMFG how have we got here? How is this defensible?

7 hours ago, Jareth said:

A 2 year old dies from inhaling mould cos dodgy landlord and it's put to a Labour MP on Peston and the answer is increasing the living wage - and absolutely no challenge from Peston. Like the death of the 2 year old does not fooking matter. OMFG how have we got here? How is this defensible?

Its not. Its vile

• Like 1

Â