The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its all going as i expected, another loss for the tories. Labour going to wipe the floor with them next election.  This could be as bad as when hague was leader

More like lightly mop the floor with the Lib Dem’s doing all the heavy lifting. 

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You think so? I think labour will win with ease next election

Well because it’s 2 rural brexit voting areas by elections now where the Lib Dem’s have overturned a Tory majority of near 20,000 - the disgruntled Tory voters are going yellow and it’ll be the losses there that will get Labour over the line. Could very well be a hung parliament. 

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not really probable unless the SNP implode which looks highly unlikely at this stage

I guess it depends a bit on what he means by winning "with ease". A large Labour majority definitely isn't happening.

Labour as the largest party and in power "with ease" following a Tory collapse in all but their safest seats? Not unlikely if things continue on their current trajectory.  

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I guess it depends a bit on what he means by winning "with ease". A large Labour majority definitely isn't happening.

Labour as the largest party and in power "with ease" following a Tory collapse in all but their safest seats? Not unlikely if things continue on their current trajectory.  

I haven't looked at the maths recently but my gut still says Lab/Lib coalition

There is a danger that people read too much into the Tiverton and Honiton result. As much as it's the "biggest majority to ever be overturned at a byelection", I still think North Shropshire was the bigger result. The LibDems came from further behind in a seat they have no traditional base in. If the LibDems hadn't (I know) gone into coalition with the Tories in 2010, that seat was a traditional Tory / Lib marginal

I also don't think Wakefield is THAT good a result for Labour. The Tory vote fractured in a way it won't in any normal General Election due to the amount of right wing candidates. Labour picked up an 8% increased share of the vote, the Tories lost 17% on a very low turnout for a byelection of national interest

If Labour / Starmer cannot effectively capitalise on being in the fortunate position of opposing one of the worst governments in living history then they don’t deserve to replace them.

Said it before but at a time when people need something spicy, Starmer just keeps serving up more vanilla.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

but at a time when people need something spicy

That's the exact opposite of what this country needs right now

What it needs to someone sensible elected is a different matter but the country needs far less populist bollocks, soundbites and insane policies.

It needs sensible

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

That's the exact opposite of what this country needs right now

What it needs to someone sensible elected is a different matter but the country needs far less populist bollocks, soundbites and insane policies.

It needs sensible

It was just an analogy, probably not a very good one.

Starmer is close to being unelectable I think, he just doesn’t resonate with enough people and he isn’t loud or brash enough to be heard above the noise. I don’t dislike Starmer nor do I think he’s bad at his job, but he is the epitome of ‘vanilla’, IMO.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

It needs sensible

But sensible isn't a continuation of corporatism - regardless of Boris being a waste of skin, it's the underlying politics of corporate control that are the root cause of most of the problems we have currently - we need a departure from that and the means some sort of radicalism - being robbed by a bunch of bankers fronted by a horrible dick with a mop of blonde hair and no morals if awful, being robbed by a bunch of bankers fronted by a pleasant enough quiet fella in a suit is still awful.

It's not sensible to carry on as we are but with a nicer executioner - the orthodoxy or corporatism, either in it's form of unashamed Conservative greed or in the guise of 'centrism' is the problem - Starmer is the same problem but with vaseline.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

But sensible isn't a continuation of corporatism - regardless of Boris being a waste of skin, it's the underlying politics of corporate control that are the root cause of most of the problems we have currently - we need a departure from that and the means some sort of radicalism - being robbed by a bunch of bankers fronted by a horrible dick with a mop of blonde hair and no morals if awful, being robbed by a bunch of bankers fronted by a pleasant enough quiet fella in a suit is still awful.

It's not sensible to carry on as we are but with a nicer executioner - the orthodoxy or corporatism, either in it's form of unashamed Conservative greed or in the guise of 'centrism' is the problem - Starmer is the same problem but with vaseline.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Labour will never get elected on such a platform

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Yeah can't believe Starmer isn't winning these by-elections and the Tories go from strength to strength. 

Starmer isn’t winning anything, the Tories are comittinng harakiri.

And it’s not Labour that overturned a 24,000 majority in Honiton (or whatever it’s called).

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

And it’s not Labour that overturned a 24,000 majority in Honiton (or whatever it’s called).

So Starmer just needs to turn on a bit of the Ed Davey razzle-dazzle and he's sorted?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Disagree wholeheartedly. Labour will never get elected on such a platform

They came very close to being elected on that platform when it was fronted by a bloke that looked like he'd been dragged out of a real ale festival dressed as a scarecrow - people want policies that shake things up - they want them presented properly, but the policies are overwhelmingly popular. 

People are desperate for a party that represents the interests of society over business, that represents normal working people, they could call it Labour or something similar to reflect that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Oi you missed Tiverton. (My home town! I'm feeling pleased about it today!)

Honiton is right though.

Edited by Rolta

With a Lab/Lib coalition we could sneak PR into the equation. Labour offer that in their manifesto and the Libs help them implement it. Would Labour do it though? I can see them getting a bit blinded by the chance at power. 

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

They came very close to being elected on that platform when it was fronted by a bloke that looked like he'd been dragged out of a real ale festival dressed as a scarecrow - people want policies that shake things up - they want them presented properly, but the policies are overwhelmingly popular. 

You mean the first election that bloke lost? And lets be honest, they only did as well as they did because as the left wing are only to happy to moan about, the right wing of the party were in control of the election machine and didn't do as the messiah wanted. When they were in charge of the machine, they pumped the money into the seats they were going to win anyway

Â