Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Of course the club realise that we need a striker. Actually il change it to realised.

We've spent 16m on a couple. Sadly Tim Sherwood's picking them and after 3 games (and it is only 3 games), they look shit.

Nobody can complain about the money made available regardless of where it has come from. We've had plenty to spend. Certainly to show improvements that we arent yet showing.

Lescott and adebayor on loan will prob be as good as it gets.

I think people can complain, our net spend has been less than the amount Bristol City have just spent on a striker.

That said, I do agree with a lot of your post. Perhaps we should have spent £18m on someone like the new lad at West Brom, rather than £12m on Ayew and £6m on Gestede.

Replacing Benteke was always going to be our number one priority this summer, and we've not even come remotely close to achieving this. Blame for this gets shared between Lerner and Sherwood.

But tbh, I don't think more net spend would have made much difference, given who sherwood has bought so far.

I mean, he's spent another 15m or so on midfielders who don't seem to be any improvement on Westwood who, without bashing the lad as it seems he's one of our better players so far, we do need to improve on him to move forward as a team.

The signings look average at best so far in the most part. The odd moment of magic sure but overall it's been disappointing. Early days yet of course but a lot depends on the bloke you've got spending the money net/not net. So far, sherwood doesn't seem to be as good as we hoped.

Some people need to give the guy a break. Good as what, Fergie?! We were f***** last season until he came in and got a tune out of a very crap team under a manager that was dragging the players to new depths week after week. On top of that we lost in the summer our most influential players including the only real goalscorer we had. The club have had to spread the transfer money around the whole squad whilst insuring we remain competitive, no easy feat itself. Some people can appreciate this along with the quality of players we are bringing to the club and although young have far more potential than a lot of those before them. 

Whether people like it or not the rebuilding job required due to previous mismanagement is going to take far longer than the first couple of weeks into the season. We will be crap at times and others look great, it's the same for everyone else. Highlighted even more so by the fact that at the moment individual performances are better than the team performances. Look at it this way, the team are not a cohesive outfit at the moment, players are still adapting to foreign surroundings, learning new languages and new concepts of how the club/sherwood wants them to play. Even still with all that going on we have been more than an improvement on last season and even in our 2 loses have been competitive enough for people to cut Sherwood a little slack for a while at least.

As they say, nail on head. Lost one world class striker, one England midfielder and also needed to rebuild almost every other position.

The manager is doing well, needs time however.

• Like 1

Re: Adebayor, I think the general consensus was that if we were to sign him it would likely be on the last day of the window.

Did I actually just see our two striker signings written off and called shit after just 3 games. 1 of which 1 of them scored our winner. Good heavens

Yep. Though the acknowledgement that it was 3 games and too early to call was there too. Don't let that get in your way tho.

Seriously what are we supposed to do? Not form an opinion?

At what point can we start having an opinion. 5? 10? 15 games?

So far they don't look very good. Simple as that.

Are you incapable of having a positive opinion on anything?

No

Woodytom is clearly one of Villatalk's realists and thank God for that - without him we might all just get carted away to the funny farm! What about the current Villa makes you giddy and carefree, then Woody? Will you show us your inner innocent fool, gambolling around like a new born lamb in spring?

• Like 2

Think people need to be realistic, we are entering the last week of the window and have used up all of the Benteke and Delph cash, with Lerner still here we are not going to be splashing out 15m on one player (Austin)

I think the best we can hope for is Lescott (2m) and Adebayor (loan) and id be over the moon if we brought those 2 in

Think people need to be realistic, we are entering the last week of the window and have used up all of the Benteke and Delph cash, with Lerner still here we are not going to be splashing out 15m on one player (Austin)

I think the best we can hope for is Lescott (2m) and Adebayor (loan) and id be over the moon if we brought those 2 in

Over the moon?? Boy you must be a happy guy ;)

My understanding was that Lerner is no long involved and the club was being run like a business with Fox in charge. Which means a 15M pound signing should not have to be sanctioned by Lerner. Unless all the shit about him standing down was bullshit?

watching other teams, it feels like a lot of them have improved

I don't think Sherwood has a clue what his best team or formation is.

Yet you can't see we have improved? Edited by Vive_La_Villa

watching other teams, it feels like a lot of them have improved

I don't think Sherwood has a clue what his best team or formation is.

In fairness, a lot of them haven't signed as many people as we have and/or saw their old spine of the team leave. Just for a change, we're in a transition period.