Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Delph will stay so we need another midfielder who can get forward and actually score like Cleverley was starting to do. Westwood/Sanchez and maybe Gary Gardner will rotate the other spot. That is enough until January.

Will he?

Edit: Westwood and Gardner are not good enough IMO. Sanchez needs to seriously step up his game.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

He's better than any of our wide players and would be a massive improvement on N'Zogbia, so yes.

is that the nzogbia who some said would be a massive improvement on Downing? How ironic

Well you'd have to be a little bit silly to have said that. 

Downing is in another league to N'Zogbia. In this day and age, £7m for a 30 year old who has proven to be a good player at this level really isn't bad business at all, some on here are stuck in the past when it comes to their valuations.

Delph will stay so we need another midfielder who can get forward and actually score like Cleverley was starting to do. Westwood/Sanchez and maybe Gary Gardner will rotate the other spot. That is enough until January.

Will he?

Edit: Westwood and Gardner are not good enough IMO. Sanchez needs to seriously step up his game.

Westwood not good enough? In my opinion, he's one of our most important players, does such a good job for the team, his contribution goes unnoticed i think. Gardner hasn't had a run of games but he showed promise on loan at forest last season Edited by sir_gary_cahill

Whilst emotion shouldn't play a part in player recruitment or retention, there are a few players that break that rule. For me, one of those is Downing, how good he may still be is irrelevant and don't want him back as think the way he left was disgraceful - we take a chance on him when injured, we stick by him when injured, he plays well when he finally gets fit and then weeks after saying he's happy, he's hopped off to Liverpool. The fact we screwed Liverpool for a good fee isn't thanks to him but thanks to good money men.

Some fans hate anyone who've left us but I'm not one of those and have no issue with Yorke (plenty of service, bad way to make it happen though) Barry (great service, left for right team in the end) or Milner. But Downing is up there with Unsworth for me!

No, never, not even for free. 

• Like 2

If he was that good West Ham wouldn't be selling him. He's nearly 31 and hasn't got the legs to play wide anymore. They've just brought in a 10m winger (Payet) who got 21 assists last season, albeit in a lesser league, if they get 7m of that back with the Downing sale, that's great business.

• Like 1

Whilst emotion shouldn't play a part in player recruitment or retention, there are a few players that break that rule. For me, one of those is Downing, how good he may still be is irrelevant and don't want him back as think the way he left was disgraceful - we take a chance on him when injured, we stick by him when injured, he plays well when he finally gets fit and then weeks after saying he's happy, he's hopped off to Liverpool. The fact we screwed Liverpool for a good fee isn't thanks to him but thanks to good money men.

Some fans hate anyone who've left us but I'm not one of those and have no issue with Yorke (plenty of service, bad way to make it happen though) Barry (great service, left for right team in the end) or Milner. But Downing is up there with Unsworth for me!

Signs for £12m, sold for £20m, yep really was disgraceful stuff all round. 

This is competition. We need players who can instantly come in and improve us, especially going forward, where we were utter dog shit for the majority of last season. For £7m Downing will instantly be an upgrade on shite like N'Zogbia. 

yeah i think downing is better than n zogbia, wouldnt oppose a loan if west ham were open to it

The homeless bloke with one leg i saw yesterday is better then N'zogbia! But seriously i would have downing back if it was a loan but no way would i spend £7 million on him, even dick turpin wore a mask! Edited by calcifer

Was Downing supposed to be poor last season? I thought he was great every time I saw him play which was probably 7-8 times. I don't agree with him losing his legs, he might not have quite the pace he used to have but he is still fast enough and he usually played in a #10 role last season anyway and he was very effective. He got twice as many goals + assists as any of your players last season bar Benteke. He is almost 31 but he should have a couple years left in him yet. If you can get him for 5-7m I think it would be a good buy.

Sure you could throw that at a foreign player who could turn out better but they could easily turn out a lot worse. You know what you are going to get with Downing and imo that would be one of your best players for a couple of years, especially if he has Benteke to work with. 

Will he?

Westwood not good enough? In my opinion, he's one of our most important players, does such a good job for the team, his contribution goes unnoticed i think. Gardner hasn't had a run of games but he showed promise on loan at forest last season

I don't rate him. I like the way he tries to play but I just think we need to be aiming for a higher calibre of player if we are ever going to improve.

• Like 1

I actually agree with this. F**k him. Surely we aren't in that much of a desperate state that we have to resort to signing players that left us in the lurch after we helped re-ignite their career.

Will he?

Westwood not good enough? In my opinion, he's one of our most important players, does such a good job for the team, his contribution goes unnoticed i think. Gardner hasn't had a run of games but he showed promise on loan at forest last season
I don't rate him. I like the way he tries to play but I just think we need to be aiming for a higher calibre of player if we are ever going to improve.

What don't you rate about him? I think he is an excellent player, i think if we sold him, he would go for a fairly big profit

Will he?

What don't you rate about him? I think he is an excellent player, i think if we sold him, he would go for a fairly big profit

I think he is as good as he is going to be. Nice tidy player who does the simple things but that's about it. His defensive skills aren't the best and he only seems to be able to move the ball around in the middle of the pitch. No real end product and quite limited ability.

If we sold him we'd get around 3M I reckon. I wouldn't be against him staying as a squad player but I would hope we eventually have better midfield players starting.

• Like 1

Will he?

I think he is as good as he is going to be. Nice tidy player who does the simple things but that's about it. His defensive skills aren't the best and he only seems to be able to move the ball around in the middle of the pitch. No real end product and quite limited ability.

If we sold him we'd get around 3M I reckon. I wouldn't be against him staying as a squad player but I would hope we eventually have better midfield players starting.

Fair enough, i think we'd get about £5m for him, who would you suggest to replace him with?

Will he?

Fair enough, i think we'd get about £5m for him, who would you suggest to replace him with?

Who knows. Out of the players we have been linked with N'Zonzi would be decent I guess. I can't remember any other centre midfielders we are apparently looking at apart from Huddlestone who I guess isn't that much better.

Will he?

Who knows. Out of the players we have been linked with N'Zonzi would be decent I guess. I can't remember any other centre midfielders we are apparently looking at apart from Huddlestone who I guess isn't that much better.

Fair enough, i think a midfield 3 of westwood-delph-n'zonzi would be great but whether n'zonzi would come here is debatable