England's troubled Champions League record

Marka Ragnos

all the money in the world and Premier LEague still cant attract the stars and never been able to. Can pay as many mediocre players 80k a week you want but how many world class players in their prime has the league been able to attract

Ballack, Shevchenko maybe Veron and Crespo. The rest either turned up as youngsters, past their prime or while still in development or failed at other European clubs

Ozil and Di Maria surely fit into this category which ever way you spin it.

And this sort of argument doesn't explain well why the Premier League was absolutely dominant in that 2008-2011 period at Champions League level.

not sure them two do. good players but not world class. But back in 08-11, the English teams were mainly build on being solid defensive units especially Chelsea, Liverpool and United. Man City is the opposite of defensive organisation. Kompany for example wouldnt have got in any of the teams either would that overrated waster Toure

The poor standard of the Premier League is finally starting to catch up with the top teams. The football is rubbish in England and the PL is rubbish. There's only so long you can play 30/38 games a season against garbage without it having some effect on you

You obviously don't watch Seria  or La Liga.

I watch La Liga, and the worst teams are infinitely better at football than most teams in the Prem

at moment I would say Aguero, Silva, Matic, Hazard, De Gea and Sanchez be the only players around the world class bracket in their positions playing in the league

Not sure about this one, Sherwood isn't playing him as much as I thought he would ;)

• Like 3

Anecdotally I would speculate that though Premier League doesnt have the quality it is much more competitive than the Spanish or German leagues.

This probably has an effect as teams try to juggle squads (fitness, form etc) coming into the crunch period of the season.

Look at our very own Huttinho. Went to Spain and came back much improved.

No he didn't. When he came back he went on loan to Bolton and wasn't a definite starter while he was there.

Edited by Stevo985

Two clubs lose on away goals, another get beaten by the favourites. QUICK EVERYBODY LETS PANIC AND DECLARE THE DEATH OF ENGLISH FOOTBALL!!!

thats a way of looking at it but the champions were outclassed, 2nd place team in league last season never made it our of the groups and the other 2 lost to french opposition who are hardly the best

Cut the number of teams in the Premier League, ditch the league cup and have a winter break. Problem sorted, oh and do what other countries do and allow teams to move fixtures before and after big European games.

I have little or no interest in the CL so don't really care but would find it very interesting if England lost a CL place. Competition for those 3 slots would be utterly brutal and very entertaining to watch.

Cut the number of teams in the Premier League, ditch the league cup and have a winter break. Problem sorted, oh and do what other countries do and allow teams to move fixtures before and after big European games.

Not sure if serious.

their still 14,000 points ahead of Italy in 4th so wont be losing spot for at least 5 seasons. though Italy do have all their representatives still in Europe(well until tonight at least)

the only country at this stage to still have that

Not sure if serious.

100% serious

The winter break is bollocks, especially considering that the clubs would just use it for friendlies in Dubai anyway, so is the league cup, copa del rey is 2 legs so same games and the likes of arsenal play reserves anyway, about the moving of fixtures is a valid point but the clubs have gone chasing tv money so can't really complain about tv schedules

Excuses are out, man city was because of FFP and the seeding, arsenal was because of the away goal rule being out dated

City are talking shit, they were lucky to finish 2nd so the seeding advantage they will eventually have won't make any difference if they continue to under perform in the group, I do how ever agree with arsene, hate the away goals rule, and extra time and replays (in other competitions) think they're all out dated but that's probably because I think penalties are the best thing in football and should also be the greatest test of skill / technique, extra time IMO is a test of endurance

Not sure if serious.

100% serious

I agree it may help the perceived problem but it would be truly awful.

Two clubs lose on away goals, another get beaten by the favourites. QUICK EVERYBODY LETS PANIC AND DECLARE THE DEATH OF ENGLISH FOOTBALL!!!'

How DARE you understate matters with your ALL CAPS trickery. I was obviously talking about the DEATH OF THE KNOWN UNIVERSE, but didn't want to, as you say, "panic" people.

Oh, almost forgot: !!!

Three, right?

Edited by Plastic Man

Â