2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

I'm also of the opinion that good things don't happen to us.

The FA Cup final was like the pigs blood being poured on Carrie. Only we don't have any telekinetic powers, and despite reports that we might be getting some this summer, nothing has yet materialised.

"The FA Cup final was like the pigs blood being poured on Carrie!"   Jesus Christ :D

• Like 2

But why would the club stop signing players when there isn't even a bid on the table? That's just crazy!

But that's the point there is a bid on the table, or at least an indicative bid. The only reason a party would be granted exclusivity is that they have made an offer that meets with Randy Lerner's expectations.

OK the club has made no official statement on the matter it's just what has been leaked to the media but it certainly has not been denied by the club and that for me is the crucial point. I would guess that not only is there a period of exclusivity but also confidentiality agreements so it will mean there will be very little information coming into the public domain. The key difference between now and when Lerner bought the club is that we are privately owned so there is no obligation to announce anything to the stock market, unlike back then.

Until an actual deal is done it is bound to be business as usual and Sherwood will be working within the constraints set by Lerner and Fox which as we all know means controlling the wage bill and no mega transfers. After all any deal could fall over and the club has to sensibly plan for next season on a no change basis.

I think we should all relax until we hear something more concrete.

No, that's not the case. There isn't a bid, there's interest. We've allowed someone to look at our books to decide if they want to bid.

Apparently we've been here before last season and it fell through.  With that in mind, AVFC cannot just come to a standstill as a business whilst someone decides if they want to bid.  It could take them 2 months to go through everything...

When the Exclusivity thing was announced on SSN, they showed a film of Tim betting a Journo £100 that we wouldn't be in new hands by the time they return for Pre-Season Training (Jul 6 apparently)

Everyday I wake up and think “today could be the day" only to be disappointed.  Well I am determined to change now.  Nothing’s going to happen…..definitely not……not a chance in hell.....well there’s a small chance, but it wont............but it could..........it could be imminent.........it could even be today....FFS will someone buy the fecking club

• Like 4

But why would the club stop signing players when there isn't even a bid on the table? That's just crazy!

But that's the point there is a bid on the table, or at least an indicative bid. The only reason a party would be granted exclusivity is that they have made an offer that meets with Randy Lerner's expectations.

OK the club has made no official statement on the matter it's just what has been leaked to the media but it certainly has not been denied by the club and that for me is the crucial point. I would guess that not only is there a period of exclusivity but also confidentiality agreements so it will mean there will be very little information coming into the public domain. The key difference between now and when Lerner bought the club is that we are privately owned so there is no obligation to announce anything to the stock market, unlike back then.

Until an actual deal is done it is bound to be business as usual and Sherwood will be working within the constraints set by Lerner and Fox which as we all know means controlling the wage bill and no mega transfers. After all any deal could fall over and the club has to sensibly plan for next season on a no change basis.

I think we should all relax until we hear something more concrete.

No, that's not the case. There isn't a bid, there's interest. We've allowed someone to look at our books to decide if they want to bid.

Apparently we've been here before last season and it fell through.  With that in mind, AVFC cannot just come to a standstill as a business whilst someone decides if they want to bid.  It could take them 2 months to go through everything...

I'm sorry you are wrong on that point, no company is going the allow another company complete due diligence without having an offer on the table. That offer will be indicative and subject to due diligence but an offer non the less. Without giving too much away I come across precisely this sort of situation, albeit with much smaller companies on a regular basis, the company I work for has never had access to another company's books without having an indicative offer accepted.

Where we do agree is that it's business as usual until a bid is accepted and the buyer has completed.

• Like 3

lets not dick around here, apart from tony adams & his mate who cannot raise the funds.. the club is stuck in learners hands,

theirs no sugar daddy from china/ oil nation who really wants the club, if they did they would just buy it, its that simple

lets not dick around here, apart from tony adams & his mate who cannot raise the funds.. the club is stuck in learners hands,

theirs no sugar daddy from china/ oil nation who really wants the club, if they did they would just buy it, its that simple

The Oracle has spoken. It really is that simple. (Utter nonsense).

Billionaires generally become billionaires through being careful, systematic and patient. It takes time, which is how it should be.

So I work in a industry that deals with big business mergers and acquisitions and can't stress enough the need to be patient.

For a business of this nature where the assets are extremely diverse and sometimes unquantifiable the due diligence can be a long and arduous process.

However in my opinion and experience the fact that the due diligence is taking a while is actually a good sign. I'd much rather the club be bought by someone who takes the time to ensure they are getting value for money and conduct the takeover in a through and proper process rather than someone 'cowboy' businessman just storm in, throw the money down on the table as if this is a new toy shiny toy (which they may later find they can't afford).

Don't get me wrong, from a transfer perspective you might want the described 'cowboy' owner as they will come in a throw money at transfers but we've seen owners like this time and time again fail and cripple a club. I'd much rather an owner with some business and financial aptitude who will run the business properly (and hopefully have lots of money to spend too!)

Great post thanks and I concur.

Football fans are like nerds on the day the new iPhone is released. They turn up to the shop hoping for a 32gb in black but they've sold out, so instead they buy the 16gb in white and spend the next 2 years regretting it.

Football fans and patience don't go together.

The whole "we're still being linked with players I don't rate, so they're either skint, shit owners or its not happening at all" schtick is indicative of this. People don't even have the patience to stop and think about what they're saying. Maybe they're right, but in the absence of any information why assume the worst? Remarkable really, but also boringly predictable.

• Like 4

The club won't carry on as normal if there's a takeover deal happening. Fox said that himself a few weeks back. Whether it is operating as normal now, or it's being affected I wouldn't know. Randy closed his restaurant and a few background people have lost their jobs, so maybe that would suggest that something's going on.

@useless

Not necessarily, sounds more like standard cost cutting, and makes sense if Randy's intention is to sell he would want to trim any non essential costs in the interim period, if anything it would suggest a sale is not imminent and he is slimming down non core operations as he will be paying the bills for the foreseeable future.

I truly hope the club is set-up as a real business, if so then yes it absolutely should be business as usual, a budget should be place, the recruitment team should have a big list of players to pursue (both within and out of current budget), ditto for the players that are to moved on.

• Like 1

So I work in a industry that deals with big business mergers and acquisitions  and can't stress enough the need to be patient.

For a business of this nature where the assets are extremely diverse and sometimes unquantifiable the due diligence can be a long and arduous process.

However in my opinion and experience the fact that the due diligence is taking a while is actually a good sign. I'd much rather the club be bought by someone who takes the time to ensure they are getting value for money and conduct the takeover in a through and proper process rather than someone 'cowboy' businessman just storm in, throw the money down on the table as if this is a new toy shiny toy (which they may later find they can't afford).

Don't get me wrong, from a transfer perspective you might want the described 'cowboy' owner as they will come in a throw money at transfers but we've seen owners like this time and time again fail and cripple a club. I'd much rather an owner with some business and financial aptitude who will run the business properly (and hopefully have lots of money to spend too!)    

I'm a lawyer and have worked on similar acquisitions and totally agree with the above. These things take a lot of time and in the meantime you're not going to hear anything as these preliminary agreements always come with strict confidentiality clauses and restrictions on trading. It's going to take time and in the meantime you're not going to get a sniff of anything unless information gets leaked.

• Like 3

The club won't carry on as normal if there's a takeover deal happening. Fox said that himself a few weeks back.

I'm not sure anyone said it was operating "as normal"?

I'm sure I haven't said that anyone has said it's operating 'as normal'.

The club won't carry on as normal if there's a takeover deal happening. Fox said that himself a few weeks back.

Ok.

Can you show me Fox's quote?

Ok.

Can you show me Fox's quote?

Not now, but hopefully I shall later. But he definitely said something along the lines of the takeover is a dynamic that will affect the running of the club or transfer dealings.

I've already said that it's only a concern of mine. I'm not trying to argue the point that just because we've signed Richards and have been linked to a few other players it means we're not going to be taken over.

Â