The DIY thread

mjmooney

On 09/05/2023 at 13:08, sidcow said:

I'd have that up in a jiffy. Practice makes perfect as they say.  And I've had plenty of practice 

Who's Ajiffy?

• Like 1

Next question. 

The wall the top of the bannister was fitted against wasn’t straight, so there’s a big gap behind it that I need to fill. 

IMG-2075.jpg

IMG-2076.jpg

see?

Best way to do this?

At the moment my plan is gorilla filla (expanding foam filler) behind it. Then sand it down and caulk it before painting

Any other suggestions?

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Next question. 

The wall the top of the bannister was fitted against wasn’t straight, so there’s a big gap behind it that I need to fill. 

IMG-2075.jpg

IMG-2076.jpg

see?

Best way to do this?

At the moment my plan is gorilla filla (expanding foam filler) behind it. Then sand it down and caulk it before painting

Any other suggestions?

Knock the wall down and rebuild it so it's straight. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Next question. 

IMG-2075.jpg

IMG-2076.jpg

see?

Best way to do this?

Any other suggestions?

Why don't you just use caulk, a quality one? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Why do you need to fill it? By that I mean what issue is the gap causing? Or is this just an aesthetic thing?

It just seems like creating work for the sake of it

I don't think you'd need expanded foam filler. Looks small enough for decorators caulk to fill to me. 

Or maybe cover it with a bit of trim, some pine quadrant beading should bend into place. 

• Like 2

Nah it’s too big for caulk. I couldn’t get the angle of the photo right. I could get my finger through the gap. 

I’ll caulk it to finish but I think I need to fill the gap first

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Why do you need to fill it? By that I mean what issue is the gap causing? Or is this just an aesthetic thing?

It just seems like creating work for the sake of it

It’s just aesthetics. If I’m doing something I’d rather do a proper job

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s just aesthetics. If I’m doing something I’d rather do a proper job

Fairy nuff 

I was just thinking if you do have to remove the banister and you’ve used filler foam, it'll mean needing to do some work to the wall later on

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Fairy nuff 

I was just thinking if you do have to remove the banister and you’ve used filler foam, it'll mean needing to do some work to the wall later on

That’s for future Stevo to worry about

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Next question. 

IMG-2075.jpg

IMG-2076.jpg

see?

Best way to do this?

Any other suggestions?

If its not fixed in securely you could replace it with a thicker piece of wood cut thicker at one end.  

If you don't want the hassle of changing the piece of timber,  slide in a thin piece of wood that's not quite as big as the gap.  Secure it with a touch of wood glue. Then use wood filler for the last few mm.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/05/2023 at 09:51, sidcow said:

I don't think you'd need expanded foam filler. Looks small enough for decorators caulk to fill to me. 

Or maybe cover it with a bit of trim, some pine quadrant beading should bend into place. 

I caulked the shit out of it in the end and it looks good. It's probably a horror show underneath but oh well.

The only mistake I made was using caulk that can't be painted over so might have to dig it out and start again

• Sad 1

On 14/05/2023 at 13:25, foreveryoung said:

Piece of trim would be best.

That was my intended solution but decided to try the caulk first and managed to get it to work

Late to the party but no one mentioned filler as an option. sand it back flush and paint over it.

As others have said trim/quadrant comes in many mouldings and isn't silly money, depends on the look you're after.

2020-09-020E_F18368-Pack-A-scaled.jpg&f=

On 06/06/2023 at 12:39, Stevo985 said:

The only mistake I made was using caulk that can't be painted over so might have to dig it out and start again

Na you won't need to.

Just apply a shellac base primer to the caulked area in question, Leave it to dry for 12 hours and the paint will apply easily go on just fine.  :thumb:

• Thanks 1

Â