The DIY thread

mjmooney

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Does anyone have a robust source?

Government portal

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/outbuildings/planning-permission
from the drop-down select your local authority and follow the steps it gives. If you’re Brum, then this is the result

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/20090/allotments/174/allotment_rules/7

You are allowed to have one shed up to 3 metres by 2.4 metres and 2.6m high (10’ by 8’ by 8’6”).

There’s more info on the link than that extract, obviously   Ah, bollex, that’s for allotments, but the process and website should help

• Thanks 1

Do you know the height dimension of the shed? 2.5m is fairly tall for a shed.

For info., you can erect a fence on your boundary without permission that is 2.0m tall, so if the shed was 2.0m or less then it wouldn’t be an issue.

If it’s taller than that, then unfortunately it might be down to local quirks in planning and if you’re on a relatively new estate you might even need permission from the original builder. Easiest route, is to know how big a shed it is, work out how much it would stick above the garden wall, if it’s more than 2.0metres tall and could be seen by the neighbour, just knock on their door, say hi, and tell them your plan.

If you go on the planning portal, it should ask you to put your post code in and direct you to your local planners advice page. But there is info down the planning page I’ve linked that might be sufficient for you.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm buying a shed.

I want to put it at the back of my garden, only potential issue is the neighbour at the back of the garden has a wall onto our garden that will be slightly shorter than our shed.

It's the side of their house so I can't see it making any difference to them whatsoever, but also I don't know them so they might be mental.
So I want to make sure I'm doing everything by the book.

However I'm getting conflicting information online.

Some sites say the shed has to be 2.5m tall or less if it's within 2m of the property boundary.
Others say it has to be 2.5m tall or less AND more than 2m from the property boundary.

I'd rather the former was the case, as it being 2m from the back wall would look a bit odd. But like I said i want to do everything by the book. Does anyone have a robust source? Or knowledge?

The legal disclaimer bit, as ever, is contact your local authority (Council planning dept) and enquire - but as I understand it the rules say that if it is within 2m of any boundary then the total height of the building (including roof) must not exceed 2.5m.

The difference being that once 2m away the building could reach 3m - 4m in total with different style roofing but the eaves must still be a maximum of 2.5m

• Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
  • Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.

as others have said Planning Portal

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Do you know the height dimension of the shed? 2.5m is fairly tall for a shed.

For info., you can erect a fence on your boundary without permission that is 2.0m tall, so if the shed was 2.0m or less then it wouldn’t be an issue.

If it’s taller than that, then unfortunately it might be down to local quirks in planning and if you’re on a relatively new estate you might even need permission from the original builder. Easiest route, is to know how big a shed it is, work out how much it would stick above the garden wall, if it’s more than 2.0metres tall and could be seen by the neighbour, just knock on their door, say hi, and tell them your plan.

If you go on the planning portal, it should ask you to put your post code in and direct you to your local planners advice page. But there is info down the planning page I’ve linked that might be sufficient for you.

It's less than 2.5m, that bit isn't a problem. 

The bit I'm confused about is whether it needs to be 2m from the boundary or not.

Some sources say less than 2.5m high AND at least 2m from a boundary. Some say less than 2.5m IF it's less than 2m from a boundary

Thanks all, sounds like it can be within 2m if it's less than 2.5m tall. Which is what I hoped.

And makes sense as most people don't have sheds that are 2m from their fence

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

It's less than 2.5m, that bit isn't a problem. 

The bit I'm confused about is whether it needs to be 2m from the boundary or not.

Some sources say less than 2.5m high AND at least 2m from a boundary. Some say less than 2.5m IF it's less than 2m from a boundary

From the planning portal:

Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is the DIY thread not the lose the will to live thread :D 

I have to say mine are pretty helpful, but the thing I tend to lose each time I ask them a question is hundreds of pounds for the next license 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience of owning or using any Festool tools? I’m not an expert DIYer, but I do like to have a go at some things around the house before I mess it up and have to call in a professional. However, I need a new drill. I have been watching numerous YouTube videos about drills and other things, and I really really like the look of those by Festool. However, they are expensive… is it worth it just to ‘have it’ or should I just be getting one of the other decent brands, such as Dewalt or Milwaukee? One of the things that attracts me to Festool is the Systainers and the numerous attachments you can get using the centrotec system. 

Edited by Tayls

I need a new drill because I can’t find the charger for mine and it’s finally run out of power. I'll get another £30 one from IKEA and have two I can charge up separately :D 

Definitely in the a shit cheap drill is good enough for my needs camp, which since we've moved into he flat amounts to drilling holes in the bottom of plastic plant pots :crylaugh:

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

On the subject of sheds and planning-permission, aren't back gardens now classified as brownfield sites?

All existing developed space including developed as a garden is brown field.

Simple enough when it’s the 3 metres of grass behind number 22, more complicated when the garden stretches to the horizon, or includes the word Kew.

There was a recent case of a (tory) MP lobbying that a planning proposal to demolish a house and build new on the same plot should be refused, the new house should be on a brown field site.  I’m sure the planning officer had a careful choice of words explaining the MP clearly didn’t know what he was on about.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tayls said:

Does anyone have any experience of owning or using any Festool tools? I’m not an expert DIYer, but I do like to have a go at some things around the house before I mess it up and have to call in a professional. However, I need a new drill. I have been watching numerous YouTube videos about drills and other things, and I really really like the look of those by Festool. However, they are expensive… is it worth it just to ‘have it’ or should I just be getting one of the other decent brands, such as Dewalt or Milwaukee? One of the things that attracts me to Festool is the Systainers and the numerous attachments you can get using the centrotec system. 

Why not get a Black and Decker or similar? Sounds like you won't get much use out of it. And I'm pretty sure you just made up that last sentence.

Â