The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Remi Garde, Biesla and Hiddink are a few that spring to mind. Can't actually think of many available British managers with Premier league experience who'd might do a decent job.

Edited by useless

Not sure how anyone can be turning their noses up at David Moyes when we have a glorified youth development coach in charge at the moment.

It's crazy isn't it?

I wonder if people don't realise just how shit Aston Villa are right now?

People turning their noses up at Moyes and even Allardyce is just so strange. That's exactly what we need right now.

We'd all love a better manager instead who's going to come in, play amazing football and win us the league. But they pretty much don't exist.

I'd be thrilled with Moyes. I don't think we'll be getting into Europe with him in charge but I sure as hell don't think we'll be getting relegated either.
His record at Sociedad is more than good enough for Aston Villa at this point.

• Like 4

I'd happily go for a foreign coach. However our position in the table would probably make the board go for an experienced premier league manager and to be honest I can't blame them. However if they go foreign and get a good manager in it could work but represents perhaps a bigger gamble.

People, including our board, need to make the distinction between "experienced" and "good".

I don't want a manager who has any experience of the premier league. I want a manager who has SUCCESSFUL experience of the premier league

• Like 2

The problem is the club has changed managers so often the team has no identity.  There is no continuity through the youth system with regards to formation or style of play, there is no "Villa way", we are bereft of direction, leadership or long term plan.

To be fair to Collimore, one of the biggest clubs in English Football is cut adrift in the current with a fledgling crew and a rookie Captain.  That is unacceptable!  We are a feeder club and when Grealish goes next year that will hit home hard!

We genuinely need to rebuild from the ground up and that takes a strong leader, who is stubborn, forceful and dogged in their determination.  Moyes could do that no doubt, it wouldn't be pleasant to watch but we could get back into the top eight.  Rogers has the longevity in my opinion to build something longer term but doubt he would come.  Either way, we need to reinvent this club and get it back to where it belongs.

Edited by macandally

If Rodgers doesn't want to come then I don't think there's anyone with decent Premier league experience who we can realistically hope to get. The only names I can think of are Pearson and Hughton and I'm sure there are others of similar caliber, but if we go abroad I'm sure we could do better .

Edited by useless

Moyes ticks all the boxes. He's experienced with relegation battles. He's experienced building a solid midtable squad. He has champions league experience. And if worse comes to it he's also experienced lower league football. He's got good contacts in football (hopefully he's cast his eye on some more unknown spanish talent)

he can bring through younger players (Rooney Jeffers Barkley etc) He can spot lower league players who can step up (Jagelka)

I would absolutley blow him out of the water to get him here.

Moyes is an intelligent football man he will see we need 2 centre halves in Jan and Charlie Austin. and maybe a lee carsley type grafter to replace Ashley Westwood.

Just that bug eye'd stare alone would put enough wind up Guzan for him to put his foot through every back pass that came near him.

Not sure how anyone can be turning their noses up at David Moyes when we have a glorified youth development coach in charge at the moment.

It's crazy isn't it?

I wonder if people don't realise just how shit Aston Villa are right now?

People turning their noses up at Moyes and even Allardyce is just so strange. That's exactly what we need right now.

We'd all love a better manager instead who's going to come in, play amazing football and win us the league. But they pretty much don't exist.

I'd be thrilled with Moyes. I don't think we'll be getting into Europe with him in charge but I sure as hell don't think we'll be getting relegated either.
His record at Sociedad is more than good enough for Aston Villa at this point.

I think that's it.

In some ways I respect the people who are turning their noses up at Moyes and Allardyce because they are sticking to their ideals of what Aston Villa Football Club should be.

Unfortunately the reality is that we are annual relegation candidates who are lucky to still be in the Premier League. If we have any hope of getting back to somewhere near what we all think Aston Villa is capable of being then we need to start with a successful and experienced manager and we should be jumping for joy if we get one like David Moyes.

Getting the manager sorted is only one part of the problem but it needs resolving. Then hopefully onto getting an owner that has a clue.....

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 2

Judging on our cup games against lower league opposition, I think we'd struggle in the championship if I'm honest. Maybe not 'relegation' struggle, but I don't think we'd get out of there in a hurry.

Cups games are not a good measure to judge how we will do in the championship. 

If Moyes are interested we would be stupid not to make it happen. Would take him over Rodgers every time. Don't think he plays boring football either, he played to his squads strength at Everton like a manager is supposed to do. Use Baines going forward as much as possible were very successful for many seasons. He found a place in the team for Arteta. 

Jesper Blomkvist was a guest in the studio a few years ago before a Everton game. When asked were he put Moyes of all the managers he had, Jesper answered first. The media guy was a little shocked cause Jesper played for Cappello and Ferguson. 

• Like 1

For those who want Moyes, Sociedad are not doing a lot better than we are this season.

Don't think that comparison is valid. Different team different circumstances. Moyes is a proven manager Sherwood is not.

Lucien Favre got sacked from Mönchengladbach after a bad start but is still better than Sherwood.

Rodgers got sacked and he is also better than Sherwood.

For those who want Moyes, Sociedad are not doing a lot better than we are this season.

Don't care he is twice the manager Timmy is and has shown that he's got what it takes to turn a relagation struggling team into a stable mid table side. If you're still in the Sherwood in camp I suggest that you wake up and the smell coffee. Likewise if you think that we're too good for the likes of Allardyce and Moyes

Remi Garde, Biesla and Hiddink are a few that spring to mind. Can't actually think of many available British managers with Premier league experience who'd might do a decent job.

None of the above would touch us with a barge pole. Bielsa and Hiddink are not getting any younger either. 

If the rumours are true that Moyes would be interested then that might steady the ship, Rodgers if he'd come would be a good appointment. We should have a chat with Montella too IMO. Just to see which side his spaghetti is buttered. 

Judging on our cup games against lower league opposition, I think we'd struggle in the championship if I'm honest. Maybe not 'relegation' struggle, but I don't think we'd get out of there in a hurry.

Cups games are not a good measure to judge how we will do in the championship. 

One or two games are not. However we've struggled against a lot of lower league teams in recent years. I think our team the way it is will really struggle to put wins together down there.

This clown is staying. Get used to it.

We will go down this season as we don't have benteke. It really is as simple as that imo.

No chance.

Dead man walking it's just a question of when rather than if.

The cynic inside me thinks it will be mid January, leaving little or no time to bring players in.

Â