The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I think he makes some fair points and not just about the two forwards.

Sherwood was seen as simple up and at 'em manger before he took the job. Tactics was one of the main concerns people had with him when we appointed him. It's still a concern now imo. He has, however shown that there is more to him on occasion.

The point about the centre halfs splitting is a valid one too and raised during the game by Neville on SKY. It's the balance between risk/reward and that risk just isn't worth taking imo. Sometimes we came out with the ball well, but often put ourselves under pressure and ended up going long anyway. And aimlessly at that.

We were blowing after 20 odd minutes due to the intensity of our off the ball work - another valid and fair point. We re-grouped after half time, but the last 10mins of the first half were a struggle.

I don't think it's that critical to be fair. It's pretty obvious stuff, but accurate none the less.

He's a young inexperienced manager and it stands to reason that he's still developing his 'identity' as a coach. He wants to play good, exciting football, but is still working out the best way to do it.

I think I understand why he set up like he did against UTD, I think he saw an opportunity to get at them early in the season and wanted to get on the front foot quickly. To be fair, it could have worked, but we were a bit pants. Equally, we could have got burned bad, because they were a bit pants too.

• Like 1

The reporter is basing his assessment on the grounds that one of the two strikers was picked ahead of Gestede. We all know that wasn't the case and given the players available, I would think most agree that the starting 11 was correct. The argument seems to be that Kozak should have come on at some point. I personally don't think Kozak would have changed anything and I certainly don't buy into these "great positional sense" claims. Supply from the midfield was at a premium and for long periods of that game, United contained us comfortably.

One or two on here have surely missed their vocation in life, if only Tom Fox had known about them we wouldn't be stuck with this idiot Sherwood !

Or maybe he knew the pros and cons AND stuff we don't know or consider....hmmmm, which could it be ?

Maybe you forget that this is a "forum"?

"A place where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged or expressed."

I don't have a big problem with Sherwood and think he like many of the players he has bought, needs time nor do I have a problem with people challenging his decisions. Tim has as yet NOT proved himself and is definitely NOT above questioning. He has brought some excitement back to a club that was going nowhere. Now he needs to show he can take us forward.

Maybe YOU forgot this is a Forum ..."a place where views and ideas may be expressed " ?

I was simply expressing my view, which is one of incredulity at people who say stuff like the manager didn't "react to stuff which is glaringly obvious" as if there is a massive fault with the Managers ( and all those alongside him) for either not seeing something ' glaringly obvious' or if seeing it, being unable to react.........rather than considering that they had one view of something and the Manager another.

I didn't say anything about Sherwood being the finished article, or above criticism, and never have, but there is a world of difference between having a different opinion to the Manager and some of the comments in the page or two before mine.

• Like 1

Pleased the team is trying to build from the back this season. Guzan is rolling it out to the CBs the majority of the time and it looks like players are being encouraged to keep possession, and even though we haven't yet managed to convert that into an attacking threat I think it's a step in the right direction.

Hopefully we'll see an improvement in that department when Gueye and Veretout settle in and Traore and Grealish and Gil start getting game time.

All in all I've been very pleased with Sherwood so far. At the beginning I thought it was going to be a short-term solution but I like the way he carries himself and I think he has done really well. Long may it continue.

Any article analyzing Villa in the ManU game that doesn't have the phrase "Of course lets remember Villa were playing a team that cost hundreds of millions more than them" or similar within it is pretty much meaningless. You can't write a tactical analysis of that game without pointing out the fact that the premier league is not a level playing field. They have vastly more expensive players. Arguing about how Sherwood should or shouldn't have handled that massive gulf is all well and good but the imbalance in the league should be front and center for any self respecting analyst.

• Like 4

Any article analyzing Villa in the ManU game that doesn't have the phrase "Of course lets remember Villa were playing a team that cost hundreds of millions more than them" or similar within it is pretty much meaningless. You can't write a tactical analysis of that game without pointing out the fact that the premier league is not a level playing field. They have vastly more expensive players. Arguing about how Sherwood should or shouldn't have handled that massive gulf is all well and good but the imbalance in the league should be front and center for any self respecting analyst.

Spot on.

Disagree, Swansea last week were tactically astute against Chelsea, west Ham were against Arsenal. Not saying anything against sherwood but you don't have to use money as an excuse, it's the same in most leagues.

• Like 1

Disagree, Swansea last week were tactically astute against Chelsea, west Ham were against Arsenal. Not saying anything against sherwood but you don't have to use money as an excuse, it's the same in most leagues.

True to an extent... But, Then West Ham go and lose at home to Leicester (Chelsea spanked at Citeh) and I'll judge Swansea's tactical astuteness when they have played Man City, United, Arsenal and Liverpool and see how they fare.

Any team can have a result 'on their day...' Over the season, the gulf in class and gulf in money always shows. Otherwise, Swansea and even Stoke City would be in the Champions League. Southampton's capitulation prior to their squad being burgled is a textbook case for me.

Of course you can. Its almost as if its super common sense and really doesnt need "x spent more" every. single. article. Its the last thing i want to see written in an analyst post. Its something that i already know and dont need repeating. I would be reading them articles to learn, not to be told something i already know. Otherwise whats the point of it?

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

It's a fair excuse when both teams are playing at their best but that doesn't happen all the time. For example, Man U were definitely there for the taking the other day but we weren't up to speed either, which isn't a surprise given the new guys/injuries situation. Had we been on song, we definitely could have won that game. 

It's a fair excuse when both teams are playing at their best but that doesn't happen all the time. For example, Man U were definitely there for the taking the other day but we weren't up to speed either, which isn't a surprise given the new guys/injuries situation. Had we been on song, we definitely could have won that game.

Totally agree with you.

That's a turn up eh!

Our problem was the shere amount of creative talent missing. United on the other hand were virtually full strength yet they barely troubled us. We should take positives from the performance I think.

• Like 3

Yeah, it's unfortunate that our creative attackers were all unavailable but that won't be the case for the majority of the season, I hope. 

I think the Palace game will be our biggest challenge so far, actually.

Also, I was a bit harsh yesterday - so sorry about that. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it's unfortunate that our creative attackers were all unavailable but that won't be the case for the majority of the season, I hope.

Don't apologise, I really enjoyed the debate! It's good to be challenged.

• Like 3

I think we will do fine (we won't finish top 10) but we will not get relegated. These players are learning to play with each other, in a new country, many of them learning a new language. Our current players (or, the ones who were already here) are learning to work with new players and learning about their colleagues. It'll take time to get all the pieces to fit - but it will happen.

In reality with all players fit and on form, we could reach top 6. But we have to also look at the fact that not all players will make the grade, or fit in, or just won't adapt. We've signed 10 players and I can't see them all working out. "This is football."

How do we stand right now? Even with players learning about their place in the team, I feel we are a better team than we were last season. We seem to be more dynamic - players can interchange with each other on the pitch, we don't have players who can only commit to one role. In that respect we are better off.

But we lost Benteke and Delph?

Yeah ok, they were key players. But what we have gained are players who can score from other positions, for example Richards, Veretout, Toure and of course, I think Gil and Grealish will chip in.

We also have creativity in more areas, so instead of relying on hard working players (cough!) out wide in Weimann and Gabby, we will now see a little more spark all over the pitch - this will benefit us.

Even if Gestede only scores 12-15 goals we are in a better position because others will contribute more.

Second to the players fitting in, Sherwood also needs time to get his ideas across to the new lot. They don't come ready installed with how we play and what he wants from them - they learn this game by game, win, lose or draw.

So, we will be ok this season. We just need to give them time.

• Like 2

Don't apologise, I really enjoyed the debate! It's good to be challenged.

Follicley as well as mentally! (well in my case anyway)

:P

I don't think we can be critiquing Tim Sherwoods tactics this early in the season. So many of our players (pretty much all) are completely new and need time to play in this league and with these different players. You can't just throw them all together and they will play to their abilities like on *shudder* FIFA 2015.

This is real life and there's a lot of things that come in to play that may a team gel and things to click.

We have had an amazing window so far, I think we can all agree with that and with a squad now bustling with different options and prospects it's certainly going to be an interesting season.

Tim doesn't know his best team yet, and neither do we... After Xmas we will start to see what the new AstonVilla looks like and I think we'll be just fine

Regardless of how where we end up this season, I'd like to say that I'm chuffed to bits with Sherwood. He's undeniably passionate, appears to be very hands-on but also seems to know when he needs assistance.

He's maturing in front of our eyes, as witnessed by his radio silence during the Benteke and Delph sales. This is the very beginning of his managerial career, but I'm give him all the slack he needs to make his team gel.  

• Like 4

Reading some of the posts on here it's like we'd been taken apart by a non league side instead of losing narrowly to a team that will be challenging for every honour. I might even agree with some of those points if we were a seasoned settled side and not one missing it's best attackers and with loads of players getting to know each other. Sherwood has shown enough last season to warrant backing for the whole of this season and that's without adding in the quality we seem to have assembled this summer.

• Like 1

Â