The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

The most important thing that a manager needs? "Character and Charisma" according to Sherwood in that interview....

... and you know what? I think he's right. Sure, hard work, good decisions, etc, etc - but you get that from most (if not all) managers.

Take our dealings this summer. Yes, big team effort in scouting and signing these players - but they want to come here and, I think, Tim plays a BIG part in that.

Why?

"Character and Charisma".

Our fanbase connects with those types who big up the club, add Big Ron and MON to that.

Not so much Houllier and DOL who downplayed things right from the start. McLeish was onto a loser from the start bit he was cut from the same cloth.

Brian Little and Lambert two anomalies in this.

Lambert talked the club up but he didn't have anything like the kind of dynamism (if that's the right word?) that Sherwood has. His public persona was very dour.

On another note, why is he one of the favourites to be the first manager to leave their post according to the bookies? Makes little sense.

Edited by Mantis

I like him as a person but I'm not convinced by his management skills, he was shown up way too often tactically last season and looked like he is a one trick pony. Hopefully bringing Wilkins in will help him improve that side of his management. I'll give it til Christmas before I properly judge him unless he's dramatically good or bad then it won't be a hard decision.

It's very premature to say that DDID - we'll know in about 5 games if he's doing a fantastic job or not.

He's doing a fantastic job right now.

Again, it's premature to say that until we see what the new team can do on the pitch in a competitive match in the premier league.

The most important thing that a manager needs? "Character and Charisma" according to Sherwood in that interview....

... and you know what? I think he's right. Sure, hard work, good decisions, etc, etc - but you get that from most (if not all) managers.

Take our dealings this summer. Yes, big team effort in scouting and signing these players - but they want to come here and, I think, Tim plays a BIG part in that.

Why?

I'd disagree with that. Character and charisma get your foot in the door but if you can't back it up with an analytical tactical reactive brain - you're stuffed.

• Like 1

Why?

I'd disagree with that. Character and charisma get your foot in the door but if you can't back it up with an analytical tactical reactive brain - you're stuffed.

Absolutely.

You can't get by on just character and charisma. But it helps shape how players play for you and if players want to come at all. That's important, especially when things aren't going well.

Why?

Absolutely.

You can't get by on just character and charisma. But it helps shape how players play for you and if players want to come at all. That's important, especially when things aren't going well.

You can get by without charisma quite happily - Ferguson and Guardiola being examples of that. Charisma can also mask ineptitude for a while, so it's something you have to be wary of. 

Why?

Absolutely.

You can get by without charisma quite happily - Ferguson and Guardiola being examples of that. Charisma can also mask ineptitude for a while, so it's something you have to be wary of.

Fergie and Guardiola had no charisma!???

• Like 1

I didn't like Lambert, his personality seemed very dour.

Sherwood when he first came in seemed a cock. I thought short term he would keep us but was a very big gamble long term.

But in all honestly personality as a manager doesn't matter to me, it's results that matter. I would've loved lambert if we had been winning, and I'll love sherwood if he gets us winning.

To be fair to the bloke his hands were pretty much tied last year with the squad we had, confidence shot, no system, This year is when we will see if he has it tactically now he has different players and he has had the time to work with them. still think it will take a couple of months for it to gel as some of the players have only just arrived. I like the bloke and think he will do well, the thing that sticks out for me is he hurt as much as we did after the final, he was embarrassed and angry. I honestly do not think he will allow another performance like that again.

• Like 1

I am maybe being harsh but I think Lambert was in it more for the money than anything else. Either that or he totally underestimated the task at hand. The move was career suicide as a manager but financially he is set for life.

Sherwood on the other hand gives the impression it's about much more than that.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Fergie and Guardiola had no charisma!???

My thoughts exactly.

Same charisma as Sherwood? Nope - but they still had it in spades.

They don't have 'compelling attractiveness or charm' - one is a grumpy Scot, the other is a reclusive Catalan.

I am maybe being harsh but I think Lambert was in it more for the money than anything else. Either that or he totally underestimated the task at hand. The move was career suicide as a manager but financially he is set for life.

I think that's a load of nonsense.

• Like 1

At least state why you think that?

I am maybe being harsh but I think Lambert was in it more for the money than anything else. 

I think thats very harsh. He could have earnt a little bit less and have a much easier job. Would be very surprised if most people didnt say he was extremely hard working. Just things didnt work out and he lost his way. He had a harder job than sherwood has now iyam (obv both really hard)

Also shouldnt you state why you thought he was in it for the money first? (replying to your post to stevo)

Edited by gharperr

Edit: sorry I keep losing signal so posted multiple times.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Because there's literally nothing to suggest that Lambert only took the Villa job for the money.

I actually don't understand how you've made that leap?

I couldn't, and don't, understand why people didn't and don't like him, seems a good guy to me.

to sum it up quickly: He came across as someone who would stick his dick in  your pint for #bantz 

But he is winning me over

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

Â