The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Man U, Man C and Tottenham away in April was always going to be tough. We'll do well to come away with one point out of that run of games.

The QPR home match is the big one and we need to support Sherwood and the team to make sure we get the win in that game.

I can't believe we got hammered away to that crap oh hold on we lost by 2 goals the last being in stoppage time to Man Utd away one of the inform teams this year? Even though we didn't play well we was still in the game at 90 min. We aren't as good as Utd and this isn't the game that'll decide our season. Anything from today would've been a bonus. Tuesday is massive. For every one clamouring for a semi final ticket there's a final at Villa Park on Tuesday and we need the place rocking We can't afford to lose and realistically we need to win. I just hope we can get some injured players back. I think there must be a bug going around or something as no Sinclair or Westwood and it seemed Nzogbia was only staying on for so long.

If that had been served up by Lambert I would be fully laying into him right now and it will be no different with Sherwood. That was a poor selection and approach. There was no intention to even try and compete until they went 2-0 up. Disappointing.

• Like 1

I think we're forgetting just how bad it was when Lambert was finally sacked.

In the 8 games before sherwood was hired our record was.

Pl 8 W 2 D 1 L 5 GF 4 GA 13

Those 2 wins were both against championship teams.

In the 8 games since Sherwood was hired

Pl 8 W 4 D 0 L 4 GF 12 GA 9

He's had 8 games with someone elses squad of players who were playing abysmal stuff for months when he arrived.

This period is all about survival, if we do it with games to spare great, if we do it with a deflection in the last minute of the last game then still job done.  Next year is the time to judge and criticise IMO, to do it now really doesn't take into account the situation he walked into.

Edited by DCJonah

I'm not sure.

I mean if we go down I am blaming him and Lambert i'm not waiting until next year to judge him if we go down.

He knew what he was walking into and as it stands we are safe however we are only one or two results away from an absolute disaster.

Equally if we stay up he deserves alot of credit.

I'm not sure.

I mean if we go down I am blaming him and Lambert i'm not waiting until next year to judge him if we go down.

He knew what he was walking into and as it stands we are safe however we are only one or two results away from an absolute disaster.

If we go down then I'd blame Lerner and Lambert and say Sherwood didn't do enough and wasn't good enough.

But I just don't see the need to be so critical of decisions when he's come into the situation he has. 

If that had been served up by Lambert I would be fully laying into him right now and it will be no different with Sherwood. That was a poor selection and approach. There was no intention to even try and compete until they went 2-0 up. Disappointing.

But Lambert DID serve that up, only it was against teams like Hull and Leicester, not one of the best teams in the league...

I don't think Sherwood should be judged too harshly on this result, if we put in that kind of performance against QPR, that's a totally different matter, but taking a defensive approach is understandable against Man U at old Trafford

• Like 1

let's see how how he does against a QPR side with their tails up. A win is absolutely essential however it's gained, let's see of the cult of the personality has any use in that match. So far two wins against west brom ( the same west brom battered by shitty qpr) and a goddawful sunderland side who promptly parted with their manager are limited evidence of capability. 

it's close at the bottom tim, you may not have noticed, but playing players who are actually capable of creating and scoring goals might be a good idea.

Pretty much as I see it - much hype - 2 wins - any team approaching mediocre turns us over - they don't hammer us - but they take the points none the less...

I'm not sure.

If we go down then Sherwood will have failed at what he was hired to do.

I won't blame Sherwood, because it would just be that he wasn't good enough to turn us around.

I will blame his appointment though.

Luckily, I think this will be a moot point as I think he's got enough to keep us up

Remember that Spurs article that was posted when Tim was about to join? Seems they are right about his tactics at they are baffling as well as his subs!! Bringing on Grealish & Gil for N'Zog and Weimann would have had a real go today!!

What can you say about Tim Sherwood's tactics while he was at Tottenham?

What can you say about Tim Sherwood's tactics while he was at Tottenham?

Dustin Gerber Martin: I’ll leave it to Michael or Greg to write specifics on "Tactics Tim’s" tactics, since they’ll do a much better job than I can.  So instead I’ll just say that during his tenure he played Nacer Chadli as a defensive midfielder, and Kyle Walker as a #10. That, I believe, speaks for itself.

Michael Caley: I honestly believe he did not have tactics. He betrayed zero understanding of the dynamics of a football match. I think my favorite example is the match Spurs drew with West Bromwich Albion over the holidays. Sherwood had been playing a wide-open 4-4-2 with little organization in midfield (he attempted a midfield pairing of two #10s, Christian Eriksen and Gylfi Sigurdsson, at one horrible point). West Brom manager Pepe Mel used the world's simplest counter to the 4-4-2 - a 3-CB set up that allowed him to have a free CB while both strikers were covered. Tim made absolutely no tactical countermoves all match. It was like a chess match in which one player moves his pawns down the board and the other chooses to forfeit his turns instead of play, claiming his pieces need to show more belief in themselves. Spurs scored on a brilliant free kick by Christian Eriksen and did next to nothing from open play. I have never had less fun watching a football match in my life.

After bad results, Sherwood almost without fail complained about the lack of effort or belief. After being comprehensively outcoached by Mel, Sherwood said, ""We didn't carve them open enough and didn't show enough quality in the final third, that was disappointing. It's important we believe and risk a little more." It may sound like typical blather, but nothing about Sherwood's tactics ever suggested he didn't believe it whole-heartedly.

There have been comparisons to Harry Redknapp that I think are importantly off-base. For one, Redknapp at his peak always had more going on tactically than his media persona would indicate. For another, Redknapp was very good at placing his players in reasonably simple roles where they could excel. Tim Sherwood by contrast decided that Nacer Chadli, a winger probably best used as a wide forward, should play central midfield in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1. He was awful. Sherwood tried Kyle Walker not as an attacking wing, which would be wrong but not insane, but as a #10. It was horrific. He showed next to no ability to draw up simple tactics around his players' strengths. Those he got good performances from were players who either were too good to fail (Eriksen) or had already been established in the correct position beforehand (Kane, Adebayor, Vertonghen, Bentaleb.)

Sherwood had a run of results with Tottenham mostly because Emmanuel Adebayor, on his career no more than a mediocre finisher, went on the hot streak of his life for two months. Once Ade cooled down, the results fell off to match the club's overall play. Defensively we were a shambles, and that's being generous.

Skipjack: He played Kyle Walker. In Central Midfield. Against a Jose Mourinho coached Chelsea. Think about that. No really. Stop what you're doing and think about how a manager of a Premier League team with enough money to challenge for the top four actually did that. In a football game. That mattered. Sherwood was a tactical moron. Tottenham scored more under him than under AVB, but this has less to do with him coming up with a new game plan and more to do with him just taking AVB's leash off of them. Of course this complete lack of planning led to us leaking goals and conceding leads like crazy. You know how everyone thinks Harry Redknapp is a hapless idiot who tells people to run around and try hard? That is what Tim Sherwood actually is.

Can't say i'm too fussed about that if we stay up to be honest.

He wasn't hired as a manager due to his tactics as crazy as it sounds.

I'm not sure he is the long term solution but if he does the required job and keeps us up this season it's job done and he will perhaps get a bit more time.

I can't however see him having it as long as Lambert did regardless of what happens.

At the risk of stating the obvious, i'm finding it almost impossible to figure out what the **** Timbo was thinking in terms of substitutions. Every single game since he's joined, you almost have to have a bulldozer to move aside the frenzied posts on VillaTalk screaming for Gil during matches. Could all those Villa talk members be wrong? I don't think so.

Edited by Plastic Man
  • Like 1

I fail to see the relevance of whether he is better than Lambert or not - what matters is whether he is good enough to keep us in the division....

I agree. I guess the thing that worries me about today's substitutions is that it's almost as if he really didn't think we had a chance against Manchester United, and that doesn't seem like the Tim Sherwood that I know. so I'm a little confused.

His insistence of playing Weimann N'Zog and Grealish, and now Cole , ahead of Gil baffles me.

My one main fear of Sherwood is his arrogance will get in the way of competence.He made bad subs last wek against Swansea, and he picked a strange team today, and then made the wrong subs again.Starting to get a bit worried tbh.

• Like 1

His insistence of playing Weimann N'Zog and Grealish, and now Cole , ahead of Gil baffles me.

My one main fear of Sherwood is his arrogance will get in the way of competence.He made bad subs last wek against Swansea, and he picked a strange team today, and then made the wrong subs again.Starting to get a bit worried tbh.

His inability to give Gil any sort of game time tells me that he really doesn't have much of a clue to be honest. 

I don't think its a question of whether he's good enough, its more about whether the players are good enough! Lets face it when he took over we had just lost 7 games in a row, so I fail see why any blame can be attached to Sherwood when we loose as expected 3-1 to United. 

• Like 1

Â