Camping

tonyh29

Last year I went with the wife and kids to Camp Bestival and despite my feeble attempts at erecting  (snigger) a tent  we all seemed to enjoy it to the point we've got tickets for it again this year

I borrowed just about everything last year and we ate via the various stalls (I'm still paying off the mortgage on that one !!) 

so this year I ought to be a bit more prepared ... and have a tent if nothing else 

Some tents  I've read about seem decent but then you read the reviews and they seem to let water in or aren't very insulated etc

thus , I'm looking for some suggestions from experienced campers out there on a tent that I need to get , preferably one that can be put up in 25 seconds and is big enough for 4 people and a bit of room for the stuff that Mrs H will pack that we invariably won't need .

Depending on how much you want to spend the air tents are good. Vango airbeam or slightly cheaper but still good higear airgo.

With 2 parties you'd probably be better with a vis a vis tent such as a higear Kalahari (I think). They're really cheap and easy to put up. If you get a package from go outdoors with the carpet, porch and footprint it works out really nice.

I'd make sure you get lots of good seating and lots of electric stuff like extension leads etc. Also get a travel fridge.

Careful though, it reels you in :-)

• Like 1

Our Tony, going camping! Has hell frozen over? No doubt you'll be taking a guitar with you to sing around the camp fire?  :P

A man with braids in his hair spoke to me last time  .. i blanked him of course but it was a close call

• Like 3

yep,

Just go to Go Outdoors, join up for the discount, and buy the big tent they have on special offer that week.

Then wander around deciding whether you really need that hands free headtorch, helmet mounted camera and velcro pants.

• Like 3

I have a Flash.

Essentially a hula hoop you throw in the air that comes down as a tent.

It's just for sleeping. The group I camp with have a yurt as a lounge if rain stops play.

Coleman make good tents, if you want something to keep to use again.

Air beam tents are great if you have the money. 

There are also tents which you can extend over time. which is great if you want a core living space then make it much larger over time. 

Most tents nowadays can take more of a battering than cheap ones of old. 

There's a number of sites offering reviews and videos on YouTube on the benefits and pitfalls of different tent types and makes. 

If you are lazy and have a bit of money air beam tents are great tech tents for you. 

If you want inbetween then trailer tents aren't that much more if you buy used ones. Camplet offer a great luxury choice, but moreso once you are holidaying regularly for weekends away about't UK. 

I work in the industry (sort of) so know a bit about it. 

Â