The 2015 General Election

tonyh29

General Election 2015  

178 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote at the general election on May 7th?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Regionally based party (SNP, Plaid, DUP, SF etc)
    • Local Independent Candidate
    • Other
    • Spoil Paper
    • Won't bother going to the polls

This poll is closed to new votes

Shy tory syndrome amazes me - wherever you go - theres seems to be an anti tory alliance - yet IMO they will win this election.

The pollsters factor in shy tory sydrome, and calculate that a good % of 'Don't Knows' actually vote Tory.....

Its a bit ironic really - the bad repuation IMO comes from the latter thatcher years - but these years are what many tories regard as the golden era.

FWIW - I think Clegg will jump at helping the tories in power again - whether his party would stomach another full blown coalition is debatable. I think Conservative largest party - supported to some extent by the lib dems is the most likley scenario...

I was quite impressed with Clegg yesterday. 

When he said he had an absolute promise, a red line, that he would want extra spending on education he was asked if that was actually true and could he be trusted on it given that he held up the signed pledge last time about tuition fees.

Boldly, he explained that this education promise was on the first page of the manifesto, whereas the silly old stuff about tuition fees, whilst regrettable, had never been on the first page.

For some reason I can't explain, I'm more disappointed when a Liberal lies than when (both) the others do. I think maybe I expect more of them, whereas Labour and tory you know its just words for the sake of words and means less to them than reading the ingredients off a random packet of something.

• Like 3

yup, me too.

tends to be them, or libdems generally.

I've voted lib dem, labour & conservative perviously - Green this time.

I'm genuinely beffudled that anyone could vote both Tory and Green in a pretty short lifespan. The Tories and the Greens are so far apart ideologically and practically as to make it a really absurd revelation.

Unless of course you didn't know what you were doing previously, and have now had some sort of epiphany?

yup, me too.

I'm genuinely beffudled that anyone could vote both Tory and Green in a pretty short lifespan. The Tories and the Greens are so far apart ideologically and practically as to make it a really absurd revelation.

Unless of course you didn't know what you were doing previously, and have now had some sort of epiphany?

I got older and learned about stuff.

People change opinions.  Unless you're one of these I AM A CONSERVATIVE/LABOUR/LIB DEM nutters.

It's like religion as far as I'm concerned, people blindly backing a party - moronic.

• Like 1

I was a rabid Lib Dem supporter last election as they had the best policies and alignment of the visible (to me) parties and it seemed there was a genuine movement towards them so we could get a major political shift.

Then they found themselves in the awkward position of having to form a coalition with the Tories or leave the country with a hung parliament.

Their major headliner IIRC was proportional representation. They got their way with that but only a referendum for alternative vote, which nobody wanted anyway so the vote failed.

And since then they've failed to keep any kind of control on the really unpopular Tory actions such as de facto privatisation of the NHS and charging for education.

Can anyone explain why they're now so hated by their previous supporters other than failing to stop the Tories doing what the Tories do?

I'm stuck between an idealistic vote with the Greens or a tactical vote with Labour to get Conservative out.

I was a rabid Lib Dem supporter last election as they had the best policies and alignment of the visible (to me) parties and it seemed there was a genuine movement towards them so we could get a major political shift.

Then they found themselves in the awkward position of having to form a coalition with the Tories or leave the country with a hung parliament.

Their major headliner IIRC was proportional representation. They got their way with that but only a referendum for alternative vote, which nobody wanted anyway so the vote failed.

And since then they've failed to keep any kind of control on the really unpopular Tory actions such as de facto privatisation of the NHS and charging for education.

Can anyone explain why they're now so hated by their previous supporters other than failing to stop the Tories doing what the Tories do?

I'm stuck between an idealistic vote with the Greens or a tactical vote with Labour to get Conservative out.

they did block the Tory boundary changes , even if it was done out of spite rather than motive , possibly if they hadn't the Tories would be looking at a majority this time around

I'm not a fan of tactical voting , it's done by the uber clever to show how clever they are when in reality anyone that thinks a tactical vote to remove Cameron and replace him with Miliband needs a straight jacket  .. yeah yeah I get that Cameron is lazy and a bit of a liability at times , but at least replace him with some vaguely competent whilst being oh so clever 

some study estimates up to 9% of voters mark their ballot papers tactically, influencing the results of about 45 seats in the process .... that could make a big difference this time around

that swapvote website is the latest left wing brainchild to actively encourage tactical voting and of course in no way allows for any manipulation  :rolleyes:

Edited by tonyh29

Lolz at those who would even consider voting Green Party. They are totally bonkers. The policies are bordering from the ridiculous to barking mad.

Welcome to Villatalk , home of the bonkers ,  ridiculous and barking mad :D

Lolz at those who would even consider voting Green Party. They are totally bonkers. The policies are bordering from the ridiculous to barking mad.

depending on your viewpoint - they all are.

#donnieformod

I won't vote for them I don't think.

The spectrum test tends to align me with them, but I don't particularly align myself to anything they say. And Natalie Bennet is probably the least inspiring leader I've ever seen.

If I did vote for them it would be a protest vote really. 

Doesn't matter in the end. They'll all do the same shit anyway.

Because they don't have many hardline supporters like Labour or the Tories. Because people are not used to coalition governments and ludicrously expected them to be able to deliver their entire manifesto. Because it has suited the Tory party and their friends in the media to make the Lib Dems the whipping boys of government to take the heat off their own performance. 

yup, me too.

Depends on what policy you deem important though  ....

Immigration the Greens aren't that far away from the Tories ( or indeed most of the other parties )

EU - don't the Greens also promise a referendum on Britain's EU membership ?

IF ( admittedly a big if) they are the only policies that you base your decision on then ( hello Ukip)  then arguably you could easily flip between the two  

Because they don't have many hardline supporters like Labour or the Tories. Because people are not used to coalition governments and ludicrously expected them to be able to deliver their entire manifesto. Because it has suited the Tory party and their friends in the media to make the Lib Dems the whipping boys of government to take the heat off their own performance. 

That's definitely part of it, but I think there's another part as well. I think a large number of LD supporters 5 years ago were of the view that they were a left leaning, "nice" party, who cared about the environment and the young and were pro europe and kind of open in outlook.

Then they got into bed with the Tories and bad things happened. Bad things that LD voters most certainly didn't want to happen. People felt betrayed, basically, and the tuition fees thing has been such a weight on them, because it's like a beacon of that betrayal.

yup, me too.

Depends on what policy you deem important though  ....

Immigration the Greens aren't that far away from the Tories ( or indeed most of the other parties )

EU - don't the Greens also promise a referendum on Britain's EU membership ?

IF ( admittedly a big if) they are the only policies that you base your decision on then ( hello Ukip)  then arguably you could easily flip between the two  

But I'm not voting for their policies, I'm voting for them in a vain attempt to pull the other parties in line with my own thinking.

• Like 1

That's definitely part of it, but I think there's another part as well. I think a large number of LD supporters 5 years ago were of the view that they were a left leaning, "nice" party, who cared about the environment and the young and were pro europe and kind of open in outlook.

Then they got into bed with the Tories and bad things happened. Bad things that LD voters most certainly didn't want to happen. People felt betrayed, basically, and the tuition fees thing has been such a weight on them, because it's like a beacon of that betrayal.

I also think for years - the Lib dems could conjure up policies and discussion documents, make idealistic speeches ....it never mattered they weren't ever going to be brought to book

• Like 1

Even though by and large its now seen that tuition fees were a good thing  ...the  reforms have not just helped universities, but they have done more for the poorest students ...and  the evidence bears it out. 

• Like 1

Even though by and large its now seen that tuition fees were a good thing  ...the  reforms have not just helped universities, but they have done more for the poorest students ...and  the evidence bears it out. 

Now there's a claim that needs substantiating! ;)

Now there's a claim that needs substantiating! ;)

As a parent thats not my experience.

It turns the universties into organisations that hunt students @ £9k a time ..