New manager

reykjavik

to be honest I can't see a Howe or a Warburton coming in and lifting our players  .. Whatever their merits they haven't managed at the top level , been there won that and got the T-shirt

Sherwood ... same boat really , he might come in like Gregory did after he followed Little and wise crack and laugh the team to safety   ... equally he is still unproven

Looking around  .. someone who can come in motivate the current players , lift the club , play an up tempo game .... win you 5 games out of your next 12   .... Probably Martin O'Neil would be exactly who you are looking for  ...

I don't see it happening of course , but I'm struggling to come up with a saviour  .... whoever it is will be better than Lambert for sure .. but at present we need a bit more than that

Bloke from brentford or rayo vallecano , if anyone

Jemez sounds very good!! A sort of Pochettino sort of feel to it (Young manager who is doing well in Spain)

A good article regarding him below seeing as Brentford apparently want him at end of the season. 

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/who-potential-brentford-manager-paco-8616637

Paco Jemez is the man tipped to replace Mark Warburton as Brentford manager should the popular Bees boss leave at the end of the season.

The west Londoners are reported to have spoken to the Rayo Vallecano boss about taking over at Griffin Park in the summer and the news has overshadowed preparations for tonight's game with Watford.

In his first season with the club, Rayo finished in eighth place and would have qualified for the Europa League but for their finances.

Despite having the lowest budget in La Liga, nearly 100 times smaller than Real Madrid's, Vallecano continue to punch above their financial weight, finishing a creditable 12th last season and they sit in the same place with 16 games remaining.

Both Paco and Warburton have similar philosophies when it comes to playing style with the Spaniard once saying: “playing good football is always the shortest road to victory,” which would explain why Matthew Benham would consider a move for the former Spanish defender.

The 44-year-old has earned plaudits for his efforts with the Spanish club, with Pep Guardiola saying Bayern, Barcelona and Rayo are the only sides in the world to attempt bold positional play with Paco's side having more of the ball than Barca last season.

The Spaniard has a belief in attacking football and playing the ball on the floor, once saying: “when a coach asked me to kick the ball long I hated it, because what I liked was playing football.”

Warburton has said that 'Plan B' is to do 'Plan A' better and Paco appears to agree with that mantra as his WhatsApp status once ran: "The only satisfaction to be derived from losing is knowing that you did all you could to win.”

While the Brentford boss and Paco share their preferred playing styles, the Spaniard has played at the highest level.

The former defender played in La Liga for Vallecano, Deportivo La Coruna and Real Zaragoza, winning the Copa del Rey in 2001 and 2004.

Paco made 21 appearances for Spain and was involved in La Roja's Euro 2000 campaign where they were beaten in the quarter finals by eventual winners France.

He moved into management in 2007, taking over Alcala, before taking over at Cordoba, Cartagena, Las Palmas and Cordoba again before moving to Rayo Vallecano in 2012.

I'd much rather someone like Sherwood who's trying to make a name for himself and get his managerial career started

He's not though is he.

If he was desperate to make a name for himself he'd have taken the baggies job, or the palace job, or the QPR job.

But he's found some bullshit excuse each time because he's so arrogant that he expects to walk into a cushy premier league job after 6 months experience.

He should be snapping people's hands off at every opportunity. There are hundreds of managers out there who would kill for any sort of Premier League job.

He's fluked his way into the Tottenham job for half a season and he's trying to live off his relatively high reputation he's gained from that without risking it on a job that might take him out of his comfort zone.

His stock will probably never be this high again and he knows it so he's waiting around until somebody hands him an easy job on a plate.

I don't want him anywhere near this club. Luckily he's already said he wants a job in London, so hopefully that'll rule him out. Or we'll have the audacity to consider other managers, which he doesn't like so he'd rule himself out. Or we'd refuse to bring every single member of staff to the club that he wants so he'll rule himself out. Or he'll be too afraid of ruining his friendship with Harry Redknapp (or some other manager he's pally with) so he'll rule himself out.

Hopefully if he's considered he'll see Villa as too much of a challenge to risk his precious reputation and he'll find an excuse to pass up the opportunity just like he's done with every other job he's had the PRIVILEGE of being offered so far.

Please link proof of sherwood turning down those jobs and of him saying why like you say.

Please link proof of sherwood turning down those jobs and of him saying why like you say.

Sherwood turns down west brom because he couldn't bring his own staff

Sherwood turns down Palace because Parish was considering other options

There are probably better sources out there. Those were a result of googling each one and picking the top result.
Edited by Stevo985

Don't get me wrong, if this was an actually well known, experienced proven manager making some of these demands, then they could well be valid.

But this is a guy with 6 months experience. he should be jumping at any chance to get a premier league job.

Who does he think is going to offer him a better job than those?

he's still being paid by Spurs AFAIK so he's probably happy to sit back and live on that. Which is fair enough, but it's not exactly the behaviour of a manager who wants to make a name for himself

Is it time for Andy Gray? Maybe even as an assistant (to someone other than Lambert)? Some wanted him back in his Sky days. I think he might have even turned us down at one point because of his lucrative cushy Sky number. But now the landscape has changed. I know he has a less than stellar history with Villa in his latter days at the club that some fans might not be able to get past. I wonder what the general consensus would be though.

Gary Neville in as assistant manager

I suggested him a few weeks ago

Someone asked him on Twitter if he'd go into management and his response was "I have a big decision to make over the next few months"

I think he'd consider it. I'd be happy with that. he is inexperienced as a manager obviously, but he clearly knows his shit.

Is it time for Andy Gray? Maybe even as an assistant (to someone other than Lambert)? Some wanted him back in his Sky days. I think he might have even turned us down at one point because of his lucrative cushy Sky number. But now the landscape has changed. I know he has a less than stellar history with Villa in his latter days at the club that some fans might not be able to get past. I wonder what the general consensus would be though.

Andy Gray was Big Ron's assistant briefly, before leaving to concentrate on his Sky career. I am not sure he is best qualified to be coaching nowadays. I agree that we need to sort out the coaching side of things if Lambert is to stay on.

At the moment there are two options: First is to fire Lambert and bring someone esle in, the second (which should have been sorted months ago) is to keep Lambert and hire a decent set of coaches to work alongside him. Karsa and Culverhouse have not been satisfactorily replaced, and although we weren't particularly great while they were here, we have got considerably worse since they were dismissed.

Someone asked him on Twitter if he'd go into management and his response was "I have a big decision to make over the next few months"

I think he'd consider it. I'd be happy with that. he is inexperienced as a manager obviously, but he clearly knows his shit.

Didn't he get a bumper contract recently off Sky? Was he asked on twitter before or after that, and was that perhaps the decision he had to make at the time? I can't imagine him risking what he's got at Murdoch Towers for the high risk world of football management. But if he did, I wouldn't put it past him to give the Salford City Reds a year just to see what it's like :)

Didn't he get a bumper contract recently off Sky? Was he asked on twitter before or after that, and was that perhaps the decision he had to make at the time? I can't imagine him risking what he's got at Murdoch Towers for the high risk world of football management. But if he did, I wouldn't put it past him to give the Salford City Reds a year just to see what it's like :)

It was 22nd Jan.

I got the quote wrong. What he said was "I have a decision to make in the next 18 months"

Presumably he's just thinking that if it's a career he wants to explore then he'll do it in the next couple of seasons, so it's probably nothing to read into too much.

But it shows, imo, that he's considering it. And if he is, and he gets a phonecall from us offering him the job and nice contract, he might be tempted by it.

Not saying it's likely, but he's someone I actually like. Despite the fact I hated him as a player. It's only based on a hunch and his analysis but he strikes me as somebody who will make a very good manager and I'd be fine with us being the club he gives it a go with.