What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It's typical bland 80s shit. 

I think he could have cut it in the 60s and 70s.

Georgios was a talent.

Don't be distracted by the jacket, look at the mic technique ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xann said:

I think he could have cut it in the 60s and 70s.

Georgios was a talent.

Don't be distracted by the jacket, look at the mic technique ;)

I liked that post, despite not liking the song, or Queen, or the jacket or the mic technique or that type of music. But I do agree that GM was pretty good at what he did and had a lot of talent. He was a pretty good musician.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I liked that post, despite not liking the song, or Queen, or the jacket or the mic technique or that type of music. But I do agree that GM was pretty good at what he did and had a lot of talent. He was a pretty good musician.

**** George Micheal. This guy is how you do it. The audience can relate to him and he gives them hope. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Both, tbh. 

... but George Michael can sing.

That doesn't make him slightly less odious?

You're a harsh marker if you're holding them in equal contempt? :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xann said:

... but George Michael can sing.

That doesn't make him slightly less odious?

You're a harsh marker if you're holding them in equal contempt? :)

Joe Satriani can play guitar 'better' than Neil Young. George Michael could sing 'better' than Bob Dylan. That has no bearing on what I like to listen to. Cultural things matter. GM came out of Wham! His appeal was to teenage girls and gay men. I hated the whole thing. I recognise the technical skill in making that sort of music, but Careless Whisper was never going to mean a damn thing to me. Whereas, say (randomly) 'Meet Me On The Corner' by Lindisfarne, did. It's tribal. 

Edited by mjmooney

56 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Joe Satriani can play guitar 'better' than Neil Young. George Michael could sing 'better' than Bob Dylan. That has no bearing on what I like to listen to. Cultural things matter. GM came out of Wham! His appeal was to teenage girls and gay men. I hated the whole thing. I recognise the technical skill in making that sort of music, but Careless Whisper was never going to mean a damn thing to me. Whereas, say (randomly) 'Meet Me On The Corner' by Lindisfarne, did. It's tribal. 

Sure.

I think (in my world) that someone who is talented and does what they want to do, makes music they want to make, comes much higher up the scale than someone who basically has no talent and makes generic tat. GM could play multiple instruments, sing well, write, and was apparently a really, really, nice bloke with it. I find it hard to scorn or condemn him or (most of) his music, even though it's not the sort of thing I'd choose to listen to.

• Like 1

Â