What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

Climbing Jacobs ladder by Bernice Reagan,  it's sung in the style of the old black spiritual hymn, and I defy anyone who is of a decent nature to listen to this and not  be moved. 

I first discovered it whilst watching the Ken Burns documentary Civil war, which incidentally is one of the best docs I've seen .

Just learned that Robert "Strängen" Dahlqvist has passed away, 40 y.o

He was the guitarist in one of my all time favorite Swedish bands The Hellacopters, but also made some very good solo albums. Both in English and Swedish.

Genuinely sad about this.

Ronald Corp & The New London Orchestra - 'Elizabethan Serenade'

4 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Climbing Jacobs ladder by Bernice Reagan,  it's sung in the style of the old black spiritual hymn, and I defy anyone who is of a decent nature to listen to this and not  be moved. 

I first discovered it whilst watching the Ken Burns documentary Civil war, which incidentally is one of the best docs I've seen .

It's a popular soundtrack. The tune most people buy it for is Jay Ungar's 'Ashokan Farewell'.

The Burns Jazz docs are well loved too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xann said:

Ronald Corp & The New London Orchestra - 'Elizabethan Serenade'

It's a popular soundtrack. The tune most people buy it for is Jay Ungar's 'Ashokan Farewell'.

The Burns Jazz docs are well loved too.

Haven't seen the jazz docs , must do , also loved the one on New York , the guy who narrates has the sweetest voice ever. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2017 at 21:50, chrisp65 said:

Steve Marriott would've been 70 today.

Small Faces, my Dad's favourite band of all time. Kinks being a close second

• Like 2

Yes, I'd say Small Faces are my fave band.

Kinks are up there too, with a handful of others, but Small Faces have been my thing for well over 30 years.

I had a bit of a fish tank malfunction recently, thankfully all the Small Faces albums were fine, totally unscathed. This Kinks record, not so great.

31898308633_e8f2a8e66d.jpg

Had it since about 1980 in perfect condition, now the cover is badly warped and torn. The inner sleeve is a mess too. But saddest, I'd written a load of notes inside the sleeve in blue ink and it's all washed out.

Yeah, don't store your good shit under a **** fish tank. Lesson learnt. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yes, I'd say Small Faces are my fave band.

Kinks are up there too, with a handful of others, but Small Faces have been my thing for well over 30 years.

Dad?

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

Dad?

Did your mum work the South Wales hotel and restaurant circuit, early 1980's?

True story alert: I went out partying one Saturday night, met up with a new girl I hadn't seen before, turned out she was new in town. Went back to her place had to stay quiet because of the parents. Anyway, I stayed a few hours, we got to know each other quite well.

But I had to work Sunday morning shift at the hotel, just a block up the hill from this house I was in, which was handy. So I stayed as long as possible then slipped away. A fifty metre jog up the hill, in to the hotel, a shower in a vacant room, bit of breakfast and start work.

Mid shift I'm passing reception and there's a new receptionist, nice enough woman. Get chatting, ask her where she lives and she says 'ooh, really close, this job is brilliant I live just down there.' She pointed at the house I'd left an hour earlier. I'd been with her daughter all night!

I might be in the wrong thread...here's some Conway Twitty..

• Like 4

Â