What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

Ripple posted on a couple of other threads is from the fantastic Grateful Dead album, American Beauty. Arguably you only need one GD album and its that, at a push Workingmans Dead. Ripple is a great song, but my favourite from American Beauty is Box of Rain

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Seat68 said:

This is Gordon McIntyre, he used to be in the criminally underrated band, Ballboy. I learned today that he released an album in 2022, considering buying it based on the tracks I have listened to this morning.

That's quite nice, but totally ruled out for me by that synth 'percussion' thing. Sets my teeth on edge. Get a drummer, or don't bother (the song doesn't need it, anyway). 

34 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Ripple posted on a couple of other threads is from the fantastic Grateful Dead album, American Beauty. Arguably you only need one GD album and its that, at a push Workingmans Dead. Ripple is a great song, but my favourite from American Beauty is Box of Rain

Agreed. But if you listened to some of the live jams (Dark Star and the like) you wouldn't know they were the same band. When I first heard the name 'Grateful Dead', I assumed they'd be ultra-heavy, like Black Sabbath. It was quite a shock when I discovered how thin and weedy the vocals were. 

13 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Disagree that you only need 1 Grateful Dead album!   But if I were to own only one I'd choose Europe '72.

Totally ridiculed by my punk friends (anything after Foxx was "shit" to them) in the early 80s when I owned this ... but I never stopped being a huge fan of the whole album. The Peter Saville cover, too -- just brilliant.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

8 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Disagree that you only need 1 Grateful Dead album!   But if I were to own only one I'd choose Europe '72.

I was going to ask you as I know you are a fan, American Beauty and Workingman's Dead both have the sound I like by The Grateful Dead, do they have similar albums?

On 15/09/2023 at 22:50, Seat68 said:

I was going to ask you as I know you are a fan, American Beauty and Workingman's Dead both have the sound I like by The Grateful Dead, do they have similar albums?

Though there were some songs of similar style on later studio albums, there aren't any entire albums like those two.  There are several live albums from that era that contain some songs from those two plus others.  Europe '72 is fantastic.  Skull & Roses (officially just called Grateful Dead) and Bear's Choice (officially History of the Grateful Dead vol.1) were also both recorded after American Beauty and Workingman's but prior to their next studio album.  The compilation album What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been has some good stuff, too.   It's mainly a compilation of their first 5 studio albums (including Beauty and Workingman's) plus some live stuff.

I'd definitely give Europe '72 a listen.

• Thanks 1

Â