What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

I just read that Prince settled out of court with Journey over the similarities between Purple Rain and Faithfully. It's been something I've noticed for a while now actually. It's all but a ripoff. But Prince made his tune much better than the Journey song, but w/e. Journey has enough money anyway. Their most lucrative tour was the one they did with their new singer a few years ago. It's crazy if you think about it. If you had just ONE hit song, you're basically set for life, if you're smart with your money.

It occurred to me after I watched this that Prince was perhaps the last of a particular brand of performer. I think of Louis Armstrong, Cab Calloway, Little Richard, James Brown, Michael Jackson and Prince. These guys are the Mt. Rushmore of American R&B music.

This performance is pure showbiz schmaltz, but it's totally intentional and just pure fun. I'm old enough to remember some parents were scared of Prince, like an Elvis effect type thing. Too much sexuality to handle I guess. But in retrospect, Prince was just a pure old school artist the whole time he was active. He somehow managed to be "retro" at every step of his career. He incorporated imagery into his music platform better than maybe any other popular music act, ever. I still get hung up on the fact David Bowie is just recently dead. They were very similar in their approach to music, fashion, visual art and fame. 

I have become a little obsessed with a song by Martin Carr (ex Boo Radleys) called The Santa Fe Skyway. I believe it's the best song to never chart. 

Thank you. 

Â