What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

Actually I'm listening to this right now…

Richard Norris was in my year at Uni. I used to go to his club nights, he used to come to mine. Kept a close watch on his career ever since. He was mildy famous even then tbh, he was running Bam Caruso Records at the same time as being a student. Must say his Time and Space Machine stuff, whether its his original material or his remixes of other peoples tunes is probably my favourite period of his.

Thought it was going to be this Jane for a minute

Nah - Not really my bag. I do have some of the Cherry Red stuff from around that period. Marine Girls, Tracey Thorn and the Dead Kennedys. Picked up from work during the mid nineties, I wouldn't have bought them.

Not sure that the Jane and Barton was mastered to CD at the time, though a quick look at Discogs suggests there was one - Japan only.

Actually I'm listening to this right now…

Richard Norris was in my year at Uni. I used to go to his club nights, he used to come to mine. Kept a close watch on his career ever since. He was mildy famous even then tbh, he was running Bam Caruso Records at the same time as being a student. Must say his Time and Space Machine stuff, whether its his original material or his remixes of other peoples tunes is probably my favourite period of his.

I always thought that 'Swamp Thing' made a lot of people think they were a one-hit-wonder that disappeared off the face of the earth. The thing is, the rest of the tracks on that album are nowhere near as cheesy as that lead single. I'd already experienced quite a bit of their work before that single (I think it was a remix of an ambient track by the Orb that introduced me), but not many are aware of the pre-Grid association with Soft Cell and the subsequent outstanding work Norris has done with Erol Alkan in the Wizard's Sleeve remixes

Edit - for the record, I also am a big fan of Warpaint so quids in here. Just bought the new LP, shrink wrap coming off tonight!

Edited by islingtonclaret
  • Like 1

Â