What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

I could be wrong but I don't think Coltrane is playing on that track, the Sax definitely sounds like Shepp, going by other songs I've heard of his.

Edit: just checked, Coltrane plays on this

And a version of 'My Favorite Things', I guess it's a sort of split album.

Edited by useless

Ah, good to know. Split albums were such a 60's thing. My father had a Jimi Hendrix/Otis Redding record on vinyl. I had no time for Otis, so the Jimi side ended up with scratches and dents in it. Worth every spin.

• Like 1

Ah, good to know. Split albums were such a 60's thing. My father had a Jimi Hendrix/Otis Redding record on vinyl. I had no time for Otis, so the Jimi side ended up with scratches and dents in it. Worth every spin.

Live at Monterey Pop, by any chance?
  • Like 1

Say what?! :o

• Like 1

Live at Monterey Pop, by any chance?

Yep.

I love soul and R&B, but I could never get into Otis Redding. Still can't. I find his singing style kind of basic, and the tunes as well. 

I love soul and R&B, but I could never get into Otis Redding. Still can't. I find his singing style kind of basic, and the tunes as well. 

i2FW44AuERydU.gif

• Like 1

I'm not getting any younger :)

EDIT -

And to be fair, in times like this, it always seems to be this band, but also, more specifically, this song....

Here's a thought for every man who tries to understand what is in his hands. He walks along the open road of Love & Life, surviving if he can 

Bound with all the weight of all the words he tried to say, chained to all the places that he never wished to say. Bound with all the weight of all the words he tried to say and as faced the sun he cast no shadow 

As they took his soul they stole his pride.

Always prefer Noel singing.

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 1

Redding - great voice, yes. But he massively overdid the mannerisms, the grunts, the fa-fa-fas, to the point of self parody. I'd take Solomon Burke, Wilson Pickett, Don Covay, Al Green, Bobby Bland and many others over most of Otis's output.

Redding - great voice, yes. But he massively overdid the mannerisms, the grunts, the fa-fa-fas, to the point of self parody. I'd take Solomon Burke, Wilson Pickett, Don Covay, Al Green, Bobby Bland and many others over most of Otis's output.

disappointed Big Phil.jpeg

I'm not going to argue with your opinion, because it's an opinion. For me though, Otis has the greatest voice of any singer ever, of any genre. Raw power and emotion. He epitomises Soul music in my opinion. 

Â