Paul Lambert

limpid

Nope. You wrote that putting things that happen on the pitch down to coaching is a false narrative - i.e. bullshit, as I believe you put it. I pointed out that Dr Fox disagrees with you.

How helpful of you. Not strictly true, though.

No, it is strictly true, because that's what he's actually quoted as saying in the interview. Edited by Villanun

Those of you who want Lambert out what would it take for you to change your minds in the near future?

For me I've been swayed so often by those little spells of positivities that last for maybe month or so. The two times I've been in the "Lambert out" camp (hate those labels though) was at the end of last season and now after this horrendous run.

I think he needs a bit more than a few games of positivity to show that he's on the right track. Hopefully last weekends second half is the start but we need see some consistency for maybe 1-2 months. By consistency I don't mean winning every match, just showing with performances and results that we are on to something.

Lambert has gotten many chances and I hope he'll somehow change this team but I doubt it very much if you look at his whole tenure here.

A top half finish next season and winning more than half our games at home. Next season will be his fourth, and if we're even still in this division, it is high time to be reaping some rewards from the patience he's been shown. Since I think there's literally no chance of a top half finish ever with this manager, I don't imagine I'll ever change my mind about him now. Certainly beating a lower league team 2-1 at home in a cup game isn't enough to sway me. I believed in him for a long time, and supported him in conversations and on here for months after most people had turned against him. I'm not going to suddenly think everything's alright again. It's all completely pointless, though, obviously, because he won't even be sacked if we go down. 

Those of you who want Lambert out what would it take for you to change your minds in the near future?

For me I've been swayed so often by those little spells of positivities that last for maybe month or so. The two times I've been in the "Lambert out" camp (hate those labels though) was at the end of last season and now after this horrendous run.

I think he needs a bit more than a few games of positivity to show that he's on the right track. Hopefully last weekends second half is the start but we need see some consistency for maybe 1-2 months. By consistency I don't mean winning every match, just showing with performances and results that we are on to something.

Lambert has gotten many chances and I hope he'll somehow change this team but I doubt it very much if you look at his whole tenure here.

A top half finish next season and winning more than half our games at home. Next season will be his fourth, and if we're even still in this division, it is high time to be reaping some rewards from the patience he's been shown. Since I think there's literally no chance of a top half finish ever with this manager, I don't imagine I'll ever change my mind about him now. Certainly beating a lower league team 2-1 at home in a cup game isn't enough to sway me. I believed in him for a long time, and supported him in conversations and on here for months after most people had turned against him. I'm not going to suddenly think everything's alright again. It's all completely pointless, though, obviously, because he won't even be sacked if we go down. 

At least 10 home wins... so basically being top 6 is the only thing that works for you?

Can you not call him Dr Fox please? That guy is a potential sex offender.

No smiley, so assume you are blinkered on the matter and have the guy banged to rights already.

Key word 'potential' i.e. unproven... and at the end of the day, still a human being.

I normally like your posts, but not this one, soz. ;)  :(  :)

Welcome to the 21st century UK. Guilty until proven innocent!

Anyway, Tom Fox is just earning his corn and speaking up for his boss, just to let everyone know that Lerner is still Villa owner.

This summer we have a fair few players out of contract, particularly big earners Bent, Given and Vlaar.

Assuming we stay in the Premier League then I would only think it's right and fair that some more realistic funds are put in again to push the team on again.

If nothing else I think Lambert has shown he wouldn't be like O'Neill blowing huge fees and salaries on players who can only decline in value.

To be fair we've assembled a decent enough squad. If some of that high earning deadwood is moved on and replaced with more lads in the Delph, Benteke and Gil category (for quality against price) I think we would have a good team next year.

I've felt for a while Lambert should go because we just needed a change. But if he is staying as Fox implies he is, he should be given a bit more freedom this summer with some of those guys off the books.

• Like 2

This summer we have a fair few players out of contract, particularly big earners Bent, Given and Vlaar.

Assuming we stay in the Premier League then I would only think it's right and fair that some more realistic funds are put in again to push the team on again.

If nothing else I think Lambert has shown he wouldn't be like O'Neill blowing huge fees and salaries on players who can only decline in value.

To be fair we've assembled a decent enough squad. If some of that high earning deadwood is moved on and replaced with more lads in the Delph, Benteke and Gil category (for quality against price) I think we would have a good team next year.

I've felt for a while Lambert should go because we just needed a change. But if he is staying as Fox implies he is, he should be given a bit more freedom this summer with some of those guys off the books.

Given? Think his deal still has another 18 months or so. Either way though with Bent going it would be good to see those wages reinvested elsewhere.

Nope. You wrote that putting things that happen on the pitch down to coaching is a false narrative - i.e. bullshit, as I believe you put it. I pointed out that Dr Fox disagrees with you.

How helpful of you. Not strictly true, though.

No, it is strictly true, because that's what he's actually quoted as saying in the interview.

This is what he's actually quoted as saying in the interview: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31015504

"I think football's a funny business and I think to put it all on the manager, again, that's a bit of a false narrative," he added.

"There's a lot of things happening at this football club, and clearly what happens on the pitch is a focal point.

"Clearly the manager is the one person who can really influence that, so everyone focuses on it.

"Our focus for the last couple of months has been on making sure we support Paul to make us as successful as possible, and I think we're heading in the right direction."

:D

I hereby declare myself the clear winner of this particular bout of intellectual sparring.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner

At least 10 home wins... so basically being top 6 is the only thing that works for you?

Maybe you read something that I didn't but to me winning at least 10 home games only gives us 30 points so I assume that the rest of the points needed to finish in the top half of the league (which I think HV was suggesting) would come from draws and wins at home and away. I am not sure where you get this 'top 6' thing from!

Maybe you read something that I didn't but to me winning at least 10 home games only gives us 30 points so I assume that the rest of the points needed to finish in the top half of the league (which I think HV was suggesting) would come from draws and wins at home and away. I am not sure where you get this 'top 6' thing from!

Past tables and teams winning 10 games at home.

A couple of seasons ago Stoke finished 13th and Bolton finished 14th and they both won 10 games at home. Not really a cast iron guarantee of finishing top 6.

Like HV said, a top half finish which I think is reasonable to expect after 4 seasons.

Edited by pacbuddies

A couple of seasons ago Stoke finished 13th and Bolton finished 14th and they both won 10 games at home. Not really a cast iron guarantee of finishing top 6.

Like HV said, a top half finish which I think is reasonable to expect after 4 seasons.

A top half finish is reasonable, but I don't think it's realistic to be saying "we should win over half our home games".  If we did, chances are we'd be top 6 (given recent tables etc. etc.).  On the other hand...

...if I'm being pedantic, he did say a top half finish as well as winning over half our games at home - neither Stoke nor Bolton achieved this in your example ;)

A top half finish is reasonable, but I don't think it's realistic to be saying "we should win over half our home games".  If we did, chances are we'd be top 6 (given recent tables etc. etc.).  On the other hand...

...if I'm being pedantic, he did say a top half finish as well as winning over half our games at home - neither Stoke nor Bolton achieved this in your example ;)

Yes, you are being pedantic.  ;)

Well, I seem to have cause a lot of confusion! To be fair, perhaps winning 10 home games is a bit of a stretch. But yes, a top ten finish, and winning that number or nearly that number of home games is what I would like. If we finished, say 8th or 9th while only winning 8 or 9 home games I would definitely be okay with it. 

Well, I seem to have cause a lot of confusion! To be fair, perhaps winning 10 home games is a bit of a stretch. But yes, a top ten finish, and winning that number or nearly that number of home games is what I would like. If we finished, say 8th or 9th while only winning 8 or 9 home games I would definitely be okay with it. 

I wasn't confused mate. Your post was perfectly understandable.

• Like 1

13 wins should be the absolute minimum target each season

Considering he is regarded by some as the best manager we have had in over thirty years some might expect that to be fairly easy to achieve.

However, to achieve the 13 wins this season we'll have to win half of our remaining games to reach that minimum target. 

13 wins should be the absolute minimum target each season

There'll have to be a relegation thread though, just in case we lose the other 25 games!

Of course, I think we have had one for 5 seasons on the bounce now so it would be a major loss to VT if we didn't have one.

Â