Paul Lambert

limpid

At the end of the day, I feel Lambert has spent his money well. Very well actually.

Which makes our current position even more disappointing as we should be doing better.

He's bought some decent players, but I don't think he's used his money well at all.  He bought Bennett, Luna, Bacuna and Lowton as full backs, none of whom were any good there, so he's had to go back to using a player that was frozen out for two years.  Then there are the nothing players like KEA, Tonev, Bowery, Sylla and so on who individually didn't cost much, but when you add it all up we'd have been much better with fewer, more expensive players,

As everybody rightly points out though, it's his complete lack of coaching ability that is the main reason he should be sacked.

But all of those players probably cost around 10m alltogether. I think the most expensive of the bunch was probably Lowton for about 2m. They were mostly cheap buys in the hopes that they could improve into a decent PL player. You will always get misses when you do that, and even from your list Bacuna, Lowton and KEA were / are ok. They aren't the best but can fill a position in the squad and deputise in the case of injury.

If you wanted to be sure that you would fill those positions with proven quality you'd probably be talking about at least 5m per player.

He has been good when buying players around the 5m mark, so 2 quality players would surely have been the better option.

He went cheap, young and hungry, because of inexperience or naivete, but has now changed tack. That is ok, he is a relatively inexperienced manager, and can be forgiven for wrong decisions. It can be rectified, but I think he does not know how to rectify it.

That is his problem at the moment.

Lambert's transfer business, though rather hit and miss, has provided us with a squad which should be doing better, but poor management and coaching is holding them back.

To me, that places the responsibility firmly with Lambert, in spite of Lerner's mishandling of the club.

• Like 2

Bacuna showed more in his few appearances run in the team than Cleverly has all season.   Unbelievable from PL not to play him more when we have been struggling.

Bacuna seems to have turned into Zidane sitting on that bench. I'll give you that he's capable of offering more attacking threat than Tomcles, but he's also comparatively a loose cannon and just as capable of going missing.

• Like 1

To a large extent the amount you pay for players determines the quality your going to get. That we're doing quite poorly is a reflection on the quality of player are able to afford. Somehow individual players seem to get overrated and so when you put them together people mistakenly think we shoul be doing a lot better. Paul's done well to get them fighting for their lives and with a good chance of staying up.

I do not see much fight in them.

They look rudderless and without belief.

• Like 2

A loss to Bournemouth and this guy surely couldn't be justified in staying.

He's here until the end of the season I think people need to get used to that

Unfortunately, I think he will be here until the end of his contract or we are sold, whichever happens first.

Bacuna showed more in his few appearances run in the team than Cleverly has all season.   Unbelievable from PL not to play him more when we have been struggling.

Bacuna seems to have turned into Zidane sitting on that bench. I'll give you that he's capable of offering more attacking threat than Tomcles, but he's also comparatively a loose cannon and just as capable of going missing.

Salifou Syndrome.

Bacuna is ok. He's worth having on the pitch at times for his set piece ability.

But people forget that he's not very good in possession. He wouldn't suit our current style (whether that style is right or not!).

Plus he's looked best at RB. And I wouldn't drop Hutton for him.

• Like 2

a nuclear bomb dropping on Aston Hall wouldn't affect this team.....No one outside supernatural powers....could make it any worse.

ok, ok, ok  slight exaggeration. :D

Edited by TRO

Wouldn't suit our current style?  What style is that exactly.  I don't think he is good as a CM but rather out wide.  He has a very good cross and is excellent at set pieces.  No one is calling him Zidane.  He is more effective than any of our other attacking players bar Benteke.  It is criminal he has not been used more. 

He has more technical ability than most of our players even if he is inconsistent. 

TBF I think that stasis around the club would make it hard for any manager to really motivate the players. I mean it's not like we're actually trying to achieve anything at all. What's the dream they're buying into? 

Surely the manager's job to motivate the players.

The supporters buy into a dream not the players. Players play for a living and presumably want to do their best at that job, and as a by-product improve the club's fortunes.

But they need direction, and I do not think they are getting that at the moment from the manager.

It is so boring reading the same stuff day in day out and people trying to shoehorn in any way possible into any opinion one of the following:

We are crap

We dont score

We are boring

We dont create anything

We only have two good players

(not saying I agree with any of those)

basically to me it is like trying to post anything they can that has a dig at the club / manager / players .  And before anyone has a go at me I know I may have done it the odd time or two,  but really come on people isnt anyone else bored shitless of that?

• Like 1

I'm sure they want to do well in a wishy washy sort of way, of course. Some of them might be really driven. But to really get that extra 10% that makes the difference you need something to really aim for IMO. It's the same in most walks of life, football is no different. Not saying it's not the managers job but he has his hands tied behind his back a little with the non-ambition to the club. 

TBF I think that stasis around the club would make it hard for any manager to really motivate the players. I mean it's not like we're actually trying to achieve anything at all. What's the dream they're buying into? 

The manager should have no problems motivating himself to try to achieve the highest possible league finish and push on from that the next season.If he can't even do that, there's really no point

He just needs to sit the players down and give a rousing, spine-tingling speech about jolly-well-finishing-as high-as-possible-up-the-table. Driven by this mouth-watering prospect, the players will be infused with an animal-like fervour, and play each game frothing at the mouth.

Is that what you mean?

Works for me.

But cannot see Lambert as the man to do it.

Wouldn't suit our current style?  What style is that exactly.  I don't think he is good as a CM but rather out wide.  He has a very good cross and is excellent at set pieces.  No one is calling him Zidane.  He is more effective than any of our other attacking players bar Benteke.  It is criminal he has not been used more. 

He has more technical ability than most of our players even if he is inconsistent. 

Possession based football.

He is technically good at shooting, and running, if that counts as a technique.

His technical ability at passing and generally in possession is poor.

It is so boring reading the same stuff day in day out and people trying to shoehorn in any way possible into any opinion one of the following:

We are crap

We dont score

We are boring

We dont create anything

basically to me it is like trying to post anything they can that has a dig at the club / manager / players .  And before anyone has a go at me I know I may have done it the odd time or two,  but really come on people isnt anyone else bored shitless of that?

You do have to admit Rich.....They ( the team) do lead with their chin.

on a serious note most villa fans i speak to have now turned it in to a joke, because it has become laughable

We are crap

We dont score

We are boring

We dont create anything

A bit like those who try to shoehorn in 'financial restrictions' 'net spend' 'who else could do a better job' comments.

Those comments get rather boring too.

• Like 2

Wouldn't suit our current style? What style is that exactly. I don't think he is good as a CM but rather out wide. He has a very good cross and is excellent at set pieces. No one is calling him Zidane. He is more effective than any of our other attacking players bar Benteke. It is criminal he has not been used more.

Possession based football.

He is technically good at shooting, and running, if that counts as a technique.

His technical ability at passing and generally in possession is poor.

Worse than Gabby, Weimann, NZogbia and Richardson. All who have consistently played ahead of him. Sorry I don't buy that. He may not be the answer to our problems but we could at least try. Not sure why Lambert doesn't. It's not like he's been poor this season when played. He has performed pretty much every time he has been given a chance. Anyways this isn't the Bacuna thread.

Â