Paul Lambert

limpid

I've always wondered this, but should we really be expecting more than that under Randy Lerner? I'm not so sure.

Its a fair question and certainly one that has to be considered when evaluating Lambert.

I don't think we can expect too much. I don't think finishing 9/10th is too unrealistic an expectation to have to aim for.

The thing is we're not progressing at all. Performing better after 3 years is really not unrealistic, I'd say getting better surely is the bare minimum we should see.

This is where I think the two "camps" probably split. 9/10th under Lerner/Lambert just isn't going to happen. Honestly, 12/13th is the best we can hope for in my opinion.

Maybe, I don't think its an easy one to demand but I don't think its a stupidly high expectation.

But like I say it would be nice to actually just improve. The fact we can't do that makes thoughts of finishing higher in the league a bit irrelevant at the moment.

I think a top ten finish is sadly too optimistic for us.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City and Tottenham are six teams that are miles ahead of us as we all know. Then we have the likes of Southampton, Everton (despite their blip), West Ham, Newcastle and Swansea which is the next group of clubs. That's a total of 11 clubs that are in most people's opinion better teams than us. I even think Stoke belong in that group, they are at least not worse than we are.

Realistically I think 11-12th is the best we can hope for. The rest of the teams are all fighting relegation; Aston Villa Crystal Palace, QPR, Burnley, Leicester, Hull, Sunderland and West Brom.

It would be quite an achievement to go down this season over teams like Leicester, Burnley, Hull or Crystal Palace.

Lamberts ya man for all those new and unwanted records we are stock piling!  

• Like 1

It would be quite an achievement to go down this season over teams like Leicester, Burnley, Hull or Crystal Palace.

Agree. Also, our team is more than good enough to fight our way into the top half.

Our team may be but is our manager?

Agree. Also, our team is more than good enough to fight our way into the top half.

Our team may be but is our manager?

No, I don't think he is.

Notice how whenever a mangers job is vacant Lambert is never mentioned? That's because no one else would touch him with a barge pole and he's lucky to still be managing a prem team. For now. Basically everyone knows he is turd

• Like 1

Maybe Newcastle want him?

considering how he has managed to con his way with a certain section of Villa fans even though the records show him to be one of the worst managers ever, maybe Ashley would want him to do the same with the most delusional set of fans ever, the short wave radio army.

If he was any good, and he isn't, then a job like Newcastle would be certainly one that he would be lined up for.

• Like 1

Teams with better first teams than Aston Villa:

Chelsea

Man City

Man Utd

Liverpool

Arsenal

Tottenham

Everton

Southampton

Stoke

West Ham

Newcastle

Swansea

Teams that will outspend Aston Villa under current ownership:

All of the above

I fail to see how we are "more than good enough to fight our way into the top half".  Our team is worse than others and we're spending less.  Unless we manage to either be invested in or unearth some gems on the cheap, we're just not going to improve that much.

Honestly, to break the top 10 would be a great achievement.

Edit:  Actually, maybe Stoke and Newcastle have similar strength first teams to us.  Maybe.

Edited by bobzy

West ham, Stoke, Newcastle and Swansea are not a million miles away from us.

They have some decent players and some poor ones same as us.

They will all outspend us.  They might not be "a million miles away from us", but if they keep spending £20m a transfer window and we spend £7m, they soon will be.

Lambert's fault, of course.  Should've grown more money.

• Like 1

Â