Paul Lambert

limpid

To be fair I think when Lambert first took over he tried to adopt a possession style of play. He then soon realised that it would take years to adapt and probably lead to relegation in the mean time such is the quality of our players That's when back to the walls counter attacking came in. It's ugly to watch but I guess it will keep us in the league.

I've yet to see anyone say that they accept that this is his philosophy and that there happy with it as long as it begins to garner better results.

Let me be the first. I enjoy counter attacking football, I did under O'Neill and should Lambert begin to move us up the table with it then I will again. I also appreciate excellent defensive displays such as the one against Liverpool.

I'm fine with the style.

That's your prerogative and I respect that.

I'd quite like to see a topless Kelly Brook playing up front and challenging for headers.

Just don't expect either to get you too far.  :)

A very similar style of football got us to 6th place for three years on the bounce as well as a cup final with such superstars as Zat Knight, James Collins and Steve Sidwell appearing regularly.  

I've yet to see anyone say that they accept that this is his philosophy and that there happy with it as long as it begins to garner better results.

Let me be the first. I enjoy counter attacking football, I did under O'Neill and should Lambert begin to move us up the table with it then I will again. I also appreciate excellent defensive displays such as the one against Liverpool.

I'm fine with the style.

I'd quite like to see a topless Kelly Brook playing up front and challenging for headers.

Just don't expect either to get you too far. :)

A very similar style of football got us to 6th place for three years on the bounce as well as a cup final with such superstars as Zat Knight, James Collins and Steve Sidwell appearing regularly.

No way was MON's style nothing but counter attack. It was very direct but no way was it defensive. We managed our highest goal return in Premier League history.

The different was we had a lot more quality players.

Trent I know I keep banging on about it but it is frustrating how much we give the ball away. I don't expect us to play a possession game but I do wish we wouldn't lose possession so easily. I appreciate the last three games have been against far superior opposition but I do think at times the team really doesn't help itself.

Hopefully we can get something against Everton and the players can kick on from there.

• Like 1

I'm fine with the style.

No way was MON's style nothing but counter attack. It was very direct but no way was it defensive. We managed our highest goal return in Premier League history.

I agree. I'm just saying, that type of football is one I enjoy. I genuinely have no interest in possession stats.

• Like 1

I'm fine with the style.

I agree. I'm just saying, that type of football is one I enjoy. I genuinely have no interest in possession stats.

Fair enough. I couldn't care less about possession stats either. What I do hate watching is the team work their ass off pressing to win the ball back to just give it away again a few minutes later. Seems to happen way to often.

• Like 1

I Think you'll find a fair few of us would liked to have seen someone with a little more footballing nous given that war chest, but that's a different argument.

(BTW Zat and Sidwell never appeared regularly) 

You have your preference of style and I have mine. I can't debate that. 

I'll just close by saying that I thought Paul Lambert's style would be different to how it turned out.

Then I will be more critical on style of play and things like possession, it isn't that I don't want to see these things or that I'm happy with everything right now but rather I just don't think it is as easy as some would have us believe.

(Sorry to only quote this bit - it was a long post!)

I agree - it isn't easy. I also agree that a sudden change from one style to another while cutting costs and trying to stay in the PL could be disastrous, but an argument could be made that Lambert already took that step in his first season (and we came damn close to disastrous).

There remains, however, a nagging doubt in my mind about Lambert's ability to ever implement this. The usual remit of "cutting costs" and "poor quality players" is not something unique to managers in the PL. Only a few clubs have an open chequebook - the rest have to make do.

What Lambert has been given is time - he's just signed a new contract despite results that would see other clubs move quickly to replace - and this is something unique in the PL.

That being the case, he can gradually bring in a better style across the board (youth, reserves, first team) and work with the existing players at his disposal to improve their suitability to this style all the while scouting others that can replace those who won't fit (*cough*Bent*cough*).

I see little evidence of this, however. Since he has time remaining he lives with "the benefit of the doubt" for now....

... but I can't shake the feeling we are simply treading water with him at the helm.

Not everything is black and white. Just because most clubs don't have limitless funds doesn't mean most other clubs have faced spending restrictions quite as tight as Lambert has here.

So.... that means he doesn't have to make do, doesn't have to try and improve the squad he already has and can't possibly try to implement a better style? I wonder what financial amount you think we need before he becomes responsible?

No manager can plan for transfer budgets or wages as these things are outside their control - tight restrictions or not. You have to plan with what you have and using the former as an excuse means you are only ever treading water till something outside your control changes. Or, in other words, you aren't managing anything.

The constant excuse of financial restrictions doesn't wash with me. I'm not expecting miracles - just signs of improvement, of an actual plan in place. I remain in serious doubt that Lambert can or will ever do different than what we currently see.

• Like 2

with Benteke back, Cole, Grealish, Cleverly, Sanchez and Grealish all available it's going to be interesting to see what Lambert's preferred way of playing will be.

it's unfortunate we got dumped out of another cup against crap opposition as you'd hope we would blood some of the newer players in that competition. I fear the backlash if we send out a weakened side in the FA Cup will mean there won't be much if any experimenting there.

I do think we have the players now to try and vary our style a little and hopefully be a little less one dimensional.

(Sorry to only quote this bit - it was a long post!)

I agree - it isn't easy. I also agree that a sudden change from one style to another while cutting costs and trying to stay in the PL could be disastrous, but an argument could be made that Lambert already took that step in his first season (and we came damn close to disastrous).

There remains, however, a nagging doubt in my mind about Lambert's ability to ever implement this. The usual remit of "cutting costs" and "poor quality players" is not something unique to managers in the PL. Only a few clubs have an open chequebook - the rest have to make do.

What Lambert has been given is time - he's just signed a new contract despite results that would see other clubs move quickly to replace - and this is something unique in the PL.

That being the case, he can gradually bring in a better style across the board (youth, reserves, first team) and work with the existing players at his disposal to improve their suitability to this style all the while scouting others that can replace those who won't fit (*cough*Bent*cough*).

I see little evidence of this, however. Since he has time remaining he lives with "the benefit of the doubt" for now....

... but I can't shake the feeling we are simply treading water with him at the helm.

No problem with the partial quote.

I'm not sure I agree that Lambert drastically changed our style in his first season, although I guess changing from no attacking to counter attacking was a change of sorts. I also don't agree that what Lambert did in his first season almost had disastrous results given we were down there before he arrived, the only real impact of his first season was the removal of some high earners.

I've no issue with you having doubts, in fact I don't blame you I don't think any of us can be certain about what the future holds even if some seem to think they know the future would be better without Lambert. Doubt is more than fair enough as are concerns or even complaints. What I simply don't agree with though is that the circumstances in which Lambert has managed this club are in any way even remotely close to being normal or even rarely replicated in the Premier League because quite simply they aren't.

Yes some clubs have to work with poor or limited players, yes some clubs have to try and reduce wages. But few clubs have done what we have done in the last 2-4 years and even fewer have done it and survived as PL clubs so it is far from being normal.

I agree it is unusual that a manager be given a new deal in his circumstances but that perhaps points to an understanding from Lerner that what has been asked of him isn't normal, that he has done well in difficult circumstances and that perhaps just perhaps he is capable of much better in better circumstances. That remains to be seen, as does if the fans are so willing to give him time many clearly aren't and wanted him gone before the end of his second season. Which is their right, but it is then a little rich for people to then quote the example of Swansea and their way of playing which took years to bed in.

As for your comment regarding players, as I said I think through the likes of Cleverley and Cole he is already trying to bring in players who play a more possession based game.

On the last point about the club treading water, I'm not sure when we spend £10m in a summer we can do a whole lot more but as it is I think we will make small progress this season on last and I don't think we can expect more. As for the years gone under Lambert I'm just glad he kept us treading water while Lerner cut costs because a lot of managers would have let our heads go under.

• Like 1

I Agree with Trents post - mostly. - Where I perhaps disagree is that there should now be an aspiration to 'better' football - granted this won't happen overnight - but with some stability now at the club - I think we should moving towards a better of style of play.

What I fear is happening however is Lambert is making us better at smash and grab - IMO thats a high risk strategy - we can't keep getting enough knife edge results to progress.

• Like 1

I Agree with Trents post - mostly. - Where I perhaps disagree is that there should now be an aspiration to 'better' football - granted this won't happen overnight - but with some stability now at the club - I think we should moving towards a better of style of play.

What I fear is happening however is Lambert is making us better at smash and grab - IMO thats a high risk strategy - we can't keep getting enough knife edge results to progress.

No I agree with you, there should be and my view was the likes of Cleverley and Cole are possible signs of that but I accept you second point that this could also be the case. We will have to see I guess.

Poor example to use. If you know anything about Swansea then you'd know the answer to that.

Give me an example of another team and I'll listen.

I know nothing about Swansea personally. Perhaps you can tell us why that's a poor example before asking for another? (Otherwise you can just keep dismissing them all without having to provide a reason)

Yep I should have but it was a quick comment on the commute in. Stevo has said exactly what I was trying to get at! thanks bud!

Swansea have had their philosophy set in stone for some time now.

As for Lambert, I think he had too much to do in two yrs as in gutting and replacing the squad and keeping us up to even think about embedding a philosophy. I hope now that we've come through the storm that he can now start to implement a style we can stick to.

To be fair though I tend to agree with posters of the opposite opinion, I'm starting to wonder if he is capable of doing this.

Not everything is black and white. Just because most clubs don't have limitless funds doesn't mean most other clubs have faced spending restrictions quite as tight as Lambert has here.

So.... that means he doesn't have to make do, doesn't have to try and improve the squad he already has and can't possibly try to implement a better style? I wonder what financial amount you think we need before he becomes responsible?

No manager can plan for transfer budgets or wages as these things are outside their control - tight restrictions or not. You have to plan with what you have and using the former as an excuse means you are only ever treading water till something outside your control changes. Or, in other words, you aren't managing anything.

The constant excuse of financial restrictions doesn't wash with me. I'm not expecting miracles - just signs of improvement, of an actual plan in place. I remain in serious doubt that Lambert can or will ever do different than what we currently see.

I never said that, I and others are just pointing out the reasons why it may be difficult to improve the style with such limited funds. I think it's pretty obvious that the squad has improved over the last couple of years - we've gone from a midfield of El Ahmadi, Bannan, Ireland, Delph, Herd and Holman to Delph, Westwood, Cleverley and Sanchez.

It's not an "excuse", it's an explanation.

It's like some people think that there can't be mitigating factors.

Â