Paul Lambert

limpid

The past two games, the opposition could have played with no goalkeeper and we still would not have scored. We really are pinning our hopes on Benteke coming back like he used to be and keeping fit for long periods. The same goes for Vlaar, if only to bolster his transfer value.

Edited by George Curtis

The past two games, the opposition could have played with no goalkeeper and we still would not have scored. We really are pinning our hopes on Benteke coming back like he used to be and keeping fit for long periods. The same goes for Vlaar, if only to bolster his transfer value.

That or we are rightly thinking we won't play sides of the quality of Arsenal and Chelsea every week.

quite right and you can extend that further. Look at the newcastle poor impression of a match. Trying to hide behind the fact we played arsenal and chelsea misses a key fundamental issue on lack of attacking creativity. This is something that has been part of the lambert tenure pretty much throughout with the odd exception.

It seems to be excuse after excuse year on year, vlaar injured, benteke injured, okore injured, illness, etc etc, but when you look at the club in general, not just the first team, you see a style of football that is played throughout the club that is bereft on attacking focus.

I appreciate some wont agree but reality does show that despite lerners running of the club, lambert is moulding the playing style of the club into something quite depressing

• Like 3

Trying to hide behind the fact we played arsenal and chelsea misses a key fundamental issue on lack of attacking creativity. 

I assume that was directed at my reply although it isn't quoting it.

You will notice though that the post you do quote, which is being critical of our lack of creativity is focusing on the last two games, it is therefore natural that my reply is in reference to them. It has nothing to do with trying to hide anything.

I don't think we've been creative enough this season in any game, you won't see me having argued that we have anywhere.

I just don't share the belief that this issue will persist all season just as I didn't think the clean sheets would persist all season.

Overall I'm happy with our start, regardless of the limitations and looking forward to seeing how we improve with the return of the absent players. That isn't making excuses, their absence is fact what remains to be seen is if they make a difference, I'm inclined to think they will others seems certain that they won't which is something I find somewhat strange.

• Like 2

I think that the view some hold, showing a lack of belief that all will be well when players return, is down to the historic problem that we have with injuries. We seem to have more than our fair share.

That is fair enough as well. We have been extremely unlucky in that regard and I'd say had more than our fair share, I guess some myself included just presume we will have a bit more luck this season Vlaar excluded.

I do wonder why managers are so against explaining their own thinking, and what they are genuinely pleased about and where they see the team falling down (like someone asked earlier about how eagerly we kick the ball back to the opposition for example).

I know they view knowledge as power, and I know they wouldn't want to get sidetracked into endless debates about it, but a little insight ?

Edit.  We've just played two sides who could probably sell 2 or 3 players for the total value of our club if you believe the press.  Chelsea have arguably the best striker in europe right now and Arsenal had the benefit of not having an illness affect their squad and pre match preparations.

I think people need to get a sense of perspective.  we were never going to challenge for top four but the start we have gives us a chance of not having to scrap around the bottom 4 either

Edited by Richard
  • Like 2

For me, despite the obviously great start ( points wise), the quality of our attacking play is still pretty woeful.

This seems to be borne out by the stats of shots on goal, and on target.

10 points from the first 4 games was a terrific start, but is 10 points from (potentially) 8 games anything to write home about?

By the time we have played Everton, we could be firmly back in the bottom half of the table, off the back of 4 defeats.

It seems to me that we are starting to look for excuses for our results, rather that reasons.

We keep hiding behind FFP rules, virus's, and injuries.

How long will the 'virus' reason be trotted out for further poor results? (No pun intended).

We are starting to sound like Baggies fans with their constant 'it aye fair ' mantra.

At some point we have to acknowledge that our style of play is boring and ineffective and something needs to change if we are to see any improvement.

• Like 1

For me, despite the obviously great start ( points wise), the quality of our attacking play is still pretty woeful.

10 points from the first 4 games was a terrific start, but is 10 points from (potentially) 8 games anything to write home about?

By the time we have played Everton, we could be firmly back in the bottom half of the table, off the back of 4 defeats.

It seems to me that we are starting to look for excuses for our results, rather that reasons.

How long will the 'virus' reason be trotted out for further poor results? (No pun intended).

We are starting to sound like Baggies fans with their constant 'it aye fair ' mantra.

At some point we have to acknowledge that our style of play is boring and ineffective and something needs to change if we are to see any improvement.

Oh dear.

How long will the virus be trotted out? Well depends if it happens again surely I mean if it doesnt happen then it cant be referenced

"It aye fair" - Not sure anyone has said that.  Fairly sure people are trying to understand some reasoning behind our play

Style of play is ineffective - so ineffective that we were unbeaten in first four games winning three of them and beating plop on their turf?

This is a game played on the pitch not on spreadsheets 

I think injuries and lack of funds are valid reasons as to why we've struggled and looked poor at times. But I also think the approach Lambert takes to most games and obviously his coaching and management decisions play a significant part in the poor style of football and weaknesses in defence and attack.

I'm still hoping we will see an improvement this year. Apart from the last two games we've looked much better at the back and our attempt to keep the ball looks like its improved. The real test will come after the next game as I fully expect us to play a similar style against man city.

• Like 2

Oh dear.

How long will the virus be trotted out? Well depends if it happens again surely I mean if it doesnt happen then it cant be referenced

"It aye fair" - Not sure anyone has said that.  Fairly sure people are trying to understand some reasoning behind our play

Style of play is ineffective - so ineffective that we were unbeaten in first four games winning three of them and beating plop on their turf?

This is a game played on the pitch not on spreadsheets 

That is EXACTLY right, its played on a pitch not spreadsheets.

Its played with passion, desire and eagerness.

Each game should be played in the expectation that we can win it, not in accepting that we won't win before a ball has been kicked.

People on here were happy to accept a defeat to chelsea before the game. "They are richer than us, They are better than us, FFP aint fair cos they have all the best players." (paraphrasing)

So, what ? we are in the same league as them. We should try our damnedest to beat them.

Because we have been served up shite for 3 years now (and counting) there is a mindset amongst 'supporters' that this in now our lot and that we should accept that we will never challenge again.

That may be so, but it doesn't mean that the style and quality of play should be so frigging sterile that we barely muster a shot between one game and the next.

That is EXACTLY right, its played on a pitch not spreadsheets.

Its played with passion, desire and eagerness.

Each game should be played in the expectation that we can win it, not in accepting that we won't win before a ball has been kicked.

People on here were happy to accept a defeat to chelsea before the game. "They are richer than us, They are better than us, FFP aint fair cos they have all the best players." (paraphrasing)

So, what ? we are in the same league as them. We should try our damnedest to beat them.

Because we have been served up shite for 3 years now (and counting) there is a mindset amongst 'supporters' that this in now our lot and that we should accept that we will never challenge again.

That may be so, but it doesn't mean that the style and quality of play should be so frigging sterile that we barely muster a shot between one game and the next.

Considering the decent start we had and the serious gulf in class between us and Chelsea, a draw at Stamford Bridge would have been a good result. I agree that we should go in to every game with the mentality that we can win it, and I believe that we do. However, your own expectations have to be realistic. We're off the back of a 4 game unbeaten run, were unlucky to have a virus in the camp before the Arsenal game (I believe a fully fit squad could have actually gotten something from that).

So, 2 losses in 6 games and you feel the team isn't trying to win every game? Yes, we're lacking up front but it's not without trying and hopefully this is something that will change with the return of key players. 

A big positive should be taken from our stronger defence and with hopefully more striking power in the near future it'll make things much more difficult for teams to dominate.

Also, "there is a mindset amongst 'supporters'" irked me, so because some supporters don't share your view makes them 'supporters'?

• Like 1

There is no doubt in my mind that we have tightened up defensively and look more coherent throughout the squad, but, apart from short spells in some games, we still create very little. The strikers have done very well considering the few chances that have been created.

And for long periods in games, we have looked worryingly like the team of the last two seasons.

I suspect a lot of supporters, like me, worry about the future direction of the club under Lambert, and about his ability.

I know about the tough start, injuries, virus, budget, etc, possibly all quite valid, but he has not convinced me yet.

• Like 1

I think the last 2 games are proof that there's a very fine margin between genius and stupid.

Had Coutinho scored with his shot off the post in the last minute at Anfield, we'd have been miffed.

Villa's style of play relies on frustrating the opponents.  If they score first, we'll always struggle.  We have a better defence then attack so we try and use that to our advantage.

If we score first, we can sit back and absorb lots of punishment, and break on teams.

We were playing decent until the first Chelsea goal, which was unfortunate to break to Oscar.

Still, no shame in losing to teams who expect to beat us anyway.

Even under MON in the days of spending £30-40 million a season on players we were consistently beaten by top for teams. It's nothing new, we haven't beaten Arsenal at home since 1998. I can remember MONs strongest side getting beaten 7-1 and 3-0 against Chelsea. Maybe I'm realistic, or even negative, but I don't expect points from these games with our strongest line up. You can talk about the pragmatism of the team, and maybe you have a point. I would argue that half our midfield is new so settling in, and we are missing the only guy at the club who can hold the ball up. Once the big man is back, we will be able to keep the ball higher up the pitch, his link up play brings others into the game. The midfield is keeping the ball better, the back line is stronger I think we can all see that...but the ball never sticks up front, hence the lack of chances.

Â